Author Topic: fictional religions that resemble Satanism?  (Read 1532 times)

Little Beast

Re: fictional religions that resemble Satanism?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 02:09:39 am »
Who knows - wasn't familiar with Dune, but from reading the Wikipedia article about them, that kind of training and especially the kind of abilities the Bene Gessererit have would certainly appeal to a lot of us.

I was just referring to "reverend mothers" who are selective about who they breed with. I kind of have a problem with people breeding just because our genetics are programmed for reproduction.

My own mother likes to make a point out of the virgin Mary, although she's not a Christian. Virgin doesn't have to have its usual sexual meaning, and can simply mean pure. She likes to work Extra Virgin Olive Oil into this little analogy. "Props to mum" indeed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:12:43 am by Little Beast »
I'll be a thorn in your side,
'Til you die
I'll be a thorn in your side
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 02:32:22 pm »
petulant infantile grandiosity

This stuff is picking up and we have to stop.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Kapalika

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2018, 04:29:49 pm »
BDSM is pretty popular, and I'm into it. Satanists in general are more likely to explore novel sexual practices than suppress their curiosity. Safe, sane and consensual as the saying in BDSM goes.

So a fictional religion that has those themes, that is also 'dark' and other wise has some satanic like flavor, I'm going to appreciate.

I know a lot of fictional hedonism religions have these themes, someone already mentioned some of the daedra in the Elder Srolls series, I can't remember all their names but thinking about it taking parts of various ones you could probably remake Satanism. But unfortunately their depiciton in recent games have been dumbed down to just be 'evil' in a lot of cases
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Etu Malku

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 04:47:11 pm »
BDSM is pretty popular, and I'm into it. Satanists in general are more likely to explore novel sexual practices than suppress their curiosity. Safe, sane and consensual as the saying in BDSM goes.

So a fictional religion that has those themes, that is also 'dark' and other wise has some satanic like flavor, I'm going to appreciate.

I know a lot of fictional hedonism religions have these themes, someone already mentioned some of the daedra in the Elder Srolls series, I can't remember all their names but thinking about it taking parts of various ones you could probably remake Satanism. But unfortunately their depiciton in recent games have been dumbed down to just be 'evil' in a lot of cases
Do you think the writers of these games, similar to some writers in film, are becoming hip to LHP philosophies and that is why there is more and more LHP philosophy intertwined in the game plots?
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Mindmaster

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 09:44:54 pm »
petulant infantile grandiosity

This stuff is picking up and we have to stop.

Argue the subject, but don't make the speakers the subject. It's just trolling anyway. :D

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 11:05:44 pm »
I myself often use the Daedric planes of Oblivion from The Elder Scrolls to explain the Setian afterlife. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is one of the most meditative LHP stories of I have ever seen, from mythology and story to gameplay and progression. Pi Rameses himself wrote an article for The Imperishable Star volume III on the video game Nocturne and it's LHP implications.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Onyx

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 11:38:09 pm »
This is a little off-topic because it doesn't concern a fictional religion per se. I don't do games much anymore, but was into Quake for a very long time (particularly Quake III Arena, its free variant OpenArena, and Quake Live).

I mention this game because it is pure LBM. I played two modes: deathmatch and capture-the-flag. It was challenging in terms of thinking ahead, knowing your opponents, fast reflexes, etc.

Many of the capture-the-flag games were scheduled between "clans". You had to know both your own team and the others, lots of planning went on behind the scenes or during in-game chat to adjust the strategy.

But it all boiled down to the arts of deceit and skill like any other "sport". Despite the seemingly simple nature of the game, it was actually pretty complex and interesting to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:57:27 pm by Onyx »

Little Beast

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 03:23:10 am »
Do you think the writers of these games, similar to some writers in film, are becoming hip to LHP philosophies and that is why there is more and more LHP philosophy intertwined in the game plots?

I'd say myth is deeply embedded in storytelling, and that gaming is a form of storytelling with the added illusion of the player being in the narrative. Many popular games are fantasy and science fiction based, and the most popular stories of those genres are easily the works of JJR Tolkien and George Lucas. Both of these creators were consciously creating mythologies, and both borrowed heavily from pre-existing myth cycles. As another example; Batman is immensely popular, but a huge swathe of the characters fan base wouldn't recognise that Arkham Asylum and indeed the Joker himself are Lovecraftian in theme.

The ability to read, write and sing songs were once the most outlandish and arcane of all the arts of humanity. Some notable board games were used as ways to teach martial (military) arts. I'd even dare say that without the LHP entertainment would only exist as instructional booklets on how to pay your taxes and films about marching rank and file.
'Til you die
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 12:29:17 am »
A lot of Lovecraft is extremely Esoteric.

