Author Topic: Dr. Stephen Flowers on why Odin is a Prince of Darkness  (Read 527 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Dr. Stephen Flowers on why Odin is a Prince of Darkness
« on: October 05, 2018, 11:55:03 pm »
From Lords of the Left Hand Path

"The figure of Odin and his myths hold our attention when we seek to find the dark side of the northern world. The name Odin means “the master of inspiration.”22 The Old Norse form is Óðinn. The key to the name can be found in the Old Norse word óðr, which means “poetic inspiration” and is derived from the earlier Proto-Germanic root wōð-, meaning “rage” and “inspiration.” The Old Norse name Óðinn is identical to Old English Woden. (It is a regular linguistic rule in Old Norse to drop the initial /w-/ before certain vowels.) This is a decidedly “psychic” god in the sense that his name and function refer to essentially soul-related or psychological powers and faculties. He is often depicted as a dark god of intrigue and mysterious motivations.

To gain universal wisdom, Odin gives (sacrifices) “himself to himself” that he might take up the runes: symbols of articulated universal knowledge.23 These runes he shares with certain humans. Odin further pledges one of his eyes, which is then sunk into Mimir’s Well (the Well of Memory), so that he may gain the special sight that drinking from the well gives.24 He (along with his two other aspects) endows humankind with threefold spiritual qualities shared with the gods.25 In sharing divine consciousness and the runes of wisdom with humankind, Odin is very much like the figure of Prometheus in Hellenic mythology. The major difference is that in doing so he is not transgressing against authoritarian rule of law."

From Black Runa

Had to just take notes as I couldn't copy/paste from it.

- The way of Wotan was the only historical example of a National LHP school.

- Walhalla is a LHP afterlife.

- He is the a of the questing magical hero.

- He is the master of inspiration.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:21:09 am by Xepera maSet »

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460

Etu Malku

Re: Dr. Stephen Flowers on why Odin is a Prince of Darkness
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 12:44:08 pm »
A good book on this subject as well is Äsruþr Cyneaþsson's 'The Left-hand of Odin' which explores Odin as an archetypal god of the left-hand path.

EyeofLeviathan

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 03:45:45 pm »
Why exactly is it that Black Runa is so difficult to get ahold of? Is it just that the order of the Trapezoid wants to keep it a secret or something of that nature?

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 03:53:38 pm »
Why exactly is it that Black Runa is so difficult to get ahold of? Is it just that the order of the Trapezoid wants to keep it a secret or something of that nature?

Unfortunately yes.

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460

Liu

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 05:34:56 pm »
The name Odin means “the master of inspiration.”22 The Old Norse form is Óðinn. The key to the name can be found in the Old Norse word óðr, which means “poetic inspiration” and is derived from the earlier Proto-Germanic root wōð-, meaning “rage” and “inspiration.”
Etymology is not exactly one of the hard sciences, so pretty difficult to prove anything, but I would at least like to know how he came up with that.
Yes, the word likely is related to a word meaning "rage", possibly also "inspiration". But I don't think any "master of" is to be found in there (unless the -inn was a word formation suffix of that meaning, but that would be entirely new to me), so it describes Óðinn rather as a personification of that aspect of psyche.
The footnote provides a source, but no further explanation, and I don't have access to that article too easily.

He (along with his two other aspects) endows humankind with threefold spiritual qualities shared with the gods.25 In sharing divine consciousness and the runes of wisdom with humankind, Odin is very much like the figure of Prometheus in Hellenic mythology. The major difference is that in doing so he is not transgressing against authoritarian rule of law."
Hm, same source again, and I wonder on what this interpretation is based.

- The way of Wotan was the only historical example of a National LHP school.

- Walhalla is a LHP afterlife.
At least these first two are not confirmed from my reading of Old Norse literature (even though also not outright refuted).
I got a scan of Black Rûna, so I could read it myself (seems comparatively short), but if you would summarize his arguments (or at least point to the page numbers) it'd be appreciated.

EDIT: Found it myself (p. 25). No explanation given, and some of the claims there seem even more outlandish to me (rebirth beliefs in Germanic paganism? Erulians as a term designating people on a spiritual path?) but well, he should know more about that than me.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:49:31 pm by Liu »

pi_rameses

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 02:06:12 am »
A good book on this subject as well is Äsruþr Cyneaþsson's 'The Left-hand of Odin' which explores Odin as an archetypal god of the left-hand path.

Yeah. This book is a great read. I've also saved a video of his full presentation:

Master Willem was right. Evolution without courage will be the ruin of our race.
-Lawrence