Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 9080 times)

idgo

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2019, 06:42:37 pm »
@lyscii It turned out like this:

Not the sturdiest, but perfectly serviceable for carrying around and annotating.

I printed the pdf 2 pages per sheet on 8.5x11, then cut it down with a ruler and sharp knife into sheets 8.5" tall and 5" wide. I could have trimmed some of the extra margins from top and bottom of each page, but I kept them for writing in. I also don't have a good solution yet for printing the pages front and back. This print technique yielded all the even pages in a stack and all the odd pages in a stack, so it took a little manual collation, but that was a good chance to double check that all my pages ended up in the right order. I added black cardstock "covers"/endpapers as something to glue the cloth cover to. Then I just clamped the stack together on what would become the right edge of the book, bent what would be the spine back and forth, and smeared what would be the spine with PVA glue. Bending the glue covered spine over a couple times in each direction (like https://mymodernmet.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/archive/IFegT16ypFtGjQs2cIyK_hiddenedges10.jpg but with glue instead of art on the edges) helps ensure that each page is stuck to the next properly. I then wrapped a piece of cloth around it and glued it onto the spine and covers/endpapers and pressed the whole thing overnight. I like leaving a bit of extra cloth around the edges to protect the pages when the whole thing is carried around in a bag.

Onyx

« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2019, 10:08:55 am »
I've thought about making my own books from digital files for personal use, and it's inspiring to see someone actually pull it off. I can see how the blank pages provide plenty of room for notes.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2019, 12:17:23 pm »
Trying to read Game of Thrones. Reading books is starting to really kill my eyes and head though, I think middle to old age will be progressively digital sadly.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Liu

« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2019, 06:03:00 pm »
I discovered and ended up consuming the entirety of the SSOTBME Revised (https://zalbarath666.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/s-s-o-t-b-m-e-revisited-ramsey-dukes.pdf) PDF yesterday.
Thanks a ton for mentioning that book. I've not yet finished it (taking it slowly to add my notes/summaries to the file and to make sure I understand at least most of it), but it's a very interesting read to say the least.

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2019, 08:39:28 pm »
The Book of the Divine Black Flame of Satan by Vrykolakas Oriax. Easy but fun read.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Liu

« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2019, 01:36:57 pm »
I'm currently reading "Synchronicity" by Kirby Surprise, published 2012, which discusses how people would be able to cause coincidences based on their conscious or subconscious thoughts. Pretty much what occultists refer to as magick.
And the author also describes how this ability, if one uses it without realizing it, can easily lead to delusions, paranoia, conspiracy theories etc., especially in schizophrenics, due to interpreting too much into the coincidences and not realizing that they cause them themselves.

Now, I'm having the opposite problem, I rarely encounter coincidences, and most magickal exercises I try don't work due to my skepticism, so I'm reading that book to influence my mindset into being more open to see coincidences, and to find out whether the author recommends any exercises.
Well, since the author expects the reader after about 1/3rd of the book to already notice an increase of synchronistic events I guess I'm just especially untalented at it, now being at 2/3rds. Or I'm just reading it too fast.

I'm not convinced yet that synchronicity exists objectively, but it is something that even if it exists objectively would be very difficult to prove to exist. And I see the benefits of perceiving existence in a way that includes the possibility of being able to cause synchronistic events, that's why I'm trying to train that.

I don't dig the "scientific" explanations the author provides for how synchronicity could be compatible with the laws of physics, but he in most sections is at least honest enough to say that they are not really explanations and just guesses. Otherwise it's quite nice to read. He also makes the difference between being bound by a religion, and using beliefs actively for one's own benefits, i.e. a central aspect of the RHP/LHP-distinction by my understanding, but probably without ever having heard of the LHP.

The exercises he recommends thus far are learning how to do lucid dreaming, and practicing to create thoughtforms (he calls them both thoughtforms and tulpas but they are not self-aware nor bound to one's own body by his description so they aren't tulpas by the definition of tulpa I'm familiar with). Both of that seem quite advanced practices.

He also describes the neurological way in which specific meditation exercises can lead to satori experiences (feeling one with everything for a few moments). He says if one does them for about 6 weeks 1h per day they are quite fool-proof to cause that. I do fairly similar meditation since quite longer than 6 weeks but only 20-30 minutes at a time, so I can neither confirm nor refute that claim.