- Crowley

Little Beast

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 03:19:44 pm »
OCTOBER 16, 1985

42nd Street: Womens breasts draped across every billboard, every display, littering the sidewalk. Was offered Swedish love and French love...but not American love. American love; like Coke in green glass bottles...they don't make it anymore. Thought about Moloch's story on way to cemetery. Could all be lies. Could all be part of a revenge scheme, planned during his decade behind bars. But if true, then what? Puzzling reference to an island. Also to Dr. Manhattan. Might he be at risk in some way? So many questions. Never mind. Answers soon. Nothing is insoluble. Nothing is hopeless. Not while there's life. In the cemetery, all the white crosses stood in rows, neat chalk marks on a giant scoreboard. Paid last respects quietly, without fuss. Edward Morgan Blake. Born in 1924. Forty-five years a comedian. Died 1985, buried in the rain. Is that what happens to us? A life of conflict with no time for friends...so that when it's done, only our enemies leave roses. Violent lives, ending violently. Dollar Bill , The Silhouette, Captain Metropolis...we never die in bed. Not allowed. Something in our personalities, perhaps? Some animal urge to fight and struggle, making us what we are? Unimportant. We do what we have to do. Blake understood. Treated it like a joke, but he understood. He saw the cracks in society, saw the little men in masks trying to hold it together...he saw the true face of the twentieth century and chose to become a reflection of it, a parody of it. No one else saw the joke. That's why he was lonely. Heard joke once: Man goes into doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But, Doctor...I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

- Rorschach's journal
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:21:55 pm by Little Beast »
'Til you die
For All Ways

- Chvrches - We Sink

Myhla

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 08:48:47 pm »
Very nice topic, imo. Myself, I have toyed with the prospect of fictio-magickal LHP systems. While I think the Lovecraftian model is very cool (and one I have personal connection with), I do think it's been over-done a bit.

I've often thought of what a Tolkeinnian LHP system might look like, envisioning something like the Temple of Sauron, or Melkorite/Morgothian Black Magick, but I'm not sure I have the sustained belief in it to make it very actual. I do still toy with the idea though, thinking about how it might work according to a Chaos Magick paradigm.

I was also surprised (and thought it a wonderful synchronicity) that Aquino included a section on Melkor in his Satanic Bible.  :thumbsup:

Liu

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 02:07:14 pm »
I've often thought of what a Tolkeinnian LHP system might look like, envisioning something like the Temple of Sauron, or Melkorite/Morgothian Black Magick, but I'm not sure I have the sustained belief in it to make it very actual. I do still toy with the idea though, thinking about how it might work according to a Chaos Magick paradigm.
I had completely forgotten about that but I used to have a crush on and feel worshippy towards Sauron for a short while in my teens.
I think it ended when I read Feanor's Curse (or however that's called in English) - because if any then Morgoth would have been the proper choice as you mention but I couldn't really relate to him.

One of the problems I have with the chaos magick approach - or at least with how it's often presented - is that it assumes the psyche to be a blank slate that can adopt any belief system.

When devising a belief system I would base it on what fits me - i.e. what I connect with, and what goals I have. A belief system is unlikely to work that well for most other people as for its creator.

Well not interested in spiritually exploring Tolkien's myths for the time being.

Myhla

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 05:49:20 pm »
I had completely forgotten about that but I used to have a crush on and feel worshippy towards Sauron for a short while in my teens.
I think it ended when I read Feanor's Curse (or however that's called in English) - because if any then Morgoth would have been the proper choice as you mention but I couldn't really relate to him.

One of the problems I have with the chaos magick approach - or at least with how it's often presented - is that it assumes the psyche to be a blank slate that can adopt any belief system.

When devising a belief system I would base it on what fits me - i.e. what I connect with, and what goals I have. A belief system is unlikely to work that well for most other people as for its creator.

Well not interested in spiritually exploring Tolkien's myths for the time being.

Totally get you there. Myself, while I do have an interest in spiritually exploring Tolkien's mythos, it's more of a cursory thing. I sometimes wish I were more serious about it than I am, but I am not. I really can't see myself putting all of my energy into that sort of thing (although, when I watch LoTR and have enough beer, listen to the right albums... the prospect is like: "For f**king Sauron!" lol).

I guess if I were to do something like that, it'd be more of a hobby/side-project... but that alone makes it less real, and less of a priority for me.

I hear what you're saying, too, about Chaos Magick in general. Now, I haven't delved in too deeply into this idea, aside from being involved with some groups, and reading Peter J. Carroll's Liber Null & Psychonaut. While I may not agree with all the ideas within Chaos Magick (specifically for the reasons you mentioned, as well as others), I would definitely reccommend that book to anyone. Myself, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, ended up reading it twice straightaway!

Having said that, I don't think I will go too far into the Chaos literature from here on out; but it has been something to learn from.

Liu

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 10:49:35 pm »
I think I might have read at least one of the books you mentioned a few years back (can't check at the moment since I'm traveling and don't have all my PDFs with me). Thanks for the recommendation in any case.

Myhla

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 03:48:01 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation in any case.

Absolutely, my pleasure.  ;)