Author Topic: Philosophy of Grant Morrison  (Read 307 times)

NEMO 93

Philosophy of Grant Morrison
« on: July 20, 2018, 09:15:37 am »
Great video explaining the occult philosophy of one of my favorite comic book writers.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: Philosophy of Grant Morrison
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 02:17:50 pm »
Bump

"My step is great, that I may traverse the sky."
- The Pyramid Texts

morph8hprom

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:28:52 pm »
I'm actually a really big fan of The Invisibles.  I remember it happened in a pretty weird way.  I just happened to be skimming torrent sites for comics, because why not, and one with a ton of seeds was The Invisibles.  I had never heard of it before, but the name stood out and after reading the brief description I was 100% down.  So I snagged it and a few others, got a comic book reader, and started at it.  About a year later I still hadn't quite finished it.  Odd things were happening whenever I would read it, strange little serendipitous references in everyday life mostly.  Later I read some articles talking about it being a hypersigil and how it's not uncommon for odd things to happen while reading it, so that made sense.

Once I made it to the final section though, things started breaking apart I guess?  It became really hard to follow and it was like I was just trudging through it because I absolutely had to finish it.  I still don't think I fully understand the ending, and I haven't made the trek back through it..though I plan to eventually.  All in all Morrison's art style is amazing and his writing is just as good if not better.  Very mindblowing read from an amazing artist.

This video appears to be a story from Sacha Baron Cohen about Liam Gallagher though >.>  not sure that was intentional?

NEMO 93

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 10:29:11 am »
I probably copy/pasted too late when auto-play went to the next video.  :facepalm:

Here's the video proper.

Invisibles' ending is complicated as first but John-A-Dreams is a key to understanding it. It's also a part of a Hypersigil trilogy with Flex Mentallo and The Filth and they all sort of complete each other thematically.

morph8hprom

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 05:05:36 pm »
So you're saying I need to read two other series to fully understand it?  Because I'm 100% down, I just have to find the PDFs  or CBRs somehow.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:00:47 pm by morph8hprom »

morph8hprom

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 06:02:40 pm »
I also took the time to read wiki entries on the various comics and realized that I was mistaken about him illustrating it, which isn't that big of a deal.  The whole series is still phenomenal regardless of who drew it.

NEMO 93

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 10:31:41 pm »
It helps greatly thematically. Maybe re-read the series too. The order should be Flex Mentallo-Invisibles-The Filth. Even though Flex Mentallo came out last.

Flex Mentallo was him elaborating on fiction suits and hypersigils, which honestly sheds light on the way Invisibles works as a hypersigil and why synchronicities happen. It depends on what character you access the story from.

At the end of Invisibles, Morrison realized him and his "enemies" are pretty much the same so created The Filth as an inoculation against The Abyss.

I'm very hesitant to recommend actually doing this to people who practice chaos magic or believe in the occult though because it can be very intense and reckless, especially The Filth.

Invisibles had a wide range of illustrators, if I remember correctly. I would check out a lot of Vertigo's other books at the time (early 90's) if you liked those artists.

morph8hprom

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 01:06:17 pm »
After reading the summary of The Filth and from your description of the transition, I imagine it's a wild ride.  Fortunately (or not) for me it was relatively easy to find.  Flex Mentallo however, I'm not having so much luck.
I fully intend to take this journey.  If things are too crazy, maybe I'll be aware enough to bail.

Olive

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 03:50:25 pm »
Extremely interested in going on this journey now as well. I'm a huge fan of comics and webcomics - I'm surprised I've never touched on these before. Just in theory alone it seems that a comic would be an extremely effective way to communicate certain occult and spiritual principles.
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

morph8hprom

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 12:01:55 am »
Found Flex Mentallo pretty easily, though I don't really like reading online I will since I don't have much other choice that I've found (yet)
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Flex-Mentallo

If anyone is interested I can upload the full Invisibles to Google Drive or something, but you need a CBR reader for the files.

EDIT: Forgot to add the link

Down the rabbit hole I go then

NEMO 93

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 06:42:30 am »
Oh boy, look what I started.

@Olive Comics are an incredible way to convey occult truths and perspectives. With the hypersigil trilogy, keep in mind it was a young Grant Morrison, a punk, pushing boundaries in both art and occultism so it's a bit reckless and got a certain fool-hardy approach I think a lot of us can relate to/remember when we started out. It's a great place to start and you'll see a lot of clever ways of portraying his truths but it still sort of, getting lost.

Morrison's peak in accurately conveying occult perspectives, I would say, is Final Crisis, Multiversity, All-Star Superman, and Nameless. Those years are great and even when he dials it down for something like a family christmas comic like Klaus, it shows one of the best depictions I've seen of shamanism. But with all those, you sort of have to know what you're looking for to see it there. He wrote a Superman story as a solar hymn and it can be quite obvious if you are aware of that sort of thing, but in otherwise it's his truth put into a Superman story and might come off just as that.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman and Books of Magic are also great reading, as is a bit of early Alan Moore. If you use facebook, Pop Shaman regularly posts screenshots from comics with occult lessons and someone will give a source if asked.

What makes the hypersigil trilogy so ambitious, and amazing, is that he literally pioneered and explored how hypersigils work, and how to interact with fiction. Not only that, but he experienced his "enlightenment" at Katmandu during Invisibles and wrote into the story as an alien abduction and that whole series his him trying to come to terms with it's lessons and communicate it and real time, and The Filth was his way of dealing with his trauma in context of his "enlightenment'. And all these themes in his early work would carry on to make a consistent world-view of comics in all his work, and this leads to the whole hypercrisis theories I don't have energy to delve into tonight, but it very interesting if want to view comics and magic together.

Oh! Promethea is Alan Moore's only -explicitly- magical book while his other early work contains themes, Promethea reads like occultism 101 in comic book form.