Author Topic: TIS 4 discussion  (Read 144 times)

Kapalika

TIS 4 discussion
« on: October 31, 2018, 04:10:07 pm »

So excited to dive into this one. I'm actually gonna read it in order instead of jumping around like I might otherwise, helps that the Trapazoidal article is one of the first sections. Onyx had chatted with me about it before and so I've been looking forward to it for months now.

Also crazy to think we are now over a million views and how far we as a community have come in the last couple of years.

After I read through the whole thing I'll give my thoughts, please share yours as well!
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Kapalika

Re: TIS 4 discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 06:12:08 pm »
Also, since I skimmed and caught it, no one tell the readers the term is Shaivite, not Shaivist ;) common mistake

Introduction: Good stuff, again crazy to think we broke a million views.

Invocation to Set: I like the last stanza (?), though I've never fancied the earlier part to say unnatural in essence, but I think the intent, which I agree withi, is the differentiation from the unconscious material.

Trapazoidal Magic: "Satan's Roller Coaster" love it. I also didn't know there was so much history behind the symbolism of Trapazoids. I like the idea of using the black lights, and could see it  being combined with how I use dance music (since black lights and lasers are often used at EDM shows). I might convince ShadowWolf when we get into our apartment to use some elements from this to have a cybergoth / Satanic ritual and set our synths to some dreadful, evil sounding tone and pattern.

But even a classic like the psychedelic trance act, Man With no Name's "Own the World" or "Teleportation" could work... I kinda think the right kind of psychedelic, dark and mysterious music could do wonders here. Have a kind of "explorer of science fiction flavored magic" vibe. Lots of science fiction has psychic and totally alien and bizarre stuff. Really keen of Onyx to touch on the science fiction aspects such as time travel.

Acosmic Path of the Serpent: Consciousness, also called the Black Flame, constantly seeks growth and liberation, whereas the false ego binds us to lower desires that stagnate us and distract us. Well said. which makes his association with Yahweh incredibly fitting. Ya, fuck that guy!

Reading through the rest, I am pleasantly surprised by the section on self-sacrifice and kind of now understand the acosmic approach a bit better, and it's actually closer to my understanding of what I can only term the type of destruction that Shiva performs although I disagree that one need to necessarily subdue the carnal. I didn't understand all the article fully however, for example I never really understood Absurdism as I have trouble seeing from that perspective.

CoS state of the Union: Welp, that's a ton of cash involved, and self masturbating titles. Ugh, this is why people shouldn't be allowed to give themselves titles. Well, they do say a good way to get rich is to start a religion lol.

I also think I see an editing error on page 27. kinda confusing, the way the text wraps around that quote box.

Good thing to note about the copyrights, these things are often covered up by the current CoS. I also love how it's pointed out that the CoS hates TST for actually doing stuff. I think that the point that TST is actually trying to accomplish something rather than pat themselves on the back for feeling special like the current CoS is often overlooked.

"It also revealed that Magister David Harris was still too afraid to tell his parents he was a Satanist." HAHA LOL WHAT FUCKING WHAT??!?!!  I'm from fucking West Virginia and I'm not afraid to tell random people let alone my family. Where is this dude from?

everyone went out of their way to say how that they could get along just fine with Christians They were either lying, or have the patience of saints. I am very cautious about making friends with Christians and I can't with most.

So the very idea that these people could ever work together as a community is completely naïve — misguided idealism, rather than Satanic pragmatism.” (Gilmore, 2007, p.170) And yet we have a community like here on this forum... hmm. worth noting I've already at least met at least one of ya'll in real life so far. I've actually talked with a couple of people about doing some stuff IRL but geography.

Very good piece, with a lot of history I wasn't aware of.

Hierarchy of Needs: I want to sidestep the political aspect and definitions of terms and just comment that I find it refreshing to see a LHP rationale for providing for basic services so that each person has the opportunity to self-actualize. I more or less agree with the pyramid model. I agree with the article with only a few nitpicks, but again I try to keep religion and politics separate. I've actually been thinking about the pyramid of needs as of late, and how I could modify it to fit into my Theory of Aspects, funny enough. I'll have to come back to this article again after I read the rest of volume 4.

Shift from Set to Atman ect:
This is almost entirely like the description of Atman in various Hindu schools, save from Atman's usual equivalence to Brahman, ultimate reality. I'm a little confused by this statement, since Therion says that Seth represents that which defines consciousness. Contextually, most of those Hindu schools define Brahman as pure consciousness with at least the traits of existence and awareness (some schools assign more).

