Author Topic: O.S County Fair - Sigilcraft (Interest Check and Pilot)  (Read 478 times)

Olive

Re: O.S County Fair - Sigilcraft (Interest Check and Pilot)
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 01:26:07 am »
A lot of the more ornate sigils in this thread read more to my eye like a summoning circle or full ritual -- an amalgam of extant sub-sigils, as it were. My reservations about using such an explicitly spelled-out "program" for World in my own work are twofold:

First, the aforementioned difficulty in consistent and accurate reproduction of the sigil, especially when drawn small or as part of a larger piece.

I certainly agree! My sigils are normally quite simple and more easily reproducible. Indeed I had intended to stick to something like that before the unique circumstance which I've described here in this thread. What the vision produced was more like a mega-sigil or full ritual pattern, but I think that for this topic it is only natural that the representation unfold to reveal its many aspects. If I've overstepped the bounds of my own competition, you guys can disqualify me and I can create something simpler.

Second, I fear that spelling out everything which World is within the sigil is quite limiting: If I put each of my thoughts about World as a separate part of the sigil, then learn a new thought about World, where does the representation of that new thought go? Does it have to be a second-class part of World, compared to the ideas present at sigil creation time, when using that sigil? Or does the whole sigil have to be rewritten and redesigned to reflect the new understanding? I've rather lazily sidestepped the problem entirely by leaving mine's interpretations quite vague -- most of its meaning is tacked on to study of it, rather than intrinsic to the shape in the explicit way that a sub-sigil is.

I actually don't feel like I was very limited in doing a more complex representation. Obviously not everything I know about the world can be displayed there, but I think I managed to include a surprising amount of meaning in that layout. Don't think that it is all spelled out because of the english words, those are really just elements on the fringe of the manifested part of the design, and far from the totality of the meaning. It includes a framework of the composition of the world, and of man - as well as a perspective on their natures. Also, the life cycles of all parts of creation, moral and ethical information, even points of metaphysical significance. I don't expect all of this to be totally gleaned by the viewer but certainly I think it is worth studying with a meditative approach as you suggest, because of the density the style afforded me. Or even charged or re-created to be used as an aid for visionary experience, since it was conceived that way. The design could be slightly improved but I'm quite happy with how it came out.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:30:19 am by Olive »
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Onyx

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 02:32:20 am »
@Onyx ' submission seems to me to read perfectly for his purpose. It practically radiates cosmic balance and eternity. I'm glad a literal yin-yang symbol was not used, but the same spirit is touched upon by your interlocking variation on the theme.

I didn't really explain my contribution, but it's along the lines of that. Some symmetry, some asymmetry, etc. The push and play of things in motion. Here is an aquatint I did years ago that is more complex but similar in ways to the one I posted here. It's a visual language of sorts.

@Olive since your sigil is rather complex, I wouldn't mind reading a short explanation, but since these are personal in nature how much you choose to reveal is totally your call. Nevertheless I think this was a great idea, we should do it again in the future.

Olive

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 10:46:18 pm »
@Olive since your sigil is rather complex, I wouldn't mind reading a short explanation, but since these are personal in nature how much you choose to reveal is totally your call. Nevertheless I think this was a great idea, we should do it again in the future.

I decided to do a little video breaking down the major elements for you guys. I was going off the cuff so the presentation is pretty sloppy but I think I explained it well enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZote2kD6ew&feature=youtu.be

My comment has some important info I forgot to mention in the video

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:46:51 am by Olive »
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Onyx

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 12:57:50 am »
That was an excellent presentation @Olive. :thumbsup: I'm working on a totally different idea.

idgo

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 01:50:32 am »
@olive Thank you for the video! The one "drawback" of spending half an hour staring at your sigil is that I can no longer unsee a happy little face in it:

Onyx

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 02:50:20 am »
This one is pretty abstract also, kinda resembles a crown. I'm a little fuzzy on how to describe it but here are the various aspects:

Trapezoid - The unknown mysteries of the universe, realm of infinite possibilities.

Pentagrams - Mirror reflections of the Prince of Darkness, defining and resting upon the Trapezoid.

Pentagon - The lower four edges represent 4D space-time. The twin pentagrams force apart what would otherwise be a square, and hold the top open to maintain a connection to a 5th dimension, thus adding consciousness and self-awareness to the mundane clockwork of the natural world.

Pyramid - The intelligent and enlightened individual, supported and exalted by all the rest. It is the "crown jewel" of reality.

idgo

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 03:12:17 am »
@Onyx Nice one! Would it be out of line to request your preferred technique for geometrically constructing this one?

I got a rather delightful meditation out of trying to reverse engineer possible construction techniques. Upon extensive examination, I have concluded that my current favorite section of your sigil is what I have christened The Derpy Star:

I like it because finding the perspective from which it looks as flat and regular as its 2 friends requires a foray into imagining 4D space, from which vantage point the "whole world" of 3-space can be far more readily contemplated.

Edit: Actually the projection of infinitely recursive stars in which your sigil is drawn is an exceedingly fun space to dig for patterns in... https://imgur.com/a/MqEzBo8
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:54:24 am by idgo »