But well, I at least decided now to dedicate some small notebook I recently bought to noting down whatever coincidences I encounter (encountered 2 today thus far which however are both far from unlikely or surprising) in order to train my ability to notice synchronicity if it does occur and to influence my mindset a bit further.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:43:28 pm by Liu »

« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2019, 02:34:37 pm »
Currently reading Dune for the first time, on the recommendation of a person who is like a sibling to me.
"If I must burn, I will make the fire mine, and I will burn for the sake of Love."

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2019, 02:57:37 pm »
Going to be reading Black Magic 101 final edit today I hope!

- Crowley

DelilahGarret

« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2019, 09:31:39 am »
I'm rereading the Harry Potter books. They are a real different experience from an adult vantage point.

DelilahGarret

« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2019, 09:32:22 am »
Currently reading Dune for the first time, on the recommendation of a person who is like a sibling to me.

I love the first third of that book, and everything after that is all right, but damn that first third is the best.

Myhla

« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2019, 05:13:07 pm »
At the moment I am reading Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult by Dayal Patterson. When I'm finished with that, I'll probably get right into Lords of Chaos, as it has been many moons since I possessed and read that.

Soon though, I am hoping to acquire (possibly several) books pertaining to Norse Mythology, Odinism, and Norse Shamanism, as well as a book on Runes which includes a set of runes. An ambitious venture, to be sure (and not one that falls necessarily in the realm of "affordability"), but... what must be done, must be done.  :rolleyes:

Edit: Or... I might get Donald Tyson's Alhazred, and the "Necronomicon Tarot" from same. Goodness I have a difficult time deciding sometimes.  :|
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 05:26:10 pm by Myhla »

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2019, 07:59:05 pm »
I'm reading a collection on Yellow King based stories.

- Crowley

Liu

« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2019, 07:00:02 pm »
Now reading Yoga Anatomy.
A really good human anatomy 101 with a focus on how things relate to yoga exercises.
It sometimes uses technical terminology without explaining it - perhaps it's just because English isn't my native language, but can one really be expected to know what are the glenoid fossa, the clavicle, or the occiput? But there are also some exercises now and then, and more commonly descriptions that one can then comprehend by looking at one's own body. It's a very enjoyable read for the most part, I already learnt a lot and I only finished about a 4th of it.

As a follow-up on "Synchronicity" which I wrote about above: Yes, there are exercises at the end, they do start much more beginner-friendly than the ones interspersed in the text, and making a journal of synchronicities one encounters is the first such exercise.
I started doing so, and while most what I wrote in there thus far seems really unexciting, it does at least show me how quickly one forgets about them.
Also, another one of the exercises is creating a thoughtform as a kind of spirit animal. I decided on a squirrel, for various reasons. Not following through with the instructions completely as my daily 20 minutes meditation is already reserved for void meditation, so I instead do the focusing during my walks to and from work. I haven't yet seen one since I started (they are not very common here, but one now and then meets one), but my colleague recently and completely unexpectedly mentioned that the German word for squirrel (she's learning German since many years and I know her for over 1 year) would be one of her favorite words. Let's see whether it leads to any further synchronicities.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:02:12 pm by Liu »

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2019, 03:43:08 am »
Just gave up on "Infernal Geometry and the Left Hand Path" after seeing the seal of Runa copy/pasted a dozen times in less than 100 pages, having it assume I can't draw basic connections between concepts, an literally explaining what a point, plane, and line are. I don't know who this was written for, but this is a shocking disappointment specifically and related to the groups which spawned it in general.

- Crowley

Km Anu

• O.S. Member
  • Never will his wrath or might extort from me
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2019, 07:30:00 am »
Just gave up on "Infernal Geometry and the Left Hand Path" after seeing the seal of Runa copy/pasted a dozen times in less than 100 pages, having it assume I can't draw basic connections between concepts, an literally explaining what a point, plane, and line are. I don't know who this was written for, but this is a shocking disappointment specifically and related to the groups which spawned it in general.

I just finished that book actually. I really enjoyed it, but in an interview Toby Chappell did here >>https://youtu.be/1rtJg72AfeY it seems like he wanted the information to be accessible to anyone. This is in the interest of expanding the angular magic system. But I will say that things pick up later on, and the early explanations are expanded upon in way that led me to appreciate that they were there. Not so much for my benefit, but for the flexibility of the OotT. And the abbreviated ceremony at the end is basically a vanilla version of the ceremony of the nine angles, opening the techniques discussed to expansion. All in all, it was a decent read for me. And its wider dissemination makes me hopeful for a perception shift in 'The Herd' in regards to LHP beliefs.