Author Topic: idgo forgot its grimoire at home and is using this instead  (Read 8672 times)

Liu

Re: idgo forgot its grimoire at home and is using this instead
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2020, 11:12:35 am »
That (i.e. the first part of your post) is basically the main reason why I'd like to live in an apartment of my own (i.e. not a shared apartment) next time I move - in my current apartment I only have one room completely to myself, even if quite a big one, which means the place where I sleep, where I work, where I exercise, where I study, where I do rituals,... is not really physically separate and often exactly the same spot.
Having separate rooms for separate purposes makes it easier to also shift the mindset accordingly and also to manipulate one's surroundings - which tools, books, art one places in which room - which again helps the mind by reducing distractions.

idgo

« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2020, 03:56:04 pm »
That (i.e. the first part of your post) is basically the main reason why I'd like to live in an apartment of my own (i.e. not a shared apartment) next time I move - in my current apartment I only have one room completely to myself, even if quite a big one, which means the place where I sleep, where I work, where I exercise, where I study, where I do rituals,... is not really physically separate and often exactly the same spot.
Having separate rooms for separate purposes makes it easier to also shift the mindset accordingly and also to manipulate one's surroundings - which tools, books, art one places in which room - which again helps the mind by reducing distractions.

A year in a shared dormitory, and then several in various rooms of shared houses, got me started on appreciating the impact of sight lines and started building my fondness for good curtains. In my favorite setup, my bed was against the wall at the far end of the room, with a tall wardrobe next to the foot and a tall bookcase next to the head (shelves facing so that they were easily accessible from the bed, and one doubled as a nightstand). I placed a shower curtain rod between the wardrobe and bookcase, and hung a really nice burgundy brocade curtain across it which I had picked up secondhand somewhere originally intending to make some garment out of it. Then the center of the room was open for whatever I might need an open, non-bed, non-work space for... and at the other end of the room I had my desk against the wall with a view out the window, and a second tall bookcase backed against the desk with a poster hung over the desk side, such that the only things I could see when sitting at it were the outdoors and the art. I find that curtains and bookcases work just as well as doors and walls to make my brain think it's in a separate "room", though of course other brains may function differently.

A trick which works for some, though I've had less success with it due to the natures of my various hobbies, is to have a space as a blank canvas and basically keep little kits to rapidly redecorate it and change its nature. I think this is what people are on about when they make altars that are easy to pack up and move around, and when they get out a yoga mat and workout clothing to exercise at home despite the fact that all the actions could be performed the same way in their pajamas on the rug.

But on the whole, simply advancing one's power and influence until it is no inconvenience to own one's space is a preferable long-term solution.

Liu

« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2020, 11:24:36 am »
That curtain approach might also work for me, except that I can't think of a way to make it happen with my current furniture and room dimensions. My shelf is clearly not sturdy enough to be put anywhere but against a wall in the corner, and the closest vertical sturdy surfaces that I could put telescopic rod between for hanging up a curtain to split the room are more than 4m (13.1feet) apart, which is likely to not result in a very robust setup. And changing the way the furniture is currently arranged is unlikely to increase its practicality.

But as a lot of the things that I need focus for are on a screen, I'll rather work on my digital setup being free of distractions. For this, the digital equivalent of blank canvas and ready-made kits are obvious choices. Additionally, what also makes it easier is to utilize rituals for changing the mindset - be it writing down the task one is to focus on, or starting a pomodoro timer to signify a time span of no distractions, or having a recurring routine in general.

Onyx

« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2020, 06:03:25 pm »
Some random thoughts:

Being free of distractions is something I think most of us strive towards, at least to a reasonable degree. I'm not much of a socialite, nor do I wish to be fashionable. And I also try not to lust after results (rush them all you want, best of luck).

I had the hieroglyph of the Separator tattooed on my arm a few years ago. It's a bit of a psychological/spiritual "black curtain" in a sense, as a pull of the sleeve serves as a reminder that the Powers of Darkness are at my behest. If someone ever questioned it: "Oh, that was a long time ago. I saw it in the catalog, just thought it looked cool!".

I find power in my obscurity and separate nature, things this thread brought to mind.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:09:02 pm by Onyx »

idgo

« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2020, 01:48:02 am »
Back on the concept of the societal utility of sin:

Onboarded at a new job recently, which means another batch of mandatory "ethics and code of conduct" training. It's fascinating how their heuristic for whether conduct is "wrong" includes "would it embarrass the company if it was found out publicly?". Seems a very pragmatic use of Pride as a universal constant.

idgo

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2020, 05:36:59 pm »
this wasn't even planned... I wonder how hard it would be to arrange to get paid half a cent less per pay period

idgo

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2020, 05:25:49 am »
There's a certain commonality between "evils" and "self-cares". Take for instance reneging on a promise due to a change in personal circumstances which makes the promise more difficult than anticipated to fulfill.

The sociocultural virus that some name Colonialism does play itself out in curious ways. It builds castes, and when a member of a lower caste forces its pain upon a member of a higher one, it is condemned for childishness. Yet if a member of a higher caste voluntarily takes on the same pain of a lower caste individual, it is praised wildly for virtue and selflesness. It's true that one group doesn't know the real experience of the other, but often overlooked how this divide cuts both ways. Because the higher castes built by this pathology have had it so long, grown so symbiotic with it, that if it was removed they would have nothing left. The lower castes -- those more newly added to the system -- are within reach of an identity from before, an identity outside of it. It is possible for someone of a group more newly added to Colonialism to reject it... but those of groups which have carried it like that fungus in the wasps so long that everything before is truly erased, might collapse like the empty bug-shell that's left if you pull out its mushroom occupant. I suspect this may relate to the over-representation in LHP of individuals from the groups longest-ridden by the Colonialism meme: LHP was built out of what scraps could be found from what they had before, or grafted in from neighboring cultures. And this might explain that desperation within it, long puzzling to me, to pretend that traditions date back far longer than they do: The newly colonialized hate its shit and turn back to what they distantly remember being better. The oldly colonialized, sick with whatever was had by wherever Rome caught and spread it from, have no such straightforward path out. Can one blame some for seeking to break or build such a way out when it seems available by no other means?

Colonialism is not a perfect name for the phenomenon, but it comes close. It's the "acting white", the culture rather than the color, of which one identical twin could very well accuse another if they deviate from their shared values into its preferred paradigm. It's the social systems which build onto mere biology to create "The Patriarchy" against which some reasonably, and others unreasonably, complain.

Seeing it is like spotting a particular plant in a caucophony of foliage: at first you look at it and it's just a sea of green. But then someone picks out a single leaf or a single blossom, and points out its defining traits and its differences from nearby lookalikes, and the faculties of pattern matching grab the "nature" of the thing and suddenly you're spotting it everywhere, even catching it by its coloration or gestalt from a great distance or when passing it by at great speed. In one way that particular plant has been there all along and the only thing that changed is the viewer's perception; in another and comparably relevant way the plant was effectively absent, unfindable, unusable, until one calibrates one's capacity to pick it out.