It's interesting to point out the economic rather than moral reasoning for religious laws, something I think most modern Christians and such fail or refuse to see. I've tried to point out that this was the reasoning for banning things such as homosexuality (as it could mean less sons born for war). It's a very salient point on the ancient world's societal rules.

You know, the Mara thing reminds me, that it's said that the negative aspects of our nature is also nessisarily a manifestation of the Buddha nature, hence like the Satan-God union mentioned earlier. This is often the rationale for the LHP practices within Buddhism.

----------

That's what I've gotten through so far... will post the second half after I read that as well (hadn't even had breakfast yet I was so into this!). Looking most forward to Mindmaster's article on page 54 out of the rest.

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 02:59:08 am »
Invocation: I love it.

Trapezoidal Magic: I'm not a big ritual guy, but this makes me want to be. Maybe once we have a fourth room I'll take a corner. I don't even have a set altar right now, though it feels more like the whole house is an altar as it's all spread out. Onyx astonishes, as always.

Liber Draconis: while I think the Draconian/Leviathanite debate is one worth having, I loved this. Paradigm shifting for me, and I want to see more. I will be starting a thread on Liber Draconis when on my laptop so I'll wait, my thumbs are already tired

CoS State of the Union: harsh! Pulls no punches! I love there "TM" thing Adam. Wonder if we'll hear anything back. My position on CoS is well known so...

Hierarchy of Needs: I am glad I kept this short, I think it works well. Wanted to write this essay for years actually.

Seth and Atman...: Therion always gets me, and always with a concise article. I plan to look into Atman further thanks to this article.

Symbols: eventually this will be huge, it will be an appendix in my next book for sure. Rushes a tad much on the insignia, I'd like to do a whole separate essay for that

Plauge: Perfect, MindMaster. Just perfect. Balances the State of the Union well.

Paradox: a very well done explanation of Set's dilemma. Setamontet always impressed me with how concisely yet deeply he can explain even complex esoteric ideas. A true Master.

Sorry, my thumbs are literally dying.

Theater: love it. I'd be very uncomfortable in that situation, but maybe it'd be good for me. No haunted house stuff for me though.

Blasphemy: Awesome!

Crowley's Satanism: I explicitly asked to publish this one for a reason :). Instant classic !!!

Sutekh: I am fascinated by this idea of us creating our own deaths. Will probably make a thread.

S/O/E: epic. I'm almost wondering if we should have published it in two or three parts. I learned a LOT about your views from this, and it was well done. I hope you don't mind me adding that I saw HUGE growth in you as an individual, just think about this vs. the original. There's a point where people formerly at odds gain this higher level of respect, and that's officially happened for me. I love your dark and graphic symbolism,I truly do. But I also love that you can explain yourself in more general terms without losing depth. Truly a sign of a Master. Need to digest more, but this one had to most impact on me related to the AUTHOR if not content. Good fucking job.

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 05:50:35 am »
Seeing you you say that, I read over my article again just to assure an irrational part of me lol

As far as the first one I sent in, for anyone who doesn't know, it was butchered as I had accidentally saved over certain parts with an older draft (I had to rewrite most of it after I realized I had done this). The whole article was written amidst quiting my job and a stressful move so I had a lot on my plate at the time.

So I shouldn't be surprised that now reading over it again I;ve found a handful of small syntax errors that I recognize as the type I tend to make in the editing process when I don't do enough passes...

So Xepra is right, it should of been a 2 or 3 parter. Such things are easier to create and edit.

Part of the problem is that I wanted to give it a personality like I've seen in other texts. So I approached it like writing fiction and poetry more so than usual. I should of separated it more into 3 distinct "acts" that could stand on their own as well as work together. I tend to force myself into certain topics I know are easier to tackle, with strict word counts. This was not one of those times.

That said, I'm glad I had the opportunity to guest write. There was even this moment, when my boss was telling me being a corporate grunt "won't ever be enough" that something clicked for me. I was realized that on an emotional level that religion really is the most important thing to me. It was all just the perfect storm.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:47:12 pm by Kapalika »

Onyx

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 12:58:02 pm »
I liked this idea of doing some commentary, so here are my initial impressions. There is a lot to absorb, so I may update this post in the future.

-Invocation of Set
I've used this for some time (well over a year). I'm glad it was included, sets the stage for the rest of the edition.

