Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 8172 times)

pi_rameses

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2017, 03:10:55 pm »
I am currently reading "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli which goes into detail on using Political Power correctly.

A modern alternative this, if you're interested, is The Occult Technology of Power.

http://www.underworldamusements.com/product/the-occult-technology-of-power

I enjoy this little primer, have read it many times. Enjoy.

Ah thanks! I think I saw it as a recommendation in Amazon but was somewhat skeptical if it would be worth the purchase. Coming from someone whose opinion I respect, I will certainly check it out!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:58:00 am by pi_ramesses »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

NEMO 93

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 01:51:28 am »
I only have 10 pages or so left in The Psychopath's Bible so I started Apophenion by Peter Carrol for another quick read.

pi_rameses

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2017, 02:47:55 pm »
Currently reading Religious Requirements and Practices of Certain Selected Groups: A Handbook for Chaplains. I want to use it as a resource for a comparative religion app. Most APIs I found were effectively Bible lookups and not too satisfactory for my purposes.

http://www.blackrosespiritualcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ReligionsHandbook.pdf
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

NEMO 93

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2017, 02:46:10 am »
I'm actually revisiting my older Peter J. Carrol chaos magick book tonight. I'm studying his later work now and I needed to get some rituals out of his old books and I ended up reading them after remembering how delightful they are and how cohesive his whole body of work is.

I love his theory of color magic.

I completely forgot the color I percieved Octarine magic asas Yellow/Orange. Yellow being Ego magic and Orange being Mercury-esque magic. Esentially, ego magic is the control of ego- the ability to shift between personalities, paradigms, etc at the flip of a hat. Yellow magic was literally the first magick I ever practiced before knowing what magic was.

Orange magic is not just thinking magick, but the ability to think by not thinking. The domain of tricksters such as Loki. Esentially getting yourself into a situation where anxiety takes over and finding a way out of it by being able to handle it under pressure. Fear gnosis is somewhat hand in hand with it. I think that's why I'm attracted to Enochian, Qlipoth, and Lovecraft lately. Every western magicina has heard rumors about their dangers and power.

Octarine magic symbolizes the Magician self, what draws one to magic, and ego self is usually the opposite. No wonder I'm attracted to LHP between my focus on ego and trial by fire. I feel like they balance each other out, ego magic can prepare one for orange safely.

But back to the books: Peter J Carrol's bibliography is great, the way it evovles. His theory on color magic(taken strongly from Kaballah by stripping it down to basics) gets some complex and his latest book, EPOCH, by evolving it into the Chaoballah-which is more of a biplantery/bicolor system for analyzing deities that make more sense. EPOCH also has a great Necronomicon section.

Similarly, Peter J Carrol's insistence on using E-Prime (no use of "is was, am, or are) evolves into a new paradigm in Apohenion which tries to deconstruct the basics into a different perspective by deconstructing language and physics to reflect life more "accurately" (read- create an entirely new belief based on some newer philosophy and science).

While not a fan of his quantam mechanics, and it is largely his weakest spot- it does make the philosophy in Apophenion work well(the dull mathemetics in Octavo and Liber Kaos are meh, probably just blinds.)

His strong focus on heresy throughout keeps him from insisting too strongly on any truth- His quantam mechanics get dangerously close to this, unfortunately, but when it comes to philosophy derived from them- it's still insisted as a paradigm which definitely blurs the area. Which chaos magick should. And hey, his fixation on this gave us Sorcerer's chess which I sorely want to play.

NEMO 93

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2017, 10:32:15 pm »
I'm still reading the above but I read some of Aleister Crowley and the Magickal Diary yesterday and today to get an idea for how I should keep mine. I need to finish it sometime, I feel like I got what I need from it for now.

Defintely recommend it. While Crowley is flawed in general, him being a writer was his greatest strength so not a bad person to look to on how to keep a written record. In fact, I find John St. John a more intuitive way of keeping record than the scientific way that gets passed around from modern magick and similar methods.

BasiliskEggg

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2017, 10:48:03 pm »
On my desk right now:

Nudge - Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein

Post-Modern Satanism - Jason King ( I have had this book for maybe 8? years and I recently took it out to check out these mold patterns that had developed inside some of the pages ~ they look similar to Rorschach inkblots)

IlluminAnX - Dr. Aquino

Homes and Other Black Holes - Dave Barry

NEMO 93

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2017, 05:27:35 pm »
I forgot how directly occult DC Comics are. lol Right now, they're having an event called Batman: Metal

Long story short is, Batman's been tracking down this mystery for years(that Hawkman detailed in this journal that resembles a Lovecraftian protagonist). The journal reveals it goes back to 3 tribes since the dawn of time(hawk, bat, and something else.)

