Author Topic: Why a black candle? (and other questions)  (Read 2701 times)

Deidre

Why a black candle? (and other questions)
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:37:39 am »
I joined a spells forum today, and one of the banishing spells that I'm interested in requires a black candle. I'm just wondering the significance of that as compared to any other color, for such a spell?

Also, where do you buy your materials for your spells, rituals, etc?

"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

NEMO 93

Re: Why a black candle? (and other questions)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:41:20 am »
It depends on your personal associtions. I know black magick often uses a black candle in the Setian tradition.

But most commonly, I use and see planetary associations used. Saturn=black, Jupiter=blue, Mars=red, Sun=Yellow, Venus=Green, Mercury=Orange. Or you could do elemental, in which case green or black is often used for earth.

If it's banishing a specific person, thing, or influence this definitely seems like an influence ruled by Saturn.

Deidre

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:46:43 am »
It depends on your personal associtions. I know black magick often uses a black candle in the Setian tradition.

But most commonly, I use and see planetary associations used. Saturn=black, Jupiter=blue, Mars=red, Sun=Yellow, Venus=Green, Mercury=Orange. Or you could do elemental, in which case green or black is often used for earth.

If it's banishing a specific person, thing, or influence this definitely seems like an influence ruled by Saturn.

Okay, that makes sense. There wasn't an explanation as to why a black candle is necessary. It also suggests banishing oil, I'm not sure where to buy this. I could also do the burning paper banishing spell with the black candle, this particular spell is a little more elaborate. I hesitate to do any spells that require too much from me just yet, as I'm new to this, and I've been reading about warnings, to be careful to not take on too much too soon. I don't want to do something to harm anyone, or myself. 

How did you learn about all of this? Did it take you a long time?

Deidre

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:58:23 am »
Okay, so listen to this. I posted a question about how often to perform the same spell for let's say, a recurring issue? So, like I have a boss who one day is awesome, and then he can be a jerk for days. I, as well as the rest of my team, are tired of dealing with his up and down drama. And it's bringing the team down, and making everyone negative. Well, no one can MAKE you negative, but you know what I mean.

So, I posted the question on the spells forum and one of the members replied something I hadn't thought about, honestly. She said that it's hard to tell where all the negative energy is coming from, he could be depressed, or sad, or lonely, or a number of things. A spell won't change the person, but I could perform the spell a number of times if necessary to rid the area of the negativity.

Idk, I just thought that was insightful.

NEMO 93

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:30:11 am »
I've been practicing chaos magick for about 4 or 5 years now? It's basically all ingrained into my brain as much as 2+2=4 is at this point but I always learn new stuff every day. I highly recommend Liber Null & Psychonaut for the basics of spells and rituals from there you can put together your own, you just need to know associations. I use Liber 777 and Cunningham's Guide to Crystals and Herbs(two seperate volumes) for mine. I'm really wanting Stephen Skinner's Complete Magician Tables.

I will perform stuff straight out a grimoire, more or less, if it's a complete existing system like goetic evocation or a program like Seven Spheres. Not sure what banishing oil is but I've found it on Amazon and some other online stores. I prefer ETSY for my spell ingredients like that. Here's what appears to be a recipe:

http://spiritinfo.blogspot.com/2016/10/about-making-your-own-oils-starting.html

I usually tend to make my own spells out of a guide of existing knowledge and intuition. For example, if I wanted to block someone I'd probably construct a fetish of them (making a sigil to represent them and put it on a paper representing them), do a ritual to bind the sigil to them. I'd probably tie the sigil to a rock(because it corresponds with the myth of banishment of Loki in my mind), use a black candle during the ritual, charge it somehow- pins seem to be common in voodoo and even dates back to greco magico papyri but I prefer wands, it's less voilent, probably put it in a jar with some more banishing or saturnian associations- this is where intuition comes in- too much saturn may cause a violent manifestation but banishing might just banish the spell from working. So with this considering I recreated a banishment, I'd probably do it in the day and hour of saturn and just use banishment oil and sage then throw it in a river going away from my house That's if I wanted to make a big ordeal out of it, some of the most effective spells have been as simple as just declaring intent in mind and letting go of it without any sigilization or ritual. Hell, you could just concetrate on the rock symbolizing the boss and then throw it in river leading away from your house with all the busy work. It all depends on one's personal style. It's called an art for a reason, you have to find what personally resonates with you and expresses yourself both generally and in that moment with that intent.

