Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 3019 times)

NEMO 93

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 11:55:05 pm »
I'm currently starting to work through Apophis and Aegishjalmur: The Book of Dragon Runes at the same time. I really enjoy it. I should defer to the Book of Apophis at one point but I've been reading theory and stuff for so long than I need to take a break and actually practice again.

I'm tired of being an armchair occultist. I lost my passion for it somewhere and could never get back in the groove til now.
"“I ate civilization. It poisoned me; I was defiled. And then," he added in a lower tone, "I ate my own wickedness.” -Aldous Huxley

Liu

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 10:54:05 am »
I'm currently starting to work through Apophis and Aegishjalmur: The Book of Dragon Runes at the same time. I really enjoy it. I should defer to the Book of Apophis at one point but I've been reading theory and stuff for so long than I need to take a break and actually practice again.

I'm tired of being an armchair occultist. I lost my passion for it somewhere and could never get back in the groove til now.
Same here. Started with the first 70 pages or so of Aegishjalmur yesterday and intend to read the corresponding chapters of Apophis when I'm done with reading chapter 3.

The main mistake I seem to make with these kinds of books is that I read them once from front to back and then never do anything but the most easy exercises from them. You can't learn for example programming from just reading textbooks on it from front to back, why do I then do so for this kind of topic? Even on the previous similar such book I read, Kali Kaula by Jan Fries, I at least made myself an overview of which pages include interesting practices to try, but still didn't get myself to actually do much.

So, since I already read the whole of Apophis some few years back I suppose this time I'll not read any further than chapter 3 of Aegishjalmur and the corresponding one of Apophis and only read on once I've already at least started with all the practices suggested that I would intend to try anytime soon. Allowing me to skip some, though, of course, if they don't seem useful to my situation.

NEMO 93

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 05:31:12 pm »
@Liu I cheated an peaked ahead in Aegishjalmur just to see if it is something I will follow through to the end. It is! I really like it. Now I'm just focusing on working on one head out of a time.

I definitely recommend working both programs at once and reading the chapters simulataneously. I'm currently working on the first head of Apophis while doing the vision initation in Aegishjalmur and it's pretty effective so well. I can definitely feel it starting to change me already. Awakening each sense for the first time is a wonderful experience and the Dragon Pose as well as visual meditations in Aegishjalmur really help to awaken the lust that is essential to the path. It feels like a controlled lust though, it's thoughts on the Scarlet Woman and Freyja give good guidelines to prevent it and focus on the God Pose in the first head of Apophis really helps with self control. At least, in my experience so far. I feel dumb for neglecting Crowley's yoga poses now that Apophis has showed me practical benefits. I'm pretty super stoked for the alchemical changes in me.

I think the problem with other books that have programs is that they just never really resonated with me so I'd read them in full and pick the parts that did. This one, I don't know, just seems perfect for me with spiritual resonation, exercises, scheduling. Michael Kelly seems smart and well-versed. He seems to have devoloped a modern approach to Seidhr based off of his time in Order of Leviathan and study of mythology which just seems really intuitive. I can't believe I never put it together myself.

Which exercises have you started, out of curiosity?
"“I ate civilization. It poisoned me; I was defiled. And then," he added in a lower tone, "I ate my own wickedness.” -Aldous Huxley

Liu

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 06:25:38 pm »
Which exercises have you started, out of curiosity?
Just began reading yesterday, as I said, so not much yet ^^ Still at the intro of Apophis. But regarding Aegishjalmur I've started with those visualizations that are to be done 9 nights in a row. I actually had started those when I first read Apophis and Aegeshjalmur's beginning some years ago, but didn't do more than like the first 2 or 3, and not in any focused fashion. That kind of visualization still isn't easy, but it worked much better so far now that I actually put some more effort into it.

And I at least printed out those pages which are about the rune meanings and poses and would like to study those next. Actually I'm a bit skeptical whether those rune poses are anything worthwhile as I've not done anything like that before (well, I do hatha yoga regularly, but in a pretty much completely unspiritual manner so far), so I'm curious to see whether that technique proves useful.
I already have a rough idea of the rune meanings since I once read a book by Jan Fries on that and actually incorporate some runes as symbols in my personal notes since quite a while already. But re-reading that chapter showed me how much I had forgotten due to never using it.

Those exercizes on the 5 senses, yeah I remember reading about them but I lacked the discipline at that time to actually practice that much.

NEMO 93

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 08:11:48 pm »
I've always had an active imagination so I can have a good flashes of really good visualization if I really work on it and apply myself. I found the god posture helped a lot with my ability to help when expirimenting with Apophis. Michael Kelly, in both the book and his youtube videos, does a wonderful job of explaining the psychological reference. I've been noticing my visualization skills improve each specific day too.

As for the rune postures, Stephen Flowers' books also use staldhr and those rune yoga poses. I'm not sure if they're the same but I've heard good things about trying them. There's also some rune mantras elsewhere. I definitely trust Flowers as the uttermost authority on runes in a magical sense and I'm sure Kelly learned his Stalhdr/Rune Yoga from Flowers in the Temple of Set.

