Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 12703 times)

idgo

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2020, 05:50:38 pm »
I ordered a copy of The Path Of Least Resistance when Hapu mentioned it in another thread, and it showed up recently. I have consumed up to about halfway through chapter 5 so far. I found initially absorbing the reactive/responsive orientation framework to require shutting down quite a few of what I'd call my informational quality control reflexes. By quality control reflexes, I mean that habit of examining incoming information and asking "to what conclusions would this lead if I accepted it as Fact? Are those conclusions consistent with my observations of the world?". However, it's usually not so much the content itself as a certain presentation of content which makes my brain itch in this way. I like a lot of what Carl Sagan writes, for instance, but listening to him talk is similarly uncomfortable. I think this particular reaction might be what I get when I try to partake of writings that are targeted at an audience that's accustomed to taking things on faith in a certain way.

However, after that awkward introduction spun to hook thought patterns very unlike my own, the book is getting quite delightful. The note about it which I took before setting it aside last night reads:

The author is using the reader's "responsive/reactive" orientation to kick them out of it, by reassuring them that the familiar creative processes are "right" for a value of "right" that's irrelevant to the actual creative process. Not unlike a philosophical quine.

idgo

« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2020, 09:15:26 pm »
Finished The Path Of Least Resistance. Seems like the author kind of said what he had to say in the first half, and felt obliged to stretch the rest into a book to fit in about 3 more pages of pertinent examples throughout it. At some point I'll go back through and extract some relevant quotes from it, as a few caught my eye on the way past.

I'm still about halfway through Paul Rhys Mountfort's Norse Runes, stuck in a section that reads like a highly educational brick. I think I'm going to have to do some sort of project with them to synthesize the blocks of stories that flesh out each rune's nuances; perhaps designing a deck of cards of the runes would suit. I have his book on Ogam in the mail as well. I expect that doing anything useful with the Ogam will require a pretty serious exercise in comparative ethnobotany to figure out which trees in my region fill the roles for which its original trees were selected. Several important local trees are entirely missing from the ogam, and about half its trees are present only in as much as they've escaped from gardens over the years. Most interpretations of it that I've seen online use gorse, which is a noxious weed near my area so growing it on purpose would be problematic. I'll probably end up with 2 sets of it -- one "by the book", and one localized. The whole project is more about adding a more esoteric alphabets for encoding both phonetic and symbolic meaning in art projects anyways, so the fact that the ogam is also made of trees is what one might call a happy accident.

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2020, 12:53:18 am »
"The Law is for All"

Liu

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2020, 03:58:35 pm »
I'm currently reading "Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin.

It's basically a self-help-book on how to establish habits.

It contains a lot of prompts for self-reflection, and, unlike some similar books I read before, doesn't provide one specific solution that would work for everyone but rather suggests many dichotomies, always providing recommendations for either of two opposing personality characteristics.

I like it thus far, and it's even helping me to establish a habit of working through its prompts ;) which I then plan to afterwards continue using for the activity-prompts in other books.

Km Anu

« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2020, 09:44:28 am »
The Better Angels of our Nature. It's pretty good so far.

Sutekh

« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2020, 03:12:04 am »
I am currently reading up on two books, Paradise Lost by John Milton and Lilith: Dark Feminine Archetype by Asenath Mason.

Since the outbreak thing is happening, Iv'e been having plenty of time to start reading up on my books including other occult articles.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:14:05 am by Sutekh »
"To achieve Xem, the Setian must perceive what he can of Xem, and must Become that
perception. He must incorporate the knowledge, understanding, and lessons of that perception
into the Setian's being. Remanifesting that ennobled state, the Setian will perceive more of
Xem, and will be able to Xeper further towards Xem. It is only through pursuit of this
repeating cycle of perceive / achieve that the initiate will eventually near and reach Xem"- Ruby Tablet of Set

Onyx

« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2020, 08:10:47 am »
I've been reading through Infernal Geometry and the Left-Hand Path. For those interested in Angular Magic, the book covers a lot of ground.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:50:16 am by Onyx »

Sutekh

« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2020, 09:57:05 pm »
It's my first time reading one of Frederich Nietzsche's book the Antichrist. I am so far at 60 pages on the book already, in just the day I opened it up.
"To achieve Xem, the Setian must perceive what he can of Xem, and must Become that
perception. He must incorporate the knowledge, understanding, and lessons of that perception
into the Setian's being. Remanifesting that ennobled state, the Setian will perceive more of
Xem, and will be able to Xeper further towards Xem. It is only through pursuit of this
repeating cycle of perceive / achieve that the initiate will eventually near and reach Xem"- Ruby Tablet of Set

idgo

« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2020, 07:13:15 pm »
"Your inner fish", by Neil Shubin. Highly approachable, and sets forth a useful framework for conceptualizing the commonalities of all life on Earth. And from those similarities is cut a clearer stencil of humanity's differences.

« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2020, 03:05:48 am »
Uncle Setnakt’s Nightbook.

Great so far.

Beleren777

« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2020, 03:48:28 pm »
I'll second the usefulness of Infernal Geometry. I have read through, but not yet worked through that text.

Just started Michael Kelly's The Satanic Dragon. It is a second look at Satanism through the framework of his Apophis curriculum.