Author Topic: Every Arguable Prince(ss) of Darkness Ever  (Read 85 times)

Xepera maSet

Every Arguable Prince(ss) of Darkness Ever
« on: April 11, 2018, 06:35:08 pm »
Idk why we haven't done this yet. I just want to compile a list of PoDs from different cultures. So obviously some are:

Set/Thoth
Odin/Loki
Quetzalcoatl
Satan/Lucifer
Ishtar
Prometheus
.... Who are the numerous others?
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"Do we believe in Satan? The only thing that really matters is that he believes in us."
- A Nameless Ghoul

Liu

Re: Every Arguable Prince(ss) of Darkness Ever
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:08:32 pm »
I'm not that familiar with Ishtar nor Quetzalcoatl, could you explain how they fit into the list?

Some other ideas:
Discordia (at least in her post-modern interpretation), Shemyaza and Azazel, Shiva and Kālī, Angra Mainyu.

For you as a Setian, the most important aspect about the prince/ss of darkness likely is it being the originator of consciousness and bringer of knowledge. But as we all know that often overlaps with it being a kind of anti-god, and/or it standing for the subconscious, desires, will, etc. Depending on which of these aspects you stress, some deities might fit the list or not.

If we only stress the knowledge aspect, we could add Sophia, if it's more about being against the ruling gods and representing the primal ocean of the subconscious, that would include Tiamat or perhaps even Absu. In other words, it is both Dionysos and Apollon, or at least part of either.

Xepera maSet

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:37:08 pm »
Yeah I think separation from the gods/nature is key. Heck, Set wasn't technically a god of knowledge! But he did birth and was tied to Thoth.

Quetzalcoatl was the god of intelligence and knowledge as far as I can tell. He was outside of order and created this world from that of a failing one.

Ishtar was against the gods and decended into the underworld through the seven gates in order to gain knowledge. She then returned becoming immortal.

These are just AFAIK.

"Do we believe in Satan? The only thing that really matters is that he believes in us."
- A Nameless Ghoul

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 10:51:17 am »
I wouldn't say separation from nature/gods, as Lui gave some examples which are associated with nature (the goddess Kali for instance). I'm not sure what the Prince of Darkness would be but if it's simply a Promethean like figure, ya that's gonna narrow it more than say a god that brings greater consciousness or originates it.

In the case of Kali she isn't directly responsible for the consciousness itself but more so the realm it exists in and the of bounds of consciousness in it's limited state but she is also the death of those limits by transfiguration/death, with Shiva being her creator (as well as the source of consciousness) and Shiva the destroyer of the limitations. Since Kali is the method towards the destruction she also isn't strictly just the limitation. This is summed up as Kali being nature/expression/method and Shiva the soul/source/conclusion.

At least that's my view as a Trika Shaivite. A lot of how it's viewed will depend on sect. Ultimately I'm not sure how Promethean either can be since they are not in a cultural context where a rebel deity is really needed so much since devas are mostly benevolent.

Also with Set, would his domain of night and storms define him as having aspects of nature? I honestly don't know too much about Egyptology so I'm genuinely asking.

Similarly on Loki, wouldn't he be more defined as a trickster than someone who expands conciousness and brings the proverbial "fire" to man? Or is there some mythology giving him Promthean archetypes?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:05:31 am by Kapalika »
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." -- Swami Lakshmanjoo

Setamontet

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 05:48:13 pm »
His/Its names are many; a list I've gathered from various sources.  By no means is this list complete:

Abaddon, Abiron, Aborym, Acaos, Acharon, Achas, Adonis, Adramelek, Agares, Aggareth, Alaster, Alex, Alilah, Amon, Amoyon, Andrew Malchus, Aniguel, Anizel, Antichrist, Anubis, Apollo, Apollyon, Arakiel, Ariel, Armaros, Asa, Asael, Astaroth, Asmenoth, Asmodeus, Asmodi, Astarte, Atoti, Azazel, Aziel, Baal, Baalberith, Babillo, Bali, Barakel, Barbatos, Barbuel, Barfael, Baphomet, Barron, Beelzebub, Behemoth, Beherith, Bel, Beleh, Beleth, Belenus, Belial, Belphegor, Belus, Belzebuth, Berith, Bilwitz, Brahma, Brendly, Cedon, Cedor, Cedron, Celsus, Cham, Charon, Chemos, Dagon, Death, Demogorgon, Dis, Easa, Eblis (Iblis), Erminsul, Eros, Esau-Samael, Eternity of Sorrows, Euryonomous, Ezekeel, Fafnir, Federwisch, Fenris, Flagel, Focalos, Furcas, Goap, Gresil, Griffael, Hecate, Hel, Hellekrugk, Hermes, Heva, Horus, Hutgin, Igymeth, Iris, Isaacharum, Ishtar, Isis, Jupiter, Kawkabel, Kobal, Leviathan, Lilith, Lucifer, Lucifugus, Machlath, Magog, Magon, Mammon, Macaron, Marfael, Mephistopheles, Mercury, Moloch/Molok, Neptune, Nergal, Nicker, Odin, Orphaxat, Orus, Osiris, Pan, Phoenix, Pluto, Prometheus, Raguhel, Rimmon, Samael, Satan, Seriel, Set, Shaitan, Thoth, Tiamat, Uriel, Venus, Vulcan, Wotan, Zelinda.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:46:05 pm by Setamontet »

"The Path of Darkness leads to Enlightenment."

Xepera maSet

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:33:51 pm »
I don't see how this list could be accurate, for example it lists both Set and Horus as PoD.

- A Nameless Ghoul

Setamontet

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:53:42 pm »
I don't see how this list could be accurate, for example it lists both Set and Horus as PoD.

Set and Horus are both aspects of the Prince of Darkness.

"The Path of Darkness leads to Enlightenment."

Kapalika

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:19:07 pm »

I can see that. Light/Dark aspect (or whatever you want to call the two complimentary parts). It's a similar parallel to what I was saying about Shiva/Kali. I also do a similar thing with Lilith and Satan.

I did notice Apollo in there and was a little surprise for me, does he have a corresponding other as well? I'm not familiar with Greek mythology to know what that would be. All I know is he pulled the sun with his chariot and that his sister was Artemis. (strangely, I have two cats named after them that are brother and sister o.0)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:21:37 pm by Kapalika »
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." -- Swami Lakshmanjoo

Xepera maSet

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 12:07:25 am »

Originally I typed "I accept! :)" Then I waited and couldn't sent it. Set and Horus are the cosmic opposites in my understanding, one the light, material, natural, solar, and the other dark, immaterial, unnatural, and stellar. The latter being the Prince of Darkness as opposed to the former Prince of Light.

- A Nameless Ghoul

Liu

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 10:51:59 am »

I did notice Apollo in there and was a little surprise for me, does he have a corresponding other as well? I'm not familiar with Greek mythology to know what that would be. All I know is he pulled the sun with his chariot and that his sister was Artemis. (strangely, I have two cats named after them that are brother and sister o.0)
Not very familiar with him either, but as I mentioned above, Dionysos is sometimes considered his opposite. At least in modern literature (19th century or so) there is sometimes this notion of an apollonian vs a dionysian mindset or life philosophy, i.e. clear thinking and rationality vs. carnality, drunkenness and emotions. I have no idea whether that notion was already present in antiquity.

One further reason for the inclusion of Apollon in that list might be that Abbadon is called Apollyon in the bible. 'Apollyon' is simply Ancient Greek for "the destroying one" and not etymologically related to Apollon but that doesn't stop people from equating them.