I recommend doing the sense exercises, which is esentially just mindfulness focused on a sense, as you do the visualization initiations. It will greatly improve your visualization ability as you can now imagine better having been alert to these details in real life.

My main issue is I really want to work on a few specific heads at a same time because I know my weak spots in certain areas but I'm gonna try to pace mysef.

Not to mention it's philosophy in the 5th head about The Scarlet Women sheds a lot of light on why Set would want to spread conciousness.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:47:53 am by King Mob »

NEMO 93

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2017, 06:23:47 pm »
I think I'm gonna check out the works of Kenneth Grant this Thanksgiving break.

Sutekh

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 07:21:33 pm »
I am currently reading "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli which goes into detail on using Political Power correctly.
"Our collective ambition is that the membership of the Order of the Serpent also serves as guardians of the Black Flame and collaborates with the Prince of Darkness in the Infernal Mandate of re-creating the Cosmos in the eternal glory of the Setian Will!"-Setamontet

NEMO 93

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2017, 08:10:27 pm »
@Sutekh  I started the audiobook of that the other day, I couldn't get into it which is sad as I really want to read it. It's recommended for Lesser Black Magick in quite a few LHP books which, I mean, obvioulsy his advice but also in the way he addressed the ruler, I suppose, could be counted as LBM.

pi_rameses

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 10:24:09 pm »
I am currently reading "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli which goes into detail on using Political Power correctly.

I've owned this book a couple times on and off. And now I want it back on my shelf.
I've also ordered Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky and 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene.
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra
Nylfmedli14

Sutekh

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2017, 10:45:30 pm »
I started the audiobook of that the other day, I couldn't get into it which is sad as I really want to read it.

Ah, with me I am able to understand reading books without the audio. Personally I understand Machiavelli more clearly than Mr. Aquino. Don't get me wrong, I was able to understand MindWar. But his figure of speech is quite complicated to grasp. At times I even have to read Mr. Aquino's writings two to three times to gain his full understanding, I do the same technique to other books that I often read as well to gain the things that are important to keep in mind.

At first I was expecting The Prince to have a Shakespearean type Literature, but I am quite surprised that it does not have that type of setting, since it has a translator type of a writer who improved the language I guess.
"Our collective ambition is that the membership of the Order of the Serpent also serves as guardians of the Black Flame and collaborates with the Prince of Darkness in the Infernal Mandate of re-creating the Cosmos in the eternal glory of the Setian Will!"-Setamontet

Sutekh

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 10:49:11 pm »
It's recommended for Lesser Black Magick in quite a few LHP books

I recall stumbling upon "The Prince" on the Temple of Set's Reading List on Mr. Aquino's "Black Magic."  At first I wasn't interested in getting the book, however when I read through MindWar it interested me to get the book since it was quoted on many of the pages of MindWar.

NEMO 93

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2017, 01:43:43 am »
Draconian Conciousness is certainly interesting and gives me a lot to think about! I more or less Crossed the Abyss in the same fashion they recommend using intuition and The Book of Babalon by Jack Parsons.

I'll have to do some void meditations and stuff in it since I am comfortable going back to that state and they have some helpful rituals including it. Well, the framework of some. Also, with the philosophy of turning work into play, it made me realize I need to broaden my horizons and try new shit I've been skeptical of like an invisiblity ritual. That sounds fun.

This only focuses on the fourth to seven heads of the Dragon. If anything, I recommend it for the inspiration in creativity and passion of rituals. It's good to shake Dogma even if it's your own opposed dogma on your practice.

Cabshear

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2017, 02:18:49 am »
Greetings,

Currently in a deep study of Egoism and Individual Anarchism.

The Ego and it's Own by Max Stirner
The Joy of Egoism
There is No Free Society by George Palente
What is Society?
The Egoist Encyclopedia by Wolfi Landstreicher
Nihilism by Brett Stevens

It is very interesting to dive into an expansive study of the Ego, or as Stirner calls it, the Unique One. This is not to be confused with the Freudian Ego.

Connecting this with the Potential of Satan, or for our Setian friends the PoD or Gift of Set, it quite an interesting discovery. RHP ideology (both political and relgious) attempts to stifle this Unique One and assimilate Self into a sum total. The promethian LHP works to actualize and foster the growth of The Unique One.

NEMO 93

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2017, 09:36:59 pm »
I just started the Psychopath's Bible by Hyatt. It's really tongue-in-cheek and amusing to my sense of humor.

I'm about to start Kenneth Grant's Typhonian trilogies literally right now too.

Cabshear

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2017, 08:13:39 am »

A modern alternative this, if you're interested, is The Occult Technology of Power.

http://www.underworldamusements.com/product/the-occult-technology-of-power

I enjoy this little primer, have read it many times. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:15:48 am by Cabshear »