Author Topic: In your belief system, how do you cope with adversity?  (Read 151 times)

Deidre

In your belief system, how do you cope with adversity?
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:03:22 am »
I started a new job. I believe in God, and thought that he led me to this job. It seemed to happen effortlessly, and I prayed about it. But, I'm not happy lately in this job. I know no job is perfect, but I feel like for the past few weeks, I've been working as hard as I can, but with little return. (I'm in marketing)

So, I pray for strength, and I ask God...what should I do? While I know he cares (this is my belief) I feel like he doesn't decide for us what we should do next, when faced with adversity.

How do you process adversity, in your belief system? How do you know you're doing the right thing or on the right course, when you make decisions?

Just wondering.
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

Mindmaster

Re: In your belief system, how do you cope with adversity?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 03:57:23 am »
I started a new job. I believe in God, and thought that he led me to this job. It seemed to happen effortlessly, and I prayed about it. But, I'm not happy lately in this job. I know no job is perfect, but I feel like for the past few weeks, I've been working as hard as I can, but with little return. (I'm in marketing)

So, I pray for strength, and I ask God...what should I do? While I know he cares (this is my belief) I feel like he doesn't decide for us what we should do next, when faced with adversity.

How do you process adversity, in your belief system? How do you know you're doing the right thing or on the right course, when you make decisions?

Just wondering.

Probably the hardest thing in being spiritual is eventually leading to the understanding that when you are suffering you needed to. :D

Though my deity is different than yours much later on I learned that he was suffering with me, like a father watching over a child would empathize with their struggles. Whatever the current challenges are, they are important to make you into what you are growing to be. How we have to learn these lessons is different for us all, but sometimes there is no easy way. If your connection with God is solid, then you'd be aware of that... I'm just mentioning it in case you are more "belief-y" than in communication. I don't mean that in a judgmental way, nonetheless, it's we all process these things differently and our interface to the divine is shaped to suit our nature.

With Satanism, the difference is only that we know we are responsible for our actions and also the agent of the solution. We hope that Satan would lead us to the answers, but sometimes we're left to tough it out to make us stronger. I'm not mad with Satan when it doesn't work out as with a little bit of thought I can see where better choices could have been made. If the choice was taken away where'd be the fun in life anyway? :D Anyway, such trials are simply tests with the goal of becoming a spiritual adult, if you will, and the higher powers are teaching you how to fly; you can't be in the nest forever, metaphorically.

None of us truly knows if we are the right course, but there is nothing gained by doubting oneself. Make the best decisions you can and if you regret it later simply vow to never repeat it. That's all you can do anyway. Take the lesson, warts and all, and do something useful with it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:43:29 am by Mindmaster »

idgo

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:23:43 am »
I double down on the personal agency thing. I re-analyse each factor that got me into a situation, and look for ways I could have controlled key ones. I then alter my decision-making, if feasible, to reassure myself that I will not get into the same kind of adversity for the same reasons in the future. I find it far easier to deal with discomfort or inconvenience when I am fully aware of the ways in which I brought it upon myself, and the tradeoffs that I can choose in the future in order to avoid it.

That's not a guarantee that I will definitely avoid it, but it is a guarantee that I will be more informed in the future, and thus by improving my future knowledge and power the hardship doesn't "go to waste".

Little Beast

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:40:18 am »
I was put in a cage prior to believing in anything.

I'm still in that cage, and hold the key to the door. I let anyone out or in according to their own choices.

“None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.”

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper... NO.”

- Roschach

Deidre

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:11:40 pm »

Just wondering.

Probably the hardest thing in being spiritual is eventually leading to the understanding that when you are suffering you needed to. :D

Though my deity is different than yours much later on I learned that he was suffering with me, like a father watching over a child would empathize with their struggles. Whatever the current challenges are, they are important to make you into what you are growing to be. How we have to learn these lessons is different for us all, but sometimes there is no easy way. If your connection with God is solid, then you'd be aware of that... I'm just mentioning it in case you are more "belief-y" than in communication. I don't mean that in a judgmental way, nonetheless, it's we all process these things differently and our interface to the divine is shaped to suit our nature.

With Satanism, the difference is only that we know we are responsible for our actions and also the agent of the solution. We hope that Satan would lead us to the answers, but sometimes we're left to tough it out to make us stronger. I'm not mad with Satan when it doesn't work out as with a little bit of thought I can see where better choices could have been made. If the choice was taken away where'd be the fun in life anyway? :D Anyway, such trials are simply tests with the goal of becoming a spiritual adult, if you will, and the higher powers are teaching you how to fly; you can't be in the nest forever, metaphorically.

None of us truly knows if we are the right course, but there is nothing gained by doubting oneself. Make the best decisions you can and if you regret it later simply vow to never repeat it. That's all you can do anyway. Take the lesson, warts and all, and do something useful with it.

When do you become so wise? :)

I hadn’t thought of it like this, thank you.
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

Liu

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 06:31:48 am »
I don't know whether it makes any sense or has any higher purpose when things go wrong.
The only thing I can do is try to learn from it and make the best out of it.
Sure I can pray and hope that the divine actually has a plan, but I wouldn't count on it. Nevertheless, it's a very comfortable illusion to believe one would know that there is a reason, and one can actually draw strength from that, thereby making it at times a self-fulfilling prophecy.
If that sounds like cognitive dissonance, then probably because it is, but at least I'm aware that I switch between two beliefs depending on whether my rational or my emotional needs are stronger.

Regarding your situation in the OP, if you are certain that your were divinely guided to that job - perhaps it's not your deity's intention that you keep that job permanently, perhaps you rather should learn something from the experience of having that job for a limited amount of time, or even from having to give it up. Or from not giving up despite the circumstances. I don't know, just do whatever seems right to you.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:33:57 am by Liu »