Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 11642 times)

Frater Sisyphus

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2018, 05:38:48 am »
These:......

(The) Quran
Upanishads
Book Of Pleasure
Transcendent Unity Of Religion (I fucking LOVE Schuon)
Cosmic Serpent
Liber Null/Psychonaut
Principia Discordia (as always)
The Templars (Michael Haag)

(plus the obligatory Liber Legis....)

.....are what I've got on my reading cycle currently. I'm coming to love The Quran more and more, but I have some major issues with the major factions of Islam (Sunni and Shia), despite great fascination with them - the Sufi path is for me (moreso than the general "Magician" path)

And the more I engage with non-western Mysticism, the more I realize that the binds you find all through western occultism are rather un-necessary. While the divine truths of the universe can be found with Kabbalah and initiatory systems (to the right individual of course - not everyone), they are rather distractions (IMO), when they can be found easily elsewhere without being essentially dressed up through language and symbolism. Lao Tzu can say in 5 words, what might take a Hermetic Kabbalist a whole book to say. If you can internalize and gain Gnosis from those 5 words, then is that whole book really valuable?

I also tend to see the general Spare and Carroll book more useful to the magician, than the average Crowley, Regardie etc book. Not to say that I myself follow a psychological model of magick but they cut through (IMO) the bullshit when it comes to magick itself - which is a practical tradition and physical act. Theology can be applied however a person believes religiously, it quite often is a separate thing to the magic itself.

I'm a perennial and/or syncretic religious/spiritual person (if it wasn't obvious) and tend to see these shards of truth within the esoteric dimensions of all religion. I don't see things metaphorically (or psychologically, disregarding that we experience life subjectively) but I don't always see them literally either.

(Might expand more on my blog thread...)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:50:42 am by Frater Sisyphus »

NEMO 93

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2018, 04:26:39 am »
I highly recommend the pop culture grimoire if you're a chaos magician, both original and 2.0. I'm not a fan of the guy who publishes them but that shouldn't matter as it's various essays much like our TIS.

I've read them a while ago but revisited today as I prepare for an elemental system. It has a lot of good advice in there from using tabletops rpgs as hypersigils (multiple magicians imagining and visualizing a shared universe with lore creates personal mythologies.) There's something on using trading cards such as Pokemon, Yugioh, or Magic the Gathering as grimoires and seals with a good justification of loosely relaing pokemon to a Shinto paradigm. My favorite though is creating a personal figure to draw on by playing RPG games such as Elder Scrolls, you're basically shaping a tulpa through technomancy and bringing it life and learning more about it. The specific article mentions how when he played a certain rpg while stoned, it becomes more akin to divination than shaping it. Naturally, you can turn that hero into a thoughtform. I put a lot of work into Skyrim Remastered with that idea- I've yet to work with him as I was gonna wait til I beat the game but I may just draw it up early.

I was working with pop culture before this- mainly the works of Jim Henson as Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, both the movies and comics, tap into natural mythological and archetypal storytelling so strongly that they're perfect for it. There's a great Joseph Campbell miniseries on Netflix if you want to know more about archetypes, myth, and our "modern" takes on them- this came out a while ago when the OT was modern.

NEMO 93

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2018, 12:49:09 am »
I'm currently reading Magical Revival by Kenneth Grant.

Frater Sisyphus

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2018, 11:30:12 pm »
I'm reading Valis (by 'ole Philip K. Dick) currently  :mrgreen:

(it kinda fits in surprisingly well with Empire Of Angels too  :D )

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2018, 07:26:59 pm »
I'm reading a ton of stuff, not really anything specific right now.

W_Adam_Smythe

« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2018, 02:02:25 pm »
I also like to mix and match so usually nothing specific all at once unless it really grabs me. One that has been in my rotation that is kind of interesting is on La Santa Muerte. The one thing that fascinates me with that and especially Voodoo is how that they have been able to blend elements of their practices right in with Christianity. They are able to go right into a church and practice their own true spiritual system and no one is the wiser. I can also to an extent say the same of Vampyrism if you play your cards right. No sense in getting uptight over JC. He preached immortality and encouraged folks to drink of his blood. ;)

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2018, 02:42:45 pm »
Skimmed Dragon Book of Essex

Grimoire Verum was way less than I expected

TIS vIV articles and they rock.

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2018, 02:43:15 pm »
Also Cults of the Shadow a bit.

Mindmaster

« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2018, 05:23:58 pm »
Skimmed Dragon Book of Essex

Grimoire Verum was way less than I expected

TIS vIV articles and they rock.

Less as in cheap or small? It's not very big, and most of the old grimoires are pretty repetitive and tiny.

I still think it's historically important if anything. :D There are a bunch of others of note:

Grimoires of Honorius, Imperium, Grand
Picatrix
The Black Pullet

With any of them, expect your par-for-the-course standard amount of Christian paranoia. They're mostly all useful for sigils/seals, and names. Most of these are so old as to be public domain, there is no reason to pay for them. :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:26:24 pm by Mindmaster »

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2018, 10:25:02 pm »
It was shorter than I expected is what I meant.

Sutekh

« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2018, 05:15:35 pm »
I still got to finish Xepera maSets book. I might probably write a positive short review on Amazon, but I intend to remain anonymous.
"To achieve Xem, the Setian must perceive what he can of Xem, and must Become that
perception. He must incorporate the knowledge, understanding, and lessons of that perception
into the Setian's being. Remanifesting that ennobled state, the Setian will perceive more of
Xem, and will be able to Xeper further towards Xem. It is only through pursuit of this
repeating cycle of perceive / achieve that the initiate will eventually near and reach Xem"- Ruby Tablet of Set

Sutekh

« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2018, 05:58:14 pm »
Forgot that I couldn't meet the eligibility requirements on Amazon to write the review on Xepera maSets book. :facepalm:
"To achieve Xem, the Setian must perceive what he can of Xem, and must Become that
perception. He must incorporate the knowledge, understanding, and lessons of that perception
into the Setian's being. Remanifesting that ennobled state, the Setian will perceive more of
Xem, and will be able to Xeper further towards Xem. It is only through pursuit of this
repeating cycle of perceive / achieve that the initiate will eventually near and reach Xem"- Ruby Tablet of Set

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2018, 06:58:53 pm »
Listening to DreamQuest of Unknown Kadath at work, my favorite fantasy.

idgo

« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2018, 07:31:56 am »
I've noticed that my concept of "determinism" was imprecise and naive, and I've fallen down a rabbit hole of trying to properly understand its mathematical and philosophical definitions. At the moment, I'm examining its interactions with or contrast against probability. Currently I'm on http://www.socsci.uci.edu/~dmalamen/courses/prob-determ/NortonPSA.pdf, which requires dusting off quite a bit of physics that I haven't used in years. There seems to be other good stuff in the same course when climbing up that URL as well.

idgo

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2018, 03:29:08 pm »
Going back through Liber Null & Psychonaut now that I've gotten better at reading while holding constant awareness of the way the words passed through the author's biases as well as my own in order to get from their ideas to mine. This "skepticism" actually helps me spot nuances of meaning in some of the passages that looked the most inane without it. Communication about things that fit poorly into language is quite a fun cooperative game.