Author Topic: making a list of notable Satanist organizations/sects  (Read 1392 times)

Kapalika

Re: making a list of notable Satanist organizations/sects
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 12:42:14 pm »
Well I got around to actually being in the research stage. So many god-damn defunct groups. Ugh lol.

Although I did recall that there is a very odd twist on Satanism in South and Latin America I forgot about. There's even a guy who says he's the son of Lucifer that runs an actual Church down there and there has been some other out there stuff. I'm also trying to piece together what the heck is with so many Africans interested in Satanism as I remember that's totally a thing.

A few other tibits here and there... trying to piece the mess that is this damn set of religions. Oh, also apparently Satanic Reds might still be a thing. Gonna try to consult a couple of contacts if I can get a hold of them again to see if they know of anything else worth mentioning.
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Kapalika

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 09:25:31 pm »

I've been off and on gathering some research as I don't want to half ass it too much.

This is an example of latin/south american Satanism I've been talking about:

I also, recently, when looking at statistics for my demographics, found that apparently there is a lot of interest in "Satan" in Brazil and Mexico beyond Christianity. But It's been hard to find information on Satanism down there... maybