Author Topic: Advice for buying quality LHP books  (Read 140 times)

Dongloo

Advice for buying quality LHP books
« on: October 08, 2018, 10:30:23 pm »
My beginner's approach to buying occult, LHP books is to acquire a broad collection of subjects that seem appealing. To then read all of them several times, in order to get the message. Followed by diving deeper into the specific topics/arenas that, after having read a few surface level texts, appear to be most useful to my education. But this philosophy is (1) expensive and (2) time consuming, two of my most precious resources.

All of that said, does anyone have advice on how I can be more effective in my buying habits? Also, are there any recommended publishers or markets for buying good LHP books?

I don't want to keep spending money on duds. But I also understand that I need to put in the leg work to really earn a proper education. I am willing to do what I need to in order for my pathwork to continue.

Onyx

Re: Advice for buying quality LHP books
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 12:06:21 am »
Interests vary widely, so I'm not sure about any "best" source. But maybe people can post suggestions of books they find valuable (with short commentaries, links to purchase sites/PDFs, etc.) We have some recommendations in our Library of the Ancient Serpent.

Archive.org has a ton of books, which are apparently legal to download as long as you don't re-distribute them yourself. Like checking out books from a library without ever having to return them. :D

Mindmaster

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:41:00 am »
I don't want to keep spending money on duds. But I also understand that I need to put in the leg work to really earn a proper education. I am willing to do what I need to in order for my pathwork to continue.

First thing to realize is most of them are similar or the same, there really is no reason to spend much. Most of them are literally copy-paste or rewording of something else. All of the classical grimoires are public domain and can be had for free, so no reason to buy those ever.

I guess from us to recommend more relevant books or information I'd have to know something of your interests in the first place, and right now I'd simply be guessing. There is a good list here off the main page in the library, but we could pare this down to some more relevant info with a bit of feedback.

Anyway, remember that the LHP is a practice not simply a philosophy; what you read will never be as relevant as what you are doing. It'd be far more valuable and productive to master a few simple techniques or implement core principles in your life, rather than emptying your wallet. There are more books in existence than either us could read in our entire lives. We could take it upon ourselves attempt to accomplish that impossible task, or realize that fact and start working with what is in front of us. There is really no way other way to separate the wheat from the chaff.  Occultniks are basically grouped by the drivel they make money writing about, so just because there is more of it doesn't mean it's useful. Most of the stuff published by Red Wheel/Weiser or Llewellyn are complete trash, so I'll save you a bunch of money there. :D

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:46:21 am by Mindmaster »

Onyx

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 03:09:50 am »
Anyway, remember that the LHP is a practice not simply a philosophy; what you read will never be as relevant as what you are doing. It'd be far more valuable and productive to master a few simple techniques or implement core principles in your life, rather than emptying your wallet.

This is a good point. You can try on shoes or gloves all day to see what fits, but have to keep them on for awhile and break them in before you really know if they were worth the price paid.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:12:05 am by Onyx »

idgo

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:52:54 pm »
Project Gutenberg is a good source for having a free-and-legal read through of pre-copyright works.

My personal approach is to grab a free-and-possibly-not-legal pdf of an interesting-sounding book for my first read through it. If I anticipate ever wanting to read it again, I pick up a physical copy.

Then again, 80-90% of what I've collected as "good LHP books" are unrelated to "the occult" -- for many, I don't think the authors are even aware of what the LHP is or how useful their works are on it!

For instance, literally any bestselling self-help book contains valuable LBM insights, because if you read it from the right angle it'll paint a detailed portrait of the needs that drive its target audience to eat it up -- and if it's a bestseller, it's either doing something you can learn from marketing-wise or successfully targets a very large audience!