Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 4912 times)

pi_rameses

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2018, 02:10:38 am »
Well done @Liu. I commend you.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:05:59 am by Xepera maSet »

"My step is great, that I may traverse the sky."
- The Pyramid Texts

pi_rameses

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2018, 01:57:40 pm »
Awesome, @Xepera maSet
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

NEMO 93

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2018, 07:27:14 pm »
I literally just finished Octavo by Peter J Carrol. I loved it, it's his practical take on the themes from Apophenion. Helped me think differently about magick and really got me going in the right direction again, I love the timey wimey stuff in the paradigm. I just need to finish apophenion.

Onyx

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2018, 06:54:03 am »
Browsing through The Conflict of Horus and Seth, which offers analyses of the relationship between the two gods, their influence on religious culture, etc. There are tons of sources on virtually every page and a bibliography. Despite its academic nature, the author uses plain English and the writing style isn't boring.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2018, 01:21:23 pm »
Ohhhhh man I can't wait to check that out.

I'm reading Set the Outsider by Don Webb and Judith Page. Not the most entertaining book on Set I've read but still quite good.

- The Pyramid Texts

pi_rameses

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2018, 01:11:54 pm »
Casanova: The World of a Seductive Genius by Laurence Bergreen.
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

NEMO 93

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2018, 03:11:26 am »
I just read "I Wanna be Well How A Punk Found Peace and You Can Too" in one sitting. It sounds like a standard self-help book and it kind of is in a lot of ways but it's written by the guy from the punk band Teenage Bottlerocket. It's esentially about how he used bits of buddhist and yogi philosophy to find peace in sections, I feel the self help style actually worked for it. It was a chapter detailing the concept, a tl;dr and a mindfulness exercise whether it's meditation, yoga, or his own versions of mindfulness. I read it in one sitting in the store but I ended up buying it because having it on hand will help me put mindfulness practices in praxis thouroughly. Of course, philosophically you're better off going to straight to the source but it is entertaining to see a old punk rocker's thoughts on some of the philosophy.  "This includes assholes. In fact they often us more, in terms of life lessons and opportunities. Like growth? Thank a jerk!"

Overall: 7.5/10 but in terms of practicality to my life right now i'll give it a 8/10 since it's an important reminder of praxis I neglected.

I also bought Vagabonding by Rolf Potts as preparation for the future. I want to travel more and part of that is learning to do it affordably and my job will probably involve a lot of travel anyways so I look forward to reading it. Also got Zinester's Guide to NYC since I love to travel up there still. I don't know when my next trip is but I do know I need to find more local, hole in the wall places whenever I go again. I think my new tradition when I travel to a new state/city will be to get a Zinester's Guide to ___ as well as Weird U.S. on it.

X by Chuck Klosterman was my other new purchase. It looks fucking great, I loved his book Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs which I had to read for pop culture class and I loved it. These are various unpublished articles of his from throughout time.

My occultism is just sutding the runes one by one by switching between various books at the moment and finishing a couple on my backlist(Apophenia which is only a couple chapters left, and great perfection doctrine which I havent read but is super short).

NEMO 93

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2018, 04:06:23 am »
[sorry I post in this thread so much. I read, a lot. It's a side-effect from restricting television viewing and short attention span.]

I'm about to finally *finish* Apophenion by Peter J. Carrol which leaves only the expository bits of EPOCH for me to finish his bibliography.

I'm considering revisting Phil Hine's bibliography next as it's always good to remember where you started from and I'd like another perspective on the chaos magick paradigm after studying Carroll's work the past year.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2018, 04:31:49 am »
I've been reading my own book hahaha.

- The Pyramid Texts

NEMO 93

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2018, 05:00:46 am »
@Xepera maSet  When will it be available? I'd really like to read it. As I said elsewhere, I like your take on Setian philosophy alot.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2018, 08:51:03 am »
I finished editing the hard copy today, so hopefully soon.

- The Pyramid Texts

NEMO 93

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2018, 04:28:24 am »
Just read oven-ready chaos and am going through Prime Chaos right now.

It's a fantastic break from Peter J Carrol's scientific and pretentious approach(which has necessary fundamentals and interesting paradigm of it's own) but Phil Hine is a nice emotional counterpart to it which is not to neglect.

He lays out all the theories and concept in it's most basic form which can be instrunctional for the beginner or applicable to the experienced magician seeking to shed un-needed complexity.

His stress on using fictional characters for the resonation with the individual is great for stripping away pretentiousness and seriousness while exploring the roots of magick. If you can do this with Spock and get results then you have to re-think the nature of any other magick you do. He stresses always approaching magick with a beginner's mind as to find out what works and what doesn't and why rather than to presume you know someting.

The main take-away is that magick, and chaos magick, is chaotic. Don't listen to anyone, do your own thing, and learn. Work meditation into your schedule(like when doing the dishes) rather than a commited time and program if that keeps you doing it. If you feel and impulse or urge, follow it rather than stick to a commited thing as that re-ignites your passion and may take you on the best divergent to experience it.

I'm applying all this to my life and want to do some chaos magick with fictional work to build up certain areas in my life that need it.

I also particularly enjoy his views on the HGA being a "mask" of chaos personal to you than a fixed static being as that is somewhat my interpetation of the ritual found in Liber Samekh- the bornless one being chaos.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2018, 01:30:04 am »
Finally diving into "Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution"

- The Pyramid Texts

Frater Sisyphus

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2018, 08:17:08 am »
Do any of our Lovecraft fans here have this collection?

I'm considering buying it  :)