Author Topic: Would you follow a Satan similar to the one from christian mythos?  (Read 3726 times)

Etu Malku

Re: Would you follow a Satan similar to the one from christian mythos?
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2019, 08:48:03 pm »
And if you are having clinical depression you might benefit from some professional help for that.
No, it's an old foe called paranoid schizophrenia. Thanks for your overall consideration, though. No amount of philosophical argumentation has convinced proponents of my classification otherwise.
I just mentioned a book on synchronicity that also discusses how it relates to paranoia and schizophrenia: http://orderoftheserpent.org/forum/index.php?topic=96.msg10172#msg10172
If you are unhappy with your situation, it might help you to give it a read - I don't know you well enough to know whether it will help, but perhaps it will as it might help you to open up to how you can interpret your experiences in ways more beneficial for yourself.

Being that Platonic means: "(of love or friendship) intimate and affectionate but not sexual." I wouldn't say that H☿D is Platonic.
You might want to re-read your previous post, you used the term "platonic" there in a different meaning, talking about Lucifer's "Platonic First Form".
No, you are confusing this entirely. A Platonic First Form is a concept introduced by Plato, by using the word 'Platonic' I am referring to the First Forms as they originated from Plato. Nothing to do with the much much later correlation to a relationship called 'platonic'.
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Liu

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2019, 05:03:03 am »
No, you are confusing this entirely. A Platonic First Form is a concept introduced by Plato, by using the word 'Platonic' I am referring to the First Forms as they originated from Plato. Nothing to do with the much much later correlation to a relationship called 'platonic'.
That's what I was saying - you seemed to be misunderstanding Xepera's post in the same way that you think I would have misunderstood yours.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:38:31 am by Liu »

Etu Malku

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2019, 07:02:47 pm »
 :facepalm: Liu . . . my reply with the second definition of 'Platonic' was a jest. Do you really think I could write what I did about First Forms and not comprehend what 'Platonic' means?
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Liu

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2019, 05:40:04 am »
:facepalm: Liu . . . my reply with the second definition of 'Platonic' was a jest. Do you really think I could write what I did about First Forms and not comprehend what 'Platonic' means?
Thanks for clarifying. I guess some variation of Poe's law applies ^^"
I was assuming that you do know the meaning but that you hadn't remembered that you used the term in your post.
Emoticons would have helped. Also, perhaps joke more frequently, because saying things in jest is not a habit I associate with you.

Km Anu

• O.S. Member
  • Never will his wrath or might extort from me
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2019, 06:22:52 pm »
I thought Etu's joke was funny  :P

Williams1001

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2019, 12:14:01 am »
jehovah has killed more people in the bible than satan and satan has never killed anyone. so i would rather follow satan than jehovah.

Etu Malku

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2019, 01:58:51 am »
Yahweh is a northern Arabian god of war, worshiped by Semitic tribes. As the God of Israel Yahweh becomes its leader and champion in war. However, the Hebrew root HYH/HWH from which Yahweh comes from means "cause to exist", which in turn comes from the Phoenician 'el dū yahwī ṣaba’ôt' (𐤏𐤋 𐤃𐤅 𐤉𐤄𐤅𐤄 𐤑𐤁𐤀𐤅𐤕), translated as "El who creates the hosts". In Babylonian mythology, Yahweh would accompany the God El against Israel. As the Jews conquered the surrounding areas, the God El was appropriated and changed into Yahweh, to which the later Christians simply addressed as GOD.
'Amir Alzzalam
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2019, 12:58:42 pm »
If an ineffably powerful being came down and in whatever way proved beyond a doubt that they were the "Satan" of Christianity and wanted your allegiance in war against Yahweh and the heavens, would you join him?

The Satan of, say, Catholicism? Absolutely not. But more on this below.

This isn't to suppose that Christian cosmology is wholly or even mostly correct (which it isn't), but just enough for this scenario to work. Is there a line where you wouldn't follow him? If so where is that line?

First, as others have said, if Satan is fated to lose some final conflict, then following him would be stupid.

Second, if Satan is as Catholics see him; I.e., tempting people to break the Father's laws and reject the Son to earn eternal damnation; then to hell with him.

All of that said, the Christian cosmology just makes no damned sense. The only way I can make it work in any internally consistent way is like so:
1. The Father is a maniacal control freak who hates all freedom and all attempts at freedom
2. Satan is the jerkiest jerk of all jerks who plays into the Father's mania and manipulates it into being a mechanism for his abominable sadism
3. The Son is the only good guy in this story, as he has found a way to convince the Father to let at least some souls off the hook so long as they accept the Son into their hearts

If the above were how the universe actually worked, then I would align with the Son.

Slither whither thou wouldst.

idgo

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2019, 11:22:59 pm »
If an ineffably powerful being came down and in whatever way proved beyond a doubt that they were the "Satan" of Christianity and wanted your allegiance in war against Yahweh and the heavens, would you join him?

So, a Thing shows up and claims to be ineffably powerful. OK...  if the thing wants to converse with me and persuade me to assist it, I would ask it a variety of questions: "Could and would you do X to prove your power?". Just making up various things of varying degrees of morality. Some easy examples include raising the dead, destroying the innocent, harming itself, etc. The set of topics about which the thing says "I could, but I would not" will tell me whether I am interested in pursuing further dialog with it.

If I am so inclined, I would then ask "if you're so powerful, what do you need my help for?". The answer would probably include testable claims, which I would proceed to test.