I basically had to learn to make all my own spells before I ever got access to grimoires, I'm pretty sure spells can effect others but to varying degrees. I don't think you can magickally make him happier but I think you can make his interactions with your team run more smoothly. I find personal responsiblity plays a big role in one's life, if you're doing spells to help someone the most you can do is give them a kick in the ass. But that's my own speculation and I could list 20 alternative theories to how spells work so don't take my word for it, find your own truth for yourself!

As for about how long it took me to learn all of this? Eh, about a year and a half tops. I did a a full round of planetary initiations to know what the effects are and cast spells using the planetary associations, as well as practicing the basics from Liber Null & Psychonaut. That's probably about all I ever needed, the rest of it has been hopping around from paradigm to paradigm to try to refine my magickal style and make it stronger while also benefitting personal growth of this kind of path.

Deidre

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 03:38:44 am »
Thank youuu! Wow, that is a lot of great info.

It's funny you mention a sigil. I read about that last night, and it mystifies me. I don't quite get the necessity, or the purpose, just yet.

I find that I'm drawn to the simplicity of certain spells. For now, it's different for me, just the visualization part of things, and the bringing forth of my passionate intent. In prayer life, sometimes, I've been very passive when bringing my intents to God. I find that spell casting and binding, could free me from my passivity.

NEMO 93

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 03:49:14 am »
Sigils are over-rated in my personal experience, I find traditional hoodoo methods like name on paper as you mentioned way more effective. That said, they do have their place. I'll sometimes use them as smaller parts in a bigger ritual. I actually have some expiriments I need to do with Lucid Dreaming and Sigils.

It's more to make a glyph that completely represents your own intent, rather than using someone elses. That's a really great attitude to have, in my experience I find passion can really break or make a spell. To me, magick is all about expressing yourself to your fullest in accepted times of spell-craft or ritual and entering a dialogue with the universe which will either deliver your intent or lead you on a synchronicity trail. A++ for visualization, one of the most important parts of a spell. It took me a while to figure that one out.

Deidre

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 04:07:40 am »
I looove the paper representation. I like burning the paper to represent what I'm to visualize happening in my life. Perhaps because it's my very first spell that I used the paper burning  :D Idk. but, it's simply and effective. I think that it could be too over the top, like prayer life. If you complicate it, you might get lost in the translation. lol

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. :)

pi_rameses

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 05:31:50 pm »
Okay, so listen to this. I posted a question about how often to perform the same spell for let's say, a recurring issue? So, like I have a boss who one day is awesome, and then he can be a jerk for days. I, as well as the rest of my team, are tired of dealing with his up and down drama. And it's bringing the team down, and making everyone negative. Well, no one can MAKE you negative, but you know what I mean.

So, I posted the question on the spells forum and one of the members replied something I hadn't thought about, honestly. She said that it's hard to tell where all the negative energy is coming from, he could be depressed, or sad, or lonely, or a number of things. A spell won't change the person, but I could perform the spell a number of times if necessary to rid the area of the negativity.

Idk, I just thought that was insightful.

This user is correct. The spell would not negate the root cause underpinning the boss's behavior. But if that's all you need, then I suppose that's all you need. Completely up to you. Also up to the boss to change or not. At the very least, you are acknowledging that the thoughts of others can potentially influence others. You are pointing it from your mind into the world: specifically your target.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:39:22 pm by pi_rameses »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 05:38:59 pm »
Do you own 777 by Crowley? It's massive correspondence tables including things like candles. So you could basically look up "black candle" and see every God, ideas, symbol, etc associated with it. Sure it's a work of extreme synchronism so not necessarily objective fact, but it's very helpful for spellwork type magic that utilizes things like that.

