Author Topic: "The Satanic Bible" by Michael Aquino  (Read 101 times)

Frater V.I.M.

"The Satanic Bible" by Michael Aquino
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:47:45 pm »
Yeah, you read that subject line right. Aquino just released a book called "The Satanic Bible." Here it is:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/michael-aquino/the-satanic-bible/paperback/product-23757152.html

Here's what Aquino said about it in the 600Club post where he announced it:

In 1971, when Anton LaVey asked me to redo the Introduction for his Satanic Bible, he said that he was dissatisfied with the book - that it had been assembled in haste in 1968 and was not reflective of the evolving Church, and not as sophisticated as the now-companion Satanic Rituals. He wanted to take another look at it accordingly.

We didn't get around to that, however. Other projects & time preempted it. And then after the 1975 crisis, it seemed dead - not just because of our personal estrangement, but because the religious Church of Satan, around which the book was predicated, didn't exist any longer. Now the "CS" was just an ASLV fan club, and since then a commercial [atheistic] business.

I had made some personal notes over the years, and Anton's grandson Stanton LaVey asked to see them. He suggested that the idea shouldn't just fade away.

I had supposed my book-days to be over after Ghost Rides because of my failing eyesight, but I surprised myself. So, as Baron Frankenstein put it, "It's alive!"

Currently looking into other options, such as ebook. I really designed this for full-color, but as a printed paperback that had a crazy cost of about $150! By switching to B&W, I got it down to $25. In an ebook the color would be back.

Foreword by Satan, Introduction by Diane LaVey, Afterword by Stanton LaVey.

Enjoy!
"If somebody were to say ‘well, do you worship Set?’ YES. And what is Set? It is the collective phenomena of conscious existence and self-awareness. And yes we worship that. It is a wonderful, magnificent, beautiful thing.” - Dr. Aquino

Mindmaster

Re: "The Satanic Bible" by Michael Aquino
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 11:11:57 pm »
Interesting, but if anything I just think it's terrible and confusing to use that title. :D

Anyway, I also find it strange that he bothered at this juncture to write anything on Satanism because in common parlance it's just 'not his wheel house anymore'. In addition, I just think modern Satanists of any ilk really do not place much value in nostalgia. That would've, should've, could've is just isn't nearly as relevant as what is.

Needless to say, my opinion of this work is mixed if only based on the initial premise and who wrote it and why. :D As much as I hate to say the obvious, I wish he was writing more Setian focused material rather than trying to pimp his CoS-cred since I feel that if there is a body of his written work that could use another text it's that area. It leaves me thinking this book wasn't for us, but himself.

Onyx

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:06:28 am »
Ordered a copy out of curiosity, only way to know anything is to read it, thanks @Frater V.I.M.

The past is theirs, the future is mine. -Nikola Tesla

Onyx

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:15:14 am »
It leaves me thinking this book wasn't for us, but himself.

I think he explained his motivations but I'll report back when I get it in a few weeks. The difficult part is that nobody from the really old days of the Church of Satan are talking or even alive, he's kinda the only one left. Hopefully it's not all nostalgia, sometimes M.A. sneaks a lot of other stuff in, this book is like 400 pages long after all, lol. :mrgreen:
The past is theirs, the future is mine. -Nikola Tesla

NEMO 93

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 04:48:11 am »
I'm really not much for LaVey but I'm interested in this. I'm a sucker for reconstruction style post-humurous publishings as a Tolkien fan.

As Aquino mentioned Lavey's Satanism differed a lot from what is known, I'd love to see proof and what the differences are so this is quite interesting from a certain angle.

Frater Sisyphus

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:47:55 am »
I'm not interested in Satanism myself but as someone with a level of respect and intrigue in Aquino, this sounds very fascinating. I've heard Aquino speak before about how drastically different the original COS was, which has apparently gone (otherwise) not documented as well as it should've been (and in regards to it's spread globally).

I second, that it'd be cool to get your thoughts on what the book is like when you get it!
There is nothing but God (Liber AL I:21)
Nuit/Hadit
Atman/Brahman
Allah
Microcosm/Macrocosm

Mindmaster

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 11:58:31 pm »
It leaves me thinking this book wasn't for us, but himself.

I think he explained his motivations but I'll report back when I get it in a few weeks. The difficult part is that nobody from the really old days of the Church of Satan are talking or even alive, he's kinda the only one left. Hopefully it's not all nostalgia, sometimes M.A. sneaks a lot of other stuff in, this book is like 400 pages long after all, lol. :mrgreen:

I truly hope I'm wrong actually... :D

Unfortunately, I'm over in the spirit world and not doing a lot of reading outside of what's on task. I'll undoubtedly get over it and be curious like a cat.  8)

Xepera maSet

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 01:59:23 am »
Exciting! I asked and it will be coming to Amazon soon, he hasn't looked at the formatting and such yet.

NEMO 93

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:52 am »
I just went ahead and ordered a copy out of sheer curiosity. I'm excited to read it.

I'm hoping it's more Aquino's thoughts than Lavey's...