Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 12704 times)

pi_rameses

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2018, 11:53:12 am »
@Frater Sisyphus No I don't have that but interesting book jacket.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

pi_rameses

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2018, 05:14:15 am »
Curiously enough, I have ordered a recent book by @VenusSatanas.

https://youtu.be/LI4FxVef-EY
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:16:54 am by pi_rameses »
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

NEMO 93

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:39 pm »
I've been incredibly busy with school so I haven't had the time to read as much.

However, my friend gifted me his used copy of pseudonomicon and I breezed through it because of the size.

I really enjoyed it, you could strip it of Lovecraft imagery and applied to to occultism or chaos magick shamanism very easily.

There appears to be great merit in working with it on Lovecraftian terms and I'd hesitate to deal with Lovecraftian paths without knowledge from it in retrospect. I think pairing this with Hine's Necronomicon from EPOCH would have very strong results in Lovecraftian magick and may be the best approach.

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2018, 12:10:36 am »
I just ordered "We Break the Sword: the Nazi Peace of 1940" which I guess is a practical illustration of how Mindwar could have avoided WWII. I still struggle with the practice of a Mindwar but hopefully this clarifies!

pi_rameses

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2018, 12:57:08 am »
Just received the new book by @VenusSatanas. It's signed and has a nice gift accompanying it.

Thanks, @VenusSatanas:)
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

NEMO 93

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2018, 06:03:45 pm »
I currently started reading Book of Lies by Aliester Crowley as I feel I'm at a level of perspective to grasp and understand it as it was recommended to Babes of the Abyss.

I think I finally understand Crowley's Thelemic system. The RHP elements come in because he was all about reconcilation. His goal is to reconcile the ego and non-ego and you have to experience both. Hence all the sexual symbolism of the phalus entering the chalice. "without lust of result" in instrunctions for magic applies to that state of non-ego in which you use to effect the desires of the ego. It's no wonder he's so fond of sex magick, it's a great metaphor.

Crowley was insisted that the HGA is not the perfected self or even part of one's self, but we could see it as one's individual unique conception of divinity. Babalon is the mother of the abyss who when adepts enter and surrender, their only duty is to grow into a perfected self and vehicle fo their will. Grant Morrison defined Choronzon as the "last gasp of the existential self" and the imagery of nothing desparetly trying to form into various somethings recalls Lovecraft's Azathoth and a certain experience I had when dealing with existentialism and abyssal experiences. To finally let go of that inner demon would be to experience that buddhist state in which there is no "I" but only experiences.

Where Crowley differs from the RHP and Golden Dawn and Buddhism is this is not the end, Horus is key of this aeon as it resembles a child growing in the womb- godhood in this life- not the next as Osiris symbolizes. Hence some indentifications he did of Nuit and Isis with Babalon in his religion. It seems to be a bit confusing to where each interacting with the HGA occurs, it definitely occurs before the abyss but it seems to occur in a different way after.

I think Crowley's alchemical formula is something like: realizing your own definition of divinity, sacrifcing including that concept of godhood, embracing the world(to constantly grow is to constantly die), experience everything you can, then to reconcile it all together in equilibrium.

I'm not sure if this is middle path or what. Book of Lies is definitely an enlightening read.

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2018, 09:19:24 pm »
I didn't finish we break the sword, apparently I was way overcomplicating Mindwar in my head. Haven't been reading because of my whole daily headache thing sadly.

NEMO 93

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2018, 04:21:20 am »
I've been reading Lon Milo DuQuette's works lately, mainly to further understand the Goetia and Tarot and also because I love his style of writing. He seems like a down-to-earth guy with a good sense of humor about himself.

I read Chicken Qabalah(which I bought for friend because he's trying to get into this stuff). It was mainly for entertainment factor but it helps understand the four world concept which then helps me to finally have memonics for court card meanings.

I've also read Key to Solomon's Key which I really loved, it expores the history of Freemasonry and attempts to link to it Knight's Templar in a fascinating but believable way. However, it's mainly just an attempt to get new people to understand the concept of Goetia but the second half did help me understand the system further.

I'm currently working my way through Understanding Crowley's Thoth tarot or whatever it's called as well as Low Magick. I'm happy that I'm far enough into my Tarot understanding that I'm ready to attack the complexities of Tarot and Lon provides a nice fluffy lead-in and break from Crowley's tediousness. Low Magick is just a ton of stories from his life with what he learned from it, I'm enjoying it for entertainment value but it gives me a few things to think about- he mentions analyzing your family's "magic" in a chapter and it's a really good way to understand yourself and apply it to an effective magical style.

pi_rameses

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2018, 03:04:35 pm »
Temple of Set v. 1 and 2. The first volume is the meat of it whereas v. 2 is supplemental. But my favorite part is The Sphinx and the Chimaera dialogue written by Aquino in v.2.
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2018, 03:50:01 pm »
I never got through sphinx in the chimera, it always bores me :O

pi_rameses

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2018, 09:56:35 pm »
Totally relatable. I think it helped that I had the Kindle edition and highlighted the main points as I went if ever I wanted to revisit it. There were some digressions that I could do without but perhaps a literary buff reader would appreciate more. But not nearly as exhaustive compared to the unending Plato's complete dialogues. :o
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

Onyx

« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2018, 04:20:38 pm »
I never got through sphinx in the chimera, it always bores me :O

I'm not much into dialogue, don't even like reading fiction that much. But there is one interesting part about E=mc^2 where he makes the point that a constant (speed of light) is required for this "relativistic" theory to work. There is a bit of a contradiction there, and reading that short bit has sparked my interest in this stuff again.

Might post about it or write something for the newsletter, I'm no physicist but like to think outside of the box when it comes to science. It's likely to be even more boring lol.

pi_rameses

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2018, 07:02:21 pm »
Yes. That was the part that interested me the most as it continues in the dialectical method by anticipating what Plato might have thought about this now. That constant must be reconciled also and not be an exception for the scientific community to truly consider it a law. As far as I'm concerned, this is still theory and not law.
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

Liu

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2018, 02:28:47 pm »
Thanks for recommending Chicken Kabbalah, @NEMO 93, that was an entertaining and informative read.

Now I finally know why some people count Water above Air (and it even makes sense to me - even read about the divine pair of fire and water in some scientific article on Germanic linguistics recently xD). Also the correspondence tables are quite neat and I might use them in my tarot readings.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:53:30 pm by Liu »

NEMO 93

« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2018, 03:51:12 am »
@Liu  That really is a fun read. I love Lon's writing, he gets the right attitude about magick imo. Just have fun with it. His book on Low Magick is great too.

I've recently bought a book on Djinn Sorcery. The Testament of Cyprian The Mage, and Magister Offciorum but have yet to read any of them. I've been super busy with multiple vacations and now I'm incredibly sick. I'll post updates as I read them though.