Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 16832 times)

Km Anu

Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2020, 10:11:42 am »
Drawing :/

I've been trying to touch up my skills with physical mediums. I've been doing a lot of digital work lately.

Onyx

« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2020, 01:56:26 pm »
In my opinion, creativity is an essential aspect of the Black Flame.

Km Anu

« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2020, 02:36:26 pm »
Lately I'm learning that it's my primary language.

Deidre

« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2020, 11:53:59 pm »
How have you all been??? It's been ages since I've been on here and thought I'd change that.

The pandemic, what a crazy thing. What are your views on masks? I don't mind wearing mine, in a way, I find it mysterious.  :rolleyes:
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

Liu

« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2020, 10:27:24 am »
Welcome back ^^
Kapalika opened a thread on that (well not on the masks, on the general situation):
http://orderoftheserpent.org/forum/index.php?topic=1628.0

I don't mind the masks much, we only have to wear them when shopping, in public transport, and at the doctor's, so it's not too much of a hassle. I find them a bit uncomfortable (to warm and muggy) - well perhaps I should get a proper mask, currently using a kind of scarf - but as I only have to use it once or twice a week it's fine.
And yes, they also have advantages - for example people don't see whether one has shaven recently xD

Olive

« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2020, 03:04:47 pm »
@Deidre   I am well. It's been a long year indeed - I hope everyone else is hanging in there. I think the masks are an interesting development in the whole situation. My area has not been severely impacted by the virus thus far nor have any shut-in laws been strongly enforced, however people still began wearing masks and bandanas of their own accord within the last month or so. A few observations about this behavior here in the southeast: Many people wear their masks ineffectually, with their noses exposed; a large portion of people never wore masks even during the height of the panic; sometimes couples are seen in public with only one partner of the two wearing a mask - very often it is only the women who do. This last thing calls to my mind the Niqab style of islamic headdressing - it is really quite peculiar to see. I won't complain about the habit. I think it can slightly reduce the transmission risk for everyone, though it is clearly more of a social signal than anything. If the mask sticks around for a while I think we could see some more interesting pieces in terms of fashion start to appear which meet the social requirement of a mask.

I have a mask myself, but I've only worn it a few times to big public spaces. I go out very infrequently. I think that and good hygiene are of more protective value than trying to filter the air breathed. I was considering that approach back in January and February when I was following the emergence, but most real effective masks had been bought up already at that point. I have only seen one N95 mask in person so far. Have things been different for you all? I do live in an impoverished area of the country so my observations may not generalize well at all.

I notice that while it seems that most people are willing to wear masks, most people are NOT willing or able to follow social distancing protocols seriously. Nor are they willing to obey explicit authoritative directions such as which way to walk down an aisle. I did not even notice such instructions for long because I pay so little heed to the advertisements which cover every other surface of notice in the stores. I do think all this makes a big statement about the effectuality of America's leadership and infrastructure. Some of the "protective measures" I have seen even in my small town are downright bizarre and surreal. Any aspiring photographer has had a wonderful opportunity to catch some very strange business on film.

Best wishes to all.
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Mindmaster

« Reply #216 on: May 20, 2020, 05:26:10 pm »
How have you all been??? It's been ages since I've been on here and thought I'd change that.

The pandemic, what a crazy thing. What are your views on masks? I don't mind wearing mine, in a way, I find it mysterious.  :rolleyes:

I don't buy the hype, but that's because I'm a numbers guy. My numbers say this is less severe than a typical flu, no doubt someone disagrees, but can it. Being one of the oldest folks on here I am not even old enough to worry about it, and you kids certainly have less to worry about than I do. (I'm just picking on you all a bit... youth is rarely appreciated and this is certainly a time where it is valuable.  ;))

Mask use isn't optional where I live, so you have wear one in public with no choice. Not that you can buy one at the store or anything, lol. People are just scrapping together whatever they can use to cover their face and that's got nothing to do with medicine or prevention... So, as usual, I'll reject the act because it's nonsense.

My theory is simply that the Karen's want to wear masks because they feel ugly and get to hide their faces all day.  :mrgreen:

Liu

« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2020, 06:16:05 pm »
Well from what I read, even some random cloth already does at least half the protection as the medical ones, and reducing risk by 50% seems not too bad.

And yeah regarding symptoms it's often not that bad compared to a flu, just, it's much more contagious based on the numbers I read. Haven't read that much on it, though, I'm possibly the least-informed person around as everyone else seems to be addicted to getting the latest news on covid whereas I just read about it whenever someone truly recommends me some article or I have a clear reason why (like knowing the current regulations in town).

Onyx

« Reply #218 on: May 23, 2020, 02:23:11 pm »
Quote from: Mindmaster
My theory is simply that the Karen's want to wear masks because they feel ugly and get to hide their faces all day.  :mrgreen:

ROFL

idgo

« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2020, 03:10:02 pm »
What are your views on masks?

Fashion-wise, I consider masks one of the only really novel revolutions that's happened so far in my lifetime. Honestly an n95 is pretty fucking metal, like:  "no, I shall not breathe in whatever you breathed out, you may try to contaminate me with your filth but I forbid it". So, I'm rather enjoying it. The sudden mainstreaming of masks, and our proximity to the post-apocalyptic/wasteland cultural aesthetic, have made it worth my while to put a bit more effort than before into my appearance on the rare occasion that I go out.

