Author Topic: The influences of various religions on Satanism  (Read 443 times)

Nadine

The influences of various religions on Satanism
« on: May 03, 2018, 12:10:21 am »
Hello everyone. One of the fellow members of this website gave me the link of this website. I am lucky to have discovered a group of like minded individuals.The post I am about to make is all about my observations from Hinduism ( I was born in a Hindu family). So this current post deals with my thoughts on how Satanism has its presence in one of the oldest religions of the world and how the ideas of both Theistic and LaVeyan Satanism overlap with that of this religion.
 I come from India, Asia which consists of almost 80% hindus. Now being the home to one of the oldest civilizations and the oldest of religions, there are vast sects in the religion itself. We find adaptations, traces and direct ideas of both Theistic and LaVeyan Satanism in the various symbolic and literary forms. Coming from a Hindu family, I had the luck to study these literary sources up close and when I came to know of Satanism, the connection was clear cut. Interestingly, what the Church mentions as devil is actually God in Hinduism. The word "Devi" in Sanskrit means Goddess. Hinduism can be termed as more of a spread out revolution than a religion due to the various sects it involves. Interestingly, many of these sects such as Shaivites, Kaali worshippers and Bala worshippers are directly relatable to the earlier forms of Occult and of Satanism. Sigil making, offerings in the form of skulls, blood etc are common in these less known societies of Hinduism. What's even more interesting is the application of sorcery and witchcraft by another group termed as "Aghoris" which tend to remain in a meditative state throughout the day and spend their nights in graveyards and morgues. The various use of Talismans, visits to Tantrik Gurus are clear indication of the influence Theistic satanism had.Deities to me are more symbolic to the religion and rituals more for the psychological effect. This applies to the literature of these sects too. We find instances of individualism and similarities to the earlier literature of Theistic Satanism. For example, the beginning of the Bhagvad Geeta ( The go to layman's Holy Book of Hinduism) states God saying clearly that he resides in your heart as much as he does in heaven or hell. Every action of yours is affecting the God inside you. Now this sounds a bit orthodox so as to talk about heaven and hell and God being in the heart of an individual. But the feeling and emotion of liberty and embracement of one's individual identity cannot be ignored.
This also gets interesting when you look for the idea of Devil in Hinduism. It states that the Devil has earthly presence and is as much important as the other Gods. Gods like Shani, Rahu and Ketu are worshipped by many of the Hindu people. Even the creator of Earth, Lord Shiva has traits similar to those mentioned of Satan in early Theistic Satanic literature. Hinduism also incorporates a very different approach to God. It wants its disciples to follow the God you find the most relatable to your own personal self and devote your time in worshipping him. Now the idea of both Satanism and Hinduism is similar. We find the heavenly being to be a better version of our own self and try to emulate by gaining that level.
This clearly implies that Satanism, whether Theistic or LaVeyan has been a religion both philosophical and practical as it takes its values from various religions across the world and cuts out the various old practices which may seem out of date to the modern man.Whether Satanism started as a protest to Christianity or on the banks of Brahmaputra, one thing is very clear that there are many more things left to explore for the modern Satanist.
I hope to make similar posts in the future, and try to draw various examples of this very topic.
Cheers! Hail Satan!

Kapalika

Re: The influences of various religions on Satanism
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 12:20:38 am »
I think some of us, and me in particular, are aware of the similarities. I think a number of sects are very similar and my own beliefs as a system developed until someone pointed out I had kind of reinvented the basic idea of Trika (Kashmir shaivism)

Only thing I can really note in what you said, devil comes from latin to mean "slanderer". I know LaVey mentioned devil as coming from "devi" but it's not true, it's just more so of a coincidence.

I look forward to your posts. I might have more to say on it later, but was just checking the forums once more before going to bed and so quite mentally tired.

Also I was curious if you are willing, who invited you. There are a few Hindu and Buddhist minded members here and so I'm more so just curious :)

In any case, Hail Satan and om namah shivaya :)
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:50:47 am »
Glad you came by :)

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460

pi_rameses

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 11:41:49 am »
Welcome, @Nadine
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra

Setamontet

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 01:40:25 pm »
Excellent post Nadine, and welcome to the forum! = )

"O learn the Law, my brothers of the night - the Great Law and the Lesser Law.
The Great Law brings the balance and doth persist without mercy.
The Lesser Law abideth as the key, and the Shining Trapezoid is the door!" - Anton LaVey

Nadine

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 03:53:31 pm »

Only thing I can really note in what you said, devil comes from latin to mean "slanderer". I know LaVey mentioned devil as coming from "devi" but it's not true, it's just more so of a coincidence.

I might disagree with you on this one. Sanskrit and Tamil are one of the oldest languages of the world. Devil and Divine come from the same root word of Sanskrit "Dev". There have been instances of many more words picked up from Vedic Sanskrit ( the earliest form of Sanskrit). Latin was the oldest Indo-European language so as to say. Plus you might be aware that Devi represents forms of Kali and Durga and both of them have some very common attributes to the Devil's imagery as per the western idea.

I look forward to your posts. I might have more to say on it later, but was just checking the forums once more before going to bed and so quite mentally tired.

Thanks! Also I was invited by one of the co-founders I think. Met him on reddit.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 11:23:12 pm »
That would be me :) I'm Three Scarabs over on Reddit.

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460

pi_rameses

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 01:40:46 am »
Similar story to @Nadine. I have very little karma on Reddit. I stuck around long enough to experience a debate of minutiae that can only be described as a nonsensical impasse, searched for Setianism subs and came across Three Scarabs. The OS arrived at an opportune moment and seems to me a harbinger of greater moments of learning, power and pleasure in the future. In the most uncanniest of ways.
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra