Author Topic: What has your flavor of LHP done for you?  (Read 181 times)

jovinyo

What has your flavor of LHP done for you?
« on: October 13, 2018, 06:35:51 am »
This question was posted in the Satanism section, but I thought it would be good to ask to the group at large. LHP "sects" are just as varied as anything else and give different philosophies to those  who subscribe to them. What's better is that those who do walk the LHP know that philosophies are not absolute! So there are facets of other LHP groups that may appeal to you and you absorb those into your own personal philosophies/outlooks.

So, for the group at large:

1) What is your flavor of LHP?
2) What has that flavor of LHP done for you?
3) What other flavors of LHP have you looked into?
4) What did you like about those philosophies that you absorbed?
5) What did you not like about them? (No group is above constructive criticism)
6) What is your "5 minutes pitch" for your LHP? i.e.: if someone asked you to give a quick summary of your LHP, how would you describe it?

I'm eager to see all of your responses!

idgo

Re: What has your flavor of LHP done for you?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 07:44:18 pm »

Good question. I don't know anyone else who uses quite the same setup I do and calls it LHP, but then again I really don't talk about metaphysics with very many friends other than this forum. So if an acquaintance had identical beliefs to mine, down to the bit where much of it is useless to try to talk about, I likely wouldn't know it!

My philosophical roots are deep in Discordianism, which has made me comfortable with using and seeing metaphors as metaphors, and holding/using aspects of several contradictory viewpoints simulatneously.

If you wanted to make the case that I'm an LHP practitioner, you would focus on the aspects of my beliefs where:

• I believe in the efficacy of (some of) the techniques usually referred to as "magic" and use them extensively.
  • I seek absolute power within my own SU, and practice a variety of disciplines for bending the OU to my Will
  • I'm very hands-on with my own beliefs and brainwashing, choosing what to keep and what to remove from the content presented to me
  • I appreciate and use personal initiatory rituals as a self-modification device
  • I don't choose to consider personifications of natural forces as literally real for the purposes of everyday life

If you wanted to make a compelling case that I'm not an LHP practitioner, but rather something else entirely, you might point out that:
  • I don't recognize any one explanation of the world as "absolutely true"
  • I have little to no interest in the whole afterlife thing. I'm ok with the fact that eventually I won't exist as a single centralized "self"-experience any more, and will instead be reduced to only the collection of changes I've made to others.
  • I prefer not to consider personifications of natural forces as literally real for the purposes of everyday life
  • I have little to no interest in exerting control over others in conflict with their Wills. Sure, it's totally a thing and all, and I've done plenty of it in the past... but at the end of the day it's a heck of a lot of work for a given reward compared to getting the desired outcomes more directly.
  • I don't find it necessary to reject materialism or determinism.
  • I strongly prefer to change the OU through Causality when feasible, as opposed to trying to bully it into behaving in a way that contradicts Causality.
Reinforces my sense of personal agency. Offers more interesting questions for me to ask about the world, and yields an understanding of myself and the world in which I can (and usually do) have everything that I strongly desire. Allows me to choose to be satiable in many regards, which in turn yields satisfaction.

Contrasted against more, uh, extreme flavors of LHP, it also keeps me substantially safer (through lower risk taking) and diminishes the likelihood of losing the rewards I've reaped from prior work.

Oh jeez. Not all of these are LHP but they're all non-RHP stuff I've looked into in a similar vein... I accidentally you a table.
PracticeLikesDislikes

DiscordianismPromotes absolute subjective power (albeit in a bit of a surrealist way); minimal demands to exclude other beliefsDiscourages/ignores application of that power

Vampirism as portrayed in book "psychic self-defense" that I stumbled into at an early ageFormed strong beliefs about efficacy of shielding, which have served me well in meddling with other stuff ever sincemostly n/a; portrayal of vampirism as super evil was kinda unnecessary but not really harmful

LaVeyan SatanismDecent explanations of psychological mechanisms of organized religionFocused on un-brainwashing an indoctrination I never had; strange relationship with theism

Vampirism (ToV)Excellent metaphors/explanations for the experiences of power flow and to some extent group dynamicsEncouragement to increase explicit dependence on others -- imo a huge step backwards from independence, for insufficient reward

QuareiaGood structure, comprehensive teachings; I can see how this would be very useful to those without my avoidance of... ... Insistence of externalizing forces and giving them the capacity to harm the practitioner super early on.

Hermetics and its descendentsRaises good questions to ask; super neat historical impactsUnsubstantiated "Ancient Egypt knew EEEEVERYTHING" assumptions get a bit grating after awhile

psionicsNeat energy metaphor; I appreciate the school's pragmatism. Exercises with a friend helped me explore the efficacy of my, uh, what they call "shielding". Not really a complaint, but it's all what/how and very little why

Wicca/PaganismInteresting study in what's worked for others, especially herbalismMemorizing a wall of other peoples' correspondences to get stuff to work is not really my style

ThelemaHelpful formalization of nature of WillI'm not big into joining churches even if they're Cool Edgy Churches

Mathematics & computer scienceGood tools for categorizing problems, proves to me that determinism in no way rules out experience of power and free willAll what and how, no why

Psychology courses/textbooksKinda explains human behavior somewhat; steadily eating medieval "magic"'s lunch by explaining cognitive biases etcPretty much more superstition than science if you look at how the studies never frickin' replicate reliably

"Chaos Magick"Huge umbrella of lots of interesting stuff, drawn together by excellent pragmatism/applicabilityCan lead to delusion and loss of personal control if used on its own, imo

Artificial intelligence theory (Turing, Dennett, Hofsteader, etc)Best "objective"/"non-woo-woo" deep dives into the nature of self I've ever encounteredTakes a bit of work and synthesis to turn the insights into anything actionable

NLP/PUAUseful psychological insights applicable to both self and othersAttracts community of people I'm not particularly enthusiastic about hanging out with

SetianismPerplexingly manages to draw very solid conclusions from some sketchy premises; reminiscent of arithmetical errors cancelling each other outDemands to be incompatible with materialism and determinism, even though imo it totally isn't

Good ol' drugsOption to shut off the systems that check all brain input for whether it's compatible with worldviewgarbage in, garbage out. "Insights" only useful after later more rigorous examination.

6) What is your "5 minutes pitch" for your LHP? i.e.: if someone asked you to give a quick summary of your LHP, how would you describe it?

Dude, I can do that one in 30 seconds:

Make the thing that works for you. I have no reason to suspect that the thing that works well for me will work well for you, so like it's probably actually a pretty bad idea to just crib off my notes instead of going to class yourself.

Olive

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:42:44 pm »
I wrote over 1000 words responding to this post yesterday and lost em all in a power flicker. Oh well - I tried. I'm going to be putting my effort towards developing my efforts to express my tradition in a more focused way rather than having another go glossing the whole field.

I may come back and give a few thoughts at a later date, but until then I bid you adieu. Good thread, and really nice response from @idgo - I find your perspective to be even handed and reasonable. (No offense to your discordian side :b)
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

idgo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 05:33:57 am »
I find your perspective to be even handed and reasonable. (No offense to your discordian side :b)

I lost half that table a couple times... definitely helped me get it more concise on the final typing out.

Perception of sounding reasonable speaks only to how well I communicate, and not at all to the fundamental nature of the beliefs I was thinking of while forming that communication. So, thank you! I'm glad you found the writeup of some use.

Little Beast

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:17:25 am »

1) A syncretic blend of classical Gnosticism, Satanism and Chaos Magic.
2) Given me a language to describe relevant egregores as actual valid living social constructs with far more objective intellect and evolution than their devolved creators. Therefore giving me an ability to be able to say to a self described "atheistic materialist" that they are theistic and worship an internal god (their ego) and an external god (money). All the while being able to maintain a form of psychological rationalism which their feeble hominid monkey minds cannot argue with due to their own self imposed limitations.
3) All I have encountered.
4) The actual stories of their creators, the how/when/why of their creation, and the converse reaction upon both the "mainstream" and the "counterculture" upon a little necromancy.
5) Varied, but their dogma for the most part. By far most LHP groups (as compared to individual practitioners) are RHP reactionists.
6)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:00:35 am by Little Beast »

Kapalika

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 04:43:43 am »
Unholy shit @idgo , that formating is good didn't know you could do that on the forum!