There's a lof extra lore in there but the main gist is- this secret society uses this mystery to trick Batman into literally staring into this Abyss.

This allows Barbatos(who happens to be an actual demon in the Goetia) to finally locate Bruce Wayne(Barbatos is linked to Batman's origin in Arkham Asylum and then begins to track him in Time & The Batman by Grant Morrison) which then allows all these Qlipothic versions of Batman to manifest in the real world.

These are all nightmarish creatures that Bruce would become if something different had happened in his career and he went mad, such as evil versions of the Justice League or even The Batman Who Laughs(this weird cross between Hellraiser s&m Batman and The Joker).

NEMO 93

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2017, 06:38:13 pm »
I just finished my third reading of Book of the Law, it's interesting how it changes with initiated perspectives.

I no longer look at Horus' chapter as something ghastly- rather a total fucking bad-ass that I aspire to be. He's a true a Acosmic hero.

"My left hand is is empty for I have crushed a universe and naught remains" is one of my favorite quotes ever.

It speaks to the Draconian in me, of Kelly's tradition, who seek to unmake and remake the universe to suit their will. 

NEMO 93

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2018, 06:04:45 am »
I finally read some Lovecraft stories after only reading Azathoth and Dream Cats.

I must confess, I don't find these as nightmarish as I thought I would. Having grown up on gothic literature and being fascinated with paganism and the occult, as well as holding existenital thought near- it's not anything utterly horrifying to me. I suspect a mix of all these things are what manifested the fear Lovecraft felt. I feel like I'm reading familiar things through the lens of someone else.

The Crawling Chaos, as it starts out, perfectly describes the feeling of the first time I had a dream that took place in the astral. If any thing is creepy about Lovecraft, it's that he somehow tapped into occult practice while wanting nothing to do with it- and what that may imply.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy this but Edgar Allan Poe was my favorite author in first grade and always had the reaction of "cool" instead of afraid to his work as well, although some like Pit and the Pendulum give a certain thrill to reading it. Lovecraft too gives me some kind of thrill but not horror.

Maybe this will change more as I read, I hope it does, because I love Lovecraftian movies and comics. Nameless was actually pretty fucking terrifying and captures the images and plotlines I think of when I think Lovecraft(and I love that the Judeochristian God is implied to be an Eldritch Horror from Universe B that creates fear to survive in it.)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2018, 01:03:16 pm »
When it comes to Lovecraftian occultism, it's generally realized that Lovecraft is an outsider of what he describes, a non-occult person describing the occult. Meaning he takes things we desire like ascending the spheres and makes it monstrous, in some cases the specific monster Yog-Sothoth. To us it's not scary because it's all... Familiar. It's more about the imagery I'd say. Some stories like the Dreamland tales are generally not even meant to scare.

As far as Lovecraft that actually scared me a bit, I'd say Rats in the Walls was pretty good, along with Picture in the House.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

NEMO 93

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2018, 05:34:47 pm »
I'd have to agree with you on all that @Xepera maSet  which makes his work incredibly interesting but not horrifying. I think I prefer his work where he gives vivid description rather then leaving it to the imagination as well.

I'll definitely check those stories out at somettime and see if they scare me. I also started The House of Leaves, a different book by a different author, which sounds much more similar to my fears and plays on what I associate with Lovecraftian madness. I find this much more unsettling.

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2018, 03:21:41 pm »
I'm skimming through my huge PDF library of shit I haven't read. Was looking at the Big Ass ONA book and now Black Runa.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 06:34:47 pm »
First time looking through the Compendium of Demonology and Magic 1775. Here's some of the crazy shit!

https://imgur.com/a/am7Bx

- Crowley

Onyx

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 06:55:45 pm »
Would be nice to have a translation of that, couldn't find one though.

Liu

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2018, 07:55:55 pm »
Would be nice to have a translation of that, couldn't find one though.
I could help you with the Latin and German parts, it's more difficult to read than to understand.
Sounds fairly basic, though.
Page 1: "Signs of elemental spirits, fire, water, earth and air".
Page 2: "The ??? of hand-chess(?) of the operation, inside" (can't read the third word, but grammatically must be at the place of the ??? if I read the rest correctly)
Page 5: First line: That's how Belzebub appears"
Would have to look more closely onto the rest as it's fairly hard to decipher.
I might need to practice deciphering manuscripts for professional reasons anyway, and doing so with that kind of content might actually be fun.