Author Topic: Origin of Lucifer  (Read 419 times)

crossfire

Re: Origin of Lucifer
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 07:01:22 am »
Hekate (here with Hermes, Persephone, & Demeter) is a moon goddess holding her two torches--one for the Morning Star and one for the Evening Star:

Cool stuff. I do find it a little odd to call Venus the torch of the moon, since she is so much more strongly linked to the motions of the Sun. I'm not sure exactly when your image was created, but apparently there was a time in Greek culture when the twin aspects of the morning star and the evening star had not yet been reconciled as one entity - the luminary Venus. I sort of see a connection to this in the representation of the two torches.
You can see the development of Hekate as the triple moon goddess in this statue from the Lourve Museum:  caption:

English: The Moon-goddess Selene or Luna accompanied by the Dioscuri, or Phosphoros (the Morning Star) and Hesperos (the Evening Star). Marble altar, Roman artwork, 2nd century CE. From Italy.

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

Liu

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 06:33:24 pm »
The Dioscuri equated to Phosphoros and Hesperos? Now that's new to me, I wonder how the writer of that statue explanation came up with it. I don't know whether it's wrong, I just never heard of that equation before. I see some smallish parallels between them, though, so there might be something to it. Any further information?

crossfire

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 09:05:56 pm »
The Dioscuri equated to Phosphoros and Hesperos? Now that's new to me, I wonder how the writer of that statue explanation came up with it. I don't know whether it's wrong, I just never heard of that equation before. I see some smallish parallels between them, though, so there might be something to it. Any further information?
Castor and Pollux as the Morning Star and the Evening Star:  One was always in the underworld (not seen) while the other was in the heavens (visible sky.)  Both were associated with horses:  the Morning Star driving the horses pulling the chariot of the Sun, and the Evening Star driving the horses pulling the Chariot of the Moon.
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

Liu

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 10:52:19 am »
Castor and Pollux as the Morning Star and the Evening Star:  One was always in the underworld (not seen) while the other was in the heavens (visible sky.)  Both were associated with horses:  the Morning Star driving the horses pulling the chariot of the Sun, and the Evening Star driving the horses pulling the Chariot of the Moon.
Yes, thanks, that's basically the parallels I also noticed, but I have no idea whether they were already equated in antiquity.