1. Vamachara (LHP) Kashmir Shaivism (Trika) which is Tantric and thus compatible with what it's mixed with, mostly pantheistic Satanism with a dash of self aware humor. And lots of pizza.

2. Made life sane and bearable. Other than learning to improve myself... I guess it helped me get to what I believe now, which of course i"d hold as true.

3. Bunches of Satanisms, Luciferianism (I consider myself Luciferian though, in terms of how I actually practice Satanism). Looked into pretty much a little bit of everything. The one thing I gotta look into sometime and really want to, is Shakta LHP but I never get around to it lol

4. Not sure, generally when I don't get much out of it I don't look too much more into it. So most of what I actually look into in depth I tend to be into, unless someone brings it across me (like on the forums here for example). Although, I've looked into a lot of Satanism with no actual interest in it. I like getting the different perspective and I'm kinda into it partly for a historical / anthropological interest.

5. shrugs. some are annoying or too caught up in cosmological views I find not easy to defend, I'd guess. Some are crazy (like the ONA). Some are just for assholes.

6. Uh, heterodoxy? Well, heterodoxy that aschews the orthodoxy's rules when it comes to practice, rituals ect, but it's all very contextual. In a way, the LHP is kinda like hipster spirituality, on a meta scale. Lol no but really it's kinda hard to generalize I feel like, better to give examples.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:45:17 am by Kapalika »
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

NEMO 93

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 05:11:01 am »
So, for the group at large:

1) What is your flavor of LHP? Chaos magic, Thelema, Anticosmic Chaos-Gnosticism though a pagan lens (particularly thursakyngi), Draconian path, and Typhonian Thelma.

2) What has that flavor of LHP done for you? Radically helped me alter my perception and sense of identity. Made me a much more effective and pragmatic occultist. I'm on my 4th year and feel pretty accomplished so I would say fast but a bit of trial by fire.

3) What other flavors of LHP have you looked into? Setianism. I like the macrocosmic/micocosmic philosophy and michael kelly but it's mainly not for me. Lovecraftian. Slavic Middle Path.

Chaos Magic: belief is a tool. no dogma. randomness, freedom.

Chaos-Gnosticsm: it's a good melding of all the other flavors I'm into with chaos magic. And I genuinely find the belief in chaos as the primordial energy most reasonable and powerful.  Also, the rebellion in freedom. Also, trial by fire.

Draconian: The non-linear view of time it seeks. Often, you see that view of time linked to godhood. The potential that belief system has is near-infinite, it seems very versatile. Speaking from an academic point of view, that belief has existed and some native american tribes have a language that refers to time in such a way.

Thelema: I firmly believe the Book of the Law is a useful channeled text and find Crowley's writing style entertaining. I love what he added to the Enochian system, I like the theology of it, and find Horus, Set, and Isis as well as other Egyptian godforms present in my life. Horus in the Book of the Law is an inspiring figure. I really like ceremonial style of magic as long as I alter it to my paradigm.

Typhonian: Isis is one of my biggest matron deities, along with Hekate, and the one that's been the
 in my paradigm longest. And with my interest in chaos, thelema, hekate, and draconian paths Typhonian is a natural leap. It's the evolution of Thelema, the origin of draconian occultism, and incorporates all of that, plus lovecraft.

Paganism: I always loved mythology and it just really resonates with me.

Chaos-gnosticism: How much it is argued against by people who doesn't think it conforms to LHP. That there were less edgelords involved in. Sometimes trial by fire isn't fun.

Draconian: Again, less edgelords. Wish there were more books on the subject.

Thelema: Crowleyanity.

Typhonian: Kenneth Grant can be annoying to read.

Paganism: I love it, no complaints.

Chaos Magic: No complaints here either.

liberation of perception and will power, working with primordial forces, exploration of the fringe and pushing farther into uncharted territory, freedom and empowerment of self.