Author Topic: A hilariously RHP/dogmatic rant from CoS  (Read 462 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
A hilariously RHP/dogmatic rant from CoS
« on: May 29, 2019, 12:00:41 pm »
https://www.churchofsatan.com/satanism-needs-an-enema/

Haha just listen to this shit! It has it all! Proselytizing, calls for Inquisition, ignoring actual history, demonization and ad hominem attacks against all "others"... It's amazing people still think the CoS is somehow LHP.

"This problem actually involves not our unkillable foundation of truth, but the course of the modern movement of Satanism.

The movement is in danger. The danger is real. The danger can be stopped. I am writing this to put a stop to it!"

"If we do not cut out from our midst this destructive, anti-Satanic theme of godism, if we do not return to our fundamentally atheistic roots, we shall cease to be a vital force, as a movement."

"The modern Satanic movement is ideas. The wrong ideas can kill what is truly Satanic in our efforts and leave us just another mindless cult."

"We need to correct every idiot out there who thinks that it it is enough to say, “I am a Satanist” while acting like a hallucinating psychotic."

"I  am calling for a closing of the ranks and a throwing out of the heretics. I am asking for the Purge! I am asking for a reverse Inquisition. Let me be the first to put you to the question"

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Onyx

Re: A hilariously RHP/dogmatic rant from CoS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 12:36:43 pm »
I have the printed copy of that essay, it's an old one from 1990. Nemo was always very cordial and responsive in our occasional online interactions, but it's generally pointless to bring up the subject of theism with that crowd. ;)

Apparently he was a member of the Temple of Set and reached the II* (which I understand doesn't necessarily require theistic belief, or at least didn't back then). M.A. claims he wanted to become a III*, but was never recognized as such.

Nevertheless, we're talking about the days of the Panic where they defended the term Satanism to protect the integrity of the Church of Satan against all of the media and law-enforcement nonsense that was going on at the time.

I wouldn't take this too seriously. It's an opinion piece and Nemo tends to include a sense of humor in his writings, hence the two-fisted language.

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:48:20 pm »
Where did you learn he was ToS?

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Mindmaster

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 05:49:01 pm »
"I  am calling for a closing of the ranks and a throwing out of the heretics. I am asking for the Purge! I am asking for a reverse Inquisition. Let me be the first to put you to the question"

It's recognizing the problem, but not the solutions. I touched on this very issue when I wrote my article for TIS, but I did something different -- suggested a solution without repeating the mistakes of the past. Heterodoxy is even worse than hegemony but the water gets muddied on occasion. After some analysis, I felt the nuances and variance between manifestations of the LHP are extremely minor and most of the problems devolve into disagreements on aesthetics, expression, or one's subjective reality. Focusing on the "subjective understanding" of non-conforming individuals is missing the mark entirely -- it's our space, our heads, our rules. I've always felt that any viable interpretation of the LHP promotes a flexible approach and thus allows a neophyte to come as they are now and develop into what they want to be. Those decisions can only truly be made by oneself. However, that also means tolerating the variance within the ranks of your organization and also encouraging it. "Don't believe me, believe yourself." -- should be the operating motto, to some extent, in all real LHP organizations.

That being said, I think the cheese slipped off the cracker a hell of a long time ago at the CoS. They've been increasingly more intolerant, heterodox, and appear to have not learned from the "sins of the past" very well. In my own view, I see none of these traits in the light of a LHP organization and more similar to a cult of sorts. Whether that is a cult of personality or not I have yet to determine. I vehemently reject any organization that embraces this nonsense -- even a little bit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:48:34 pm by Mindmaster »

Onyx

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 09:58:13 pm »
Quote from: Xepera maSet
Where did you learn he was ToS?

M.A. made the claim on the 600 somewhere.

Quote from: Mindmaster
That being said, I think the cheese slipped off the cracker...

You do have a way with words.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:21:20 pm by Onyx »

Etu Malku

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:22 pm »
Nemo was an Adept II°, I know who he is from my tenure in the ToS
He did write quite a bit of literature regarding the Temple, much of it can be found online.
IAMTHATIAMNOT

Xepera maSet

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 11:33:42 pm »
That's even funnier!

- Crowley

Onyx

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 01:46:49 am »
The distinction I would make when it comes to cults: A cult is easy to join but hard to leave. A legitimate group is hard to join, but easy to leave.

Edit: Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it was @Setamontet who phrased it this way.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:03:58 pm by Onyx »

Mindmaster

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 09:12:13 am »
The distinction I would make when it comes to cults: A cult is easy to join but hard to leave. A legitimate group is hard to join, but easy to leave.

I view a cult with slightly less stringent criteria, although wholeheartedly agree some are hard to leave. I certainly think you're in the "cult" category when your ideas are the "one true way", whether or not people are prevented from exiting the group. Beyond that, I've heard stories of ex-higher ups having their reputations attacked by CoS rank and file upon exit. This behavior is no different than say someone like the Scientologists, though admittedly far less extreme.

Kapalika

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 03:51:53 pm »
As per what @Mindmaster  said, I don't think heterodoxy is the right word, as it would imply there is some kind of orthodoxy that it is derived from. In other words heterodoxy is an established tradition of heresy in a sense, essentially. The CoS doesn't really have an orthodoxy to be derived from; it is an orthodoxy unto itself. This is evident in their use of the word "dogma" and their defense of the word.

tl;dr heterodoxy isnt just a word for 'spooky orthodoxy'

Never thought of it that way but love that way of putting it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:54:02 pm by Kapalika »
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 03:22:02 pm »
There are not two choices but three:
1. Symbol
2. Entity
3. Force

Note these quotes from the very article under discussion:

“In LaVey's view, the Devil was not [an anthropomorphic deity], but rather a dark, hidden force in nature responsible for the workings of earthly affairs, a force for which neither science nor religion had any explanation.”—Burton Wolfe, Introduction to The Satanic Bible.

“Satan...merely represents a force of nature—the powers of darkness which have been named just that because no religion has taken these forces out of darkness.” “...this many faceted key to the unknown—which the Satanist chooses to call ‘Satan’.” (page 62).

Not Symbol nor Entity, perhaps, but instead, Force.

As for "in nature" and "of nature" - much depends on how broad our notion of nature is.
Slither whither thou wouldst.