Author Topic: On the question of if CoS is LHP:  (Read 295 times)

Xepera maSet

On the question of if CoS is LHP:
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:17:55 pm »
I just read this in one of Mr. Gilmore's articles and found it rather finalizing. He states:

"Satanists view themselves as animals who are part of Nature (7th Satanic Statement: “Satan represents man as just another animal,...” ), and see any concept positing something existing outside of nature as being a spiritual delusion."

I don't think I've seen many quotes so blatantly un-LHP and pro-RHP. First, anyone who disagrees is assumed to be delusional or "bad." Second, LaVeyan Satanism goes out of it's way to DEBASE things like human consciousness and will, which it entirely RHP. Not to mention we see him upholding the statements like you'd expect in Catholic Church. With Gilmore himself saying this, and all the love to my CoS friends in the world, I have to say this kind of conclusively settles the debate.

Kapalika

Re: On the question of if CoS is LHP:
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 03:48:16 am »
I didn't know there was any debate. I don't think we can equate dogma with not being LHP and there is a strong case to argue that tradition has historically been part of the LHP both ancient and modern.

From two strict points of view, LHP is either individualism which treads taboos without tradition, or on the other coin that but embracing a dark heterodoxy, so all of that but accepting tradition as part of the LHP.

I don't see why the CoS wouldn't be in the latter.

As for the former, eventually someone doing something long enough makes it a tradition. It's kind of inevitable. So I default to the latter.

The question of the nature of consciousness, and of the "stuffs" of the Universe, material, mental, whatever, is a question of belief and so isn't pertinent to whether someone is LHP or not.

Left Hand Path beliefs have always been all over the map and that's still true of Satanism, Setian ect evcen today. I don't think there is anything meaningful in qualifying if someone is RHP or LHP based on belief.

If we all believed the same thing then the LHP wouldn't be very individualistic.
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Liu

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 03:37:09 pm »
You beat me to it, @Kapalika. Full agreement.

Except for one point which I would like to elaborate on a bit more:

Second, LaVeyan Satanism goes out of it's way to DEBASE things like human consciousness and will, which it entirely RHP. Not to mention we see him upholding the statements like you'd expect in Catholic Church. With Gilmore himself saying this, and all the love to my CoS friends in the world, I have to say this kind of conclusively settles the debate.
Saying consciousness and will is a part of nature is not debasing it, and if they thereby say that everything that exists is a part of nature, then it logically follows that it's a delusion to believe in something that is not part of nature since it then per definition doesn't exist.
So, from that statement by Gilmore itself I wouldn't draw any conclusions on it being RHPy.

But from how he states it, namely as a dogma, and from how dogmatically the CoS behaves in general, that could be considered RHP by some definitions in that it seems to stifle individuality.

king_gimpy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 03:22:07 pm »
I'm new to the subject of LHP vs RHP and still learning myself, so I can't say on that regard. However I can say that while The CoS and the Satanic Bible got me started on Satanism and thus TSB will always be an important read to me, I quickly outgrew them. In fact, I can't stand the CoS.

I dislike Gilmore and I think he's a coward, as he hides and shuts his door if they ever get any negative attention. They haven't done anything noteworth in ages and their followers seem to be more of a masturbatory cult of ego at this point, who over inflate their modern influence.

I'm not the biggest fan of atheistic Satanism, but my best friend is one, and if I had to choose The Satanic Temple have easily usurped the CoS when it comes to being out there with Satanism and fighting Christian ideals, even if they can be kinda "edgelords," about it.

Whenever I encounter LaVeyan's they're just stroking their own ego by claiming they are the only TRUE SATANISTS™ since LaVey invented Satanism and defined it. Oh and if you believe in an actual Satan you're insane.

They also are pretty dogmatic about adoration of Anton, something I think he'd despise.

Mindmaster

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 09:57:24 pm »
I just read this in one of Mr. Gilmore's articles and found it rather finalizing. He states:

"Satanists view themselves as animals who are part of Nature (7th Satanic Statement: “Satan represents man as just another animal,...” ), and see any concept positing something existing outside of nature as being a spiritual delusion."

I don't think I've seen many quotes so blatantly un-LHP and pro-RHP. First, anyone who disagrees is assumed to be delusional or "bad." Second, LaVeyan Satanism goes out of it's way to DEBASE things like human consciousness and will, which it entirely RHP. Not to mention we see him upholding the statements like you'd expect in Catholic Church. With Gilmore himself saying this, and all the love to my CoS friends in the world, I have to say this kind of conclusively settles the debate.

I've never particularly seen the CoS as a LHP group because it pretty much is RHP in practice. If you challenge any of the basic assertions in TSB you probably aren't gonna make any friends over there. :D

I've always considered TSB an important book, but I consider it the rookie level of LHP philosophy. As you go along you find things to argue against and have experiences which contradict the material. If something is true in an absolute sense, it cannot be contradicted. So, that's where I am basically these days...

As I moved toward theism I found even less and less value to it. I didn't cultivate my theism as a desire, but it evolved naturally through my experience. I started as a regular old atheistic Satanist back in the day, but it didn't have answers for the things happening around me. Anytime something doesn't line up with the model it's the model that's bad... I've never actively sought those experiences, mind you, they just happened spontaneously. So, by TSB standards I am no Satanist even though Satan is the most important guy to me. :)