Additionally, the prevalence of masks forces me to give away less information about myself to strangers -- I have a little more control who knows how much about who I am, and I think that's a step in the right direction. Then again I consider the anonymity of communication through text online as a gold standard in these matters, so my evaluation of "better" reflects change in a direction that not all would necessarily prefer.

Olive

« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2020, 03:33:44 pm »
I'm watching Hellier, which seems to be part of a mass initiation  :o I've had a lot of synchros myself linked to aspects of the show weirdly enough but only heard about it this week....

I checked out this show over the last few days based on this recommendation. I really enjoyed the setup and the first few episodes. I was hoping that it would keep the tension going and start incorporating increasingly scary elements into the established realism of the show, similar to the original production of Marble Hornets. But instead it felt like it lost all momentum. The characters just sorta meander for a few episodes. They spend a lot of time questioning their own purpose and understanding, and very little actually investigating the hinted phenomena with boots on the ground. I appreciated the introduction to the Gantzfeld experiment, remote listening, and the concept of a synchronicity; perhaps this is what you meant by calling it an initiation. The communal and positive attitude the characters show about these experiments does something to humanize what we do as practitioners, but so little is delivered that it raises questions about the efficacy of the practices shown. It doesn't help that the camerawork and editing remains entirely skeptical throughout most sections of intrigue. It goes out of its way to show us multiple false alarms of panic during every experiment, and provides subtitles for "heard words" that are themselves not audible in the film. The editing itself is not very charitable to our characters; we spend a long time watching them look and feel dissatisfied with what is presented as the main work of the show, while never really seeming to get a chance to say what they mean; while at the same time, long distorted industrial sounds drone over sections that seem pretty normal otherwise. More hinting at a spookiness that they are not ready to deliver on.

The passé treatment of tarot was to be expected, but it remains disappointing. Ultimately my biggest gripe is that we did not see one original piece of art of the goblins outside of the title card. They never show up. I was bored to tears during the last episode of season one. Watching them spend over 20 minutes wrapping up and talking about nothing much felt like a slap in the face after the monster story they spent the first few episodes setting up petered out without fanfare. I do wish that if they had so little original content, they would have leaned harder into educating about the existing material concerning the occult and the UFO/Cryptid world, or even just telling us a few more yarns of interest.

The characters seem to believe "the preternatural has touched my life and many others, is a real phenomena worth studying and engaging with. Possibly it has the power to change the world in significant ways."

But the camera seems to say "people are dumb panicky animals who frighten themselves with their own ideas and negotiate with the unknown through unreliable methods."

Which is... fine. But it's just a little weak in this day and age when so many raw artistic expressions of the occult experience are coming through even in popular media. Is there any hope for season 2 turning up and changing my opinion? I saw that the last episode is called the Night of Pan - that sounds nice. I wonder if there is any content behind that banner? Probably I won't stick it out long enough to see.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:36:04 pm by Olive »
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Liu

« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2020, 05:27:56 pm »
Fashion-wise, I consider masks one of the only really novel revolutions that's happened so far in my lifetime. Honestly an n95 is pretty fucking metal, like:  "no, I shall not breathe in whatever you breathed out, you may try to contaminate me with your filth but I forbid it". So, I'm rather enjoying it. The sudden mainstreaming of masks, and our proximity to the post-apocalyptic/wasteland cultural aesthetic, have made it worth my while to put a bit more effort than before into my appearance on the rare occasion that I go out.

Additionally, the prevalence of masks forces me to give away less information about myself to strangers -- I have a little more control who knows how much about who I am, and I think that's a step in the right direction. Then again I consider the anonymity of communication through text online as a gold standard in these matters, so my evaluation of "better" reflects change in a direction that not all would necessarily prefer.
Well masks mainly catch stuff in your own breath and stop it from getting into the general air, they are less effective in stopping you from breathing in whatever someone not wearing a mask exhaled. Or so I read.

But otherwise, I very much agree. We actually have a law against covering your face at public events (soccer games, demonstrations,...), so it's fun that these new rules prescribe the opposite. Nothing like going shopping with your face covered as if you were about to rob the store ;)

Liu

« Reply #222 on: May 23, 2020, 05:32:30 pm »

ROFL
That's actually the reason why many Asian women wear masks that often, already before Covid. At least according to a female Asian colleague of mine.

Mindmaster

« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2020, 12:14:04 am »

ROFL
That's actually the reason why many Asian women wear masks that often, already before Covid. At least according to a female Asian colleague of mine.

I'm fine with them wearing it if they want to... I just don't like people being forced to do anything unless someone calls a vote. :D

idgo

« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2020, 05:07:49 am »
Well masks mainly catch stuff in your own breath and stop it from getting into the general air, they are less effective in stopping you from breathing in whatever someone not wearing a mask exhaled. Or so I read.

That is a correct description of cloth masks. n95 and up make a nontrivial impact on what you're inhaling as well. Since restrictions started lifting in my area, I've been choosing n95 whenever I go somewhere that unmasked people will be, and cloth around individuals whom I know to be uninfected but whom I would not wish to infect in the unlikely event that I might be infected but asymptomatic. n95s with proper sterile procedure, and even mask reuse, are the current PPE guidelines for medical personnel in my area dealing with infected patients, so I consider them adequate as a civilian.

I had a variety of n95s on hand to choose from, apparently due to my hobbies of predicting possible futures and tinkering with probabilities of desirable outcomes. But causality is of course a slippery thing to talk about in the realms of good and bad fortune.