-Magic Askew – a guide to Trapezoidal Magic
This is largely about applying aesthetics and psychodrama toward entering a magical mindset. I tried to keep it generally applicable.

-Liber Draconis: The Acosmic Path of the Serpent
An excellent contribution, like one of those books you can't put down. Provides much to consider yet is approachable and useful.

-Church of Satan State of the Union (Part I)
Mr. Smythe holds their feet to the fire in this two-fisted essay which is sure to ruffle some goat hairs.

-Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
Maslow's Pyramid is described, followed by how it may be applied both on a personal level and to society as a whole. It is a fairly simple but useful construct, as one must constantly scrape against the challenges of carnal existence.

-The Shift from Seth and Atman to God and Adam
The final paragraph actually makes a good introduction. The parallels drawn between the current state of the world and the ancient past are fascinating.

-Four Alternative Symbols for Left Hand Path Use
An excellent example of the author's gift for extrapolating meaning from simple symbols.

-The Plague of the Satanic Hegemony
I like a lot of what Mindmaster says in this paper, and the subtle bits of humor in the mix.

-The Paradox of the Black Flame
Expresses the importance of balance in maintaining individuality. The more you control, the more you must become absorbed in the responsibility. Less control results in less individualism. It is a paradox indeed.

-Immersive Theater as Melodrama and Ritual
"Exposure Therapy" is a well-known technique in psychology which I have employed myself to some success. It seems that immersive theater would provide a more direct approach, especially when it comes to "fears in your mind" that don't really have an external cause.

-The Rite of Blasphemy aka The Guide to Going to Hell Forever
I think this would be particularly useful for those who were harmed by religion in some way, or have to work around a bunch of zealots or wake up in the ICU only to see a blank wall with a dead-man-on-a-stick adornment.

-Crowley’s Satanism
A really interesting and thorough interpretation of Crowley's legacy in relation to modern Satanism. Well worth the read.

-On Life Being Death – Interview with Sutekh
Sutekh reveals some things about his path, and provides some interesting insights into the delicate balance of life and death.

-The Self, The Ocean, and True Experience
Kapalika offers a comprehensive look into her complex and unique approach to Satanism, and related personal experiences.

Olive

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 02:29:52 pm »
Reading through the volume in a somewhat random order... I’ll return and speak more about my thoughts once I’ve completed it.

For now I just wanted to say that @NEMO 93 ‘s article was an absolute joy to read through. I relate to much of it very heavily; I love the description of absurdity as the hateful connection between the human heart’s longing for clarity and a harsh and indifferent reality, as well as the origination of consciousness from the primal Khaos.

I would argue however that Existentialism is not necessarily defeated by Absurdism - actually I think they strengthen each other as I embrace both in my own way. The basic tenet of the former is that existence precedes (individual) essence. In other words, that individuals are born into an indifferent world which will in time outlive them. If this is not recognized, it undermines aspects of the absurdist position. Camus himself is considered an existentialist, and another good example of the alliance between the two can be seen in The Last Messiah by Zapffe. (https://philosophynow.org/issues/45/The_Last_Messiah)

The critique against Nihilism, however, is spot on.

I also can’t agree with the characterization of suicide. Just because the universe does not explicitly confirm that there is no point to existence, does not mean the self-murderer must be obligated to stay here and search for its (possible) existence. Even if there was a grand “point,” clearly it cannot be fulfilled for all by the life of one man - and so the one man removing himself remains a neutral event rather than a grand mistake.

It’s impossible to claim that suicide enslaves the individual, as that which has been annihilated is beyond the reach of restriction or compulsion (necessary conditions for slavery). The only real critique is that it is a leap of faith to assume that suicide annihilates the individual - although this also can be seen as a logical conclusion from the existentialism that has already been accepted.

I remain unconvinced that “growth” is the ultimate purpose of existence or consciousness barring further argument, but I can agree with some of the lifestyle-esque conclusions in the Sisyphus section.

I love just about everything else about this article - the characterization of set, the informative section about gnosis in the context of Norse mythology, the necessity of sacrifice, the exposition on acosmic draconian magic, the criticism against those anticosmicists who vainly seek to destroy the universe, etc. I’ll be leaving a bookmark there for sure. c:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:57:28 pm by Olive »
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 03:08:44 pm »
I love this from Liber Draconis:

The Draconian tradition suggests  a God of Consciousness,  a  Saturnine Goddess  of Lust,  and a Serpent  or Draconian force for his  cold gaze  as  a balanced formula

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460