Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 9069 times)

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2019, 03:12:14 pm »
"Will to Power," because all of a sudden, after my conversations on these boards, I understand much better the author's impetus. The first time I picked this book up, decades ago, I didn't see the point so I set it down unfinished. "Objective value is impossible," I would have said, "so live by subjective value. Live aesthetically." (Except it's only now, after recent conversations, that I realize I meant, "Live aesthetically."

Oddly enough, aesthetics is a branch of philosophy, one of the goals of which is to articulate objective aesthetic values. There's that word again. "Objective." I can't escape it.

People want values they can hold in consensus. This is, for example, the very essence of Kohlberg's Level 5 morality. And for all practical human purposes, consensus reality and objective reality are the same thing. They're two sets that intersect. Objective reality contains the known and theoretically the unknown. Unknown objective reality is, by definition, useless to talk about. Known objective reality is exactly congruent with consensus reality.

Objective values are the greater set of which objective moral values are a subset. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't widen my view to take in the greater set. I kept talking about moral values as if they were the only values. Obviously they're not. An ugly picture isn't immoral. Beauty isn't a moral value. But it is a value. An objective one? To what extent?

Nietzsche was grappling with all of this in the notebooks that became, "Will to Power."

I get it now. And I want to read it. As I will, so shall it be. Kindle is a great tool, by the way. Books appear on my phone instantaneously. Now that's power!

Slither whither thou wouldst.

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2019, 10:43:06 am »
Today I purchased - haven't yet received - The Grimoire of Amaymon (Nine Demonic Gatekeepers) by E. A. Koetting.
https://www.amazon.com/Grimoire-Amaymon-Nine-Demonic-Gatekeepers/dp/1090875126

It begins with an excellent summary of fascism, which the author opposes.

Here, as elsewhere, Amaymon is presented as the darkest face of Lucifer.
Slither whither thou wouldst.

Liu

« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2019, 04:11:52 pm »
Haven't read anything by Koetting yet - his vids are too click-baity to make me expect anything good to come from him.
But please report back when you have read it.

Well, I recently started to read The Draconian Rituals by Asenath Mason since someone here recommended it. I like it thus far. I'm at the chapter on Kundalini, and I think I'll try out the meditation for that she suggests. Fits well in with my current Qi Gong practice.

Also, I read the first volume of the black metal theory journal Helvete (from 2013). Not as interesting topic-wise as I expected, but still a nice read.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 04:13:27 pm by Liu »

Williams1001

« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2019, 04:57:31 am »
i have just started reading "on the shoulders of giants."

its the biographies and the works of Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Newton, and Einstein
it contains Newton's principia, Einstein's papers on special and general relativity, etc. its good reading for anyone interested on the historical development of physics and astronomy, some of the the math behind it all, and the different experiments that were performed.

idgo

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2019, 04:15:03 pm »
"Objective value is impossible," I would have said, "so live by subjective value. Live aesthetically."

Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Lila, set forth a metaphysics of Quality which you might find useful as an alternative possible resolution to the subjective/objective conundrum. Well, they offer it if you read them when looking for it; I'm not sure what if anything they offer if you read them without looking for much.