NEMO 93

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 06:04:19 pm »
@Deidre  From my experience, it is the emotion and intent that matters soley- the rest is window dressing to move your statement of intent into the realms of the subconcious so it is not actively on your mind while performing the ritual.

Deidre

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 01:21:45 am »
@Deidre  From my experience, it is the emotion and intent that matters soley- the rest is window dressing to move your statement of intent into the realms of the subconcious so it is not actively on your mind while performing the ritual.

I'm starting to see that. I think that what the spell binding actually does for the caster, is to get you readied to change. Or for change. Change in self, even. I have been thinking about spells before this, as something that happens outside of ourselves, but in the casting, we change, too. I felt empowered from the spell last week, and even incantations without using items, over the past couple of days, I have a different state of mind. It's pretty cool!  ;)

NEMO 93

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 02:50:28 am »
@Deidre The best acts of magick are always ones that bring personal internal change, in my experience. I've had some times that were rough as a result but it's gotten me where I needed to be. The ones that cause external change are really fun too and serve as a reminer that it works, that you're not just surrounding yourself in a bubble, and to help you think what you really want out of life. A mix of both is always healthy. It does go a long way and giving you a positive attitude about growth and change, either way.

You should read Low Magick by Lon Milo DuQuette if you ever get a chance! He goes on about how he views it as internal change and tells a few stories about times he practiced magick and lessons he learned. He seems to write a lot of his books with beginners in mind but he knows his stuff. My friend and I love him because it loses the pretentiousness of a lot of other writers- he knows to have fun with it and not take it too seriously. Probably the closest to how my occultist friends and I talk about magick irl.

Deidre

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 04:16:05 am »
@Deidre The best acts of magick are always ones that bring personal internal change, in my experience. I've had some times that were rough as a result but it's gotten me where I needed to be. The ones that cause external change are really fun too and serve as a reminer that it works, that you're not just surrounding yourself in a bubble, and to help you think what you really want out of life. A mix of both is always healthy. It does go a long way and giving you a positive attitude about growth and change, either way.

You should read Low Magick by Lon Milo DuQuette if you ever get a chance! He goes on about how he views it as internal change and tells a few stories about times he practiced magick and lessons he learned. He seems to write a lot of his books with beginners in mind but he knows his stuff. My friend and I love him because it loses the pretentiousness of a lot of other writers- he knows to have fun with it and not take it too seriously. Probably the closest to how my occultist friends and I talk about magick irl.

I will check it out. Just this one spell, and a few incantations without items used or ''ingredients,'' I feel myself changing. My perspective. I'm calmer. Not that I'm all that high strung to begin with, but the stress over my work situation was taking over my mind, my life...it was terrible. And I realize that it was my fault that I let my thinking become so polluted with my boss' negativity, but still. lol It's not easy to find ways to make it stop. Prayer would help, but in a somewhat passive way. I think calling upon God in that spell, caused me to be more aware of what I'm asking...what I'm doing...what I'm ''intending.''

My boss was called into HR today, and he was finally called out for the bad behaviors he's done. I never thought that would happen. I cast a simple banishing spell, and it was to banish his negativity, and it worked. What I've read about spells too is that it's important to note that fate, the universe, God, however you view things...it's always at play, and when we cast spells, the energy could change in a different direction, because our intentions change. It's fascinating to me!

Oh, I read that black candles are good for ''break through'' spells...like maybe you're struggling with something, and can't break through, or overcome an obstacle.

pi_rameses

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 07:40:36 am »
 :mrgreen: You've gone and done it this time. Rejoice! Well done! Proud of you @Deidre  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:46:33 am by pi_rameses »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare