Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 6687 times)

Xepera maSet

• Setian
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2018, 03:41:20 pm »
The Cthulhu Mythos Megapack from Kindle - 40 weird fiction tales.

The Early Upper Paleolithic Beyond Western Europe

Working overtime to uncover
the mysteries of existence
(as described by Onyx)

I have come into being like Set,
the Separator who contends against Osiris for Eternity.

Inlustratus

« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2018, 02:36:37 pm »
Recently I finished Holy Books of Thelema. (I am not a native English speaker and the book isn't in English either, so I might mistranslate something while referencing it.) It is an enjoyable book that contains more important books that Crowley wrote, like Liber AL Vel Legis. Personal favorite of mine is Liber DCCCXIII Vel Ararita Sub Figura DLXX. It's a great book that both experienced and new readers can pick up. It even contains the original Liber AL how Crowley wrote it. 70 pages of ugly handwriting that looks like gibberish. At the end it has images of The Stele of Revealing, hand drawn hieroglyphics, what each one means and full translation. I'd recommend it to anybody who can get their hands on one.
*scary satanic text*

Xepera maSet

• Setian
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2018, 03:26:47 pm »
The Sky-Religion in Egypt

Electrodynamic Man

The Devil's Party: Satanism in Modernity

(as described by Onyx)

Xepera maSet

• Setian
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2018, 06:16:52 pm »
Sky Religion in Egypt by Wainwright is one of the best, most important book on early religion ever written.

(as described by Onyx)

Onyx

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2018, 08:38:43 am »
Going through Behold: The Prince of Darkness! by @Xepera maSet . An academic summary of various aspects of Setian Philosophy with many sources cited (and a nice bibliography), but not overly long-winded and written in Plain Englishâ„¢.

Nice job man!

Xepera maSet

• Setian
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2018, 02:28:58 pm »
Thanks Onyx! Glad you like it.

(as described by Onyx)

Xepera maSet

• Setian
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2018, 11:03:55 pm »
Find Far

In the Court of the Yellow King

(as described by Onyx)

__metztli

« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2018, 05:57:59 am »
Beyond Good and Evil- Friedrich Nietzsche

After that the plan is to read the Akira manga

NEMO 93

« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2018, 05:59:52 am »
Gonna crack into some David Foster Wallace as well as Thee Psychick Bible.

Xepera maSet

• Setian
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2018, 04:22:40 pm »
Find Far was underwhelming.

Reading Visions of the Nightside and it's awesome! That's basically what the Obsidian Tablet should be.

(as described by Onyx)

Liu

« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2019, 07:55:25 pm »
I'm reading a lot of different books, but while seeking to both read something simple and getting inspiration for enhancing my spiritual practice I took a book I recently stumbled upon from my PDF pile: 365 Steps to Practical Spirituality by David Preston.

And it's rare for me to decide for a book that I won't ever finish it but that one is the greatest white light bullshit imaginable...
Preaches far and broad about how one should use reason and be skeptical and all - but tries to sell the belief in a all-good omnipresent and intelligent higher power by pointing out one flawed "proof" for it after the next (e.g. "why all-good? If it would be malicious the world would be different, wouldn't it?" - as if there would be no middle-ground that would describe reality more accurately). I find it astonishing how many obvious untruths I found on every single page without even searching. 

The book might be good for someone who has just left a traditional religion and searches for a replacement instead of for truth. It might also be an amusing read - if it wasn't painful to witness that amount of stupid.

There might be some good recommendations hidden in between but I'll easier find similar ones elsewhere I suppose.

Well, if anyone can point me to something they would recommend instead for inspiration on how to bring more spirituality into every day life? Got some more stuff that might fit the bill but don't yet know whether that's better.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:01:20 pm by Liu »

NEMO 93

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2019, 02:46:45 am »
I actually never ended up reading the books I said I was. I read some daoist texts instead.

Currently working my way through Outside the Circles of Time, Outergateways, and Beyond the Mauve zone with plans to read Hekate's whatever it was called and the finale book of the Typhonian trilogies afterward.

I'm switching between the books but I feel I've read enough Kenneth Grant now to make sense of all the ideas. If something comes up I haven't read in the other books yet, I still get the general idea and some of it is redundant yet enlightening.

Really really love his analysis of Thelema and the Current Aeon and possible meanings thereof.

Xepera maSet

• Setian
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2019, 03:44:51 am »
TSB50

(as described by Onyx)

idgo

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2019, 05:03:30 pm »
I discovered and ended up consuming the entirety of the SSOTBME Revised (https://zalbarath666.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/s-s-o-t-b-m-e-revisited-ramsey-dukes.pdf) PDF yesterday. I took him up on his " One printed copy allowed for individual use" caveat, and bound myself a copy for future annotation. Homemade paperbacks are really quite easy to put together if you happen to have an acceptable printer, some PVA glue, and some cloth on hand. Fortunately it came out with large margins; it's the kind of text that I expect to get the most value from by re-reading it in a while with a nice red pen and having a good intellectual spat with some of its allegations.

Every time I stumble back into the works of the Englishmen in the stratum of thought immediately preceding Chaos Magic/k, I'm surprised anew by how much of the incommunicable they manage to communicate. I suspect it's because they are of a culture and era sufficiently near that of my immediate forebears that their attempted synthesis of certain universal-but-indescribable concepts builds upon a set of conceptual symbols that I find very familiar. It's taking me a long time to stop cringing at the concept that their oh-so-comprehensible writings might be shadows cast by the same indescribables as the translations-of-translations-of-translations into which I have to stare so much harder to find any shred of common ground.

Less mystically, I am charmed by his use of "mine own" in place of "my own" :)

Lyscii

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2019, 05:03:32 pm »
Aside from Black Magic, I feel like SSOTBME has had the biggest impact on me of anything I've read this year. And it has easily been the most entertaining read this year. What did your paperback turn out like? I've been tempted to turn a PDF or two into something physical.

I'm currently reading Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihaly, and Behold: The Prince of Darkness by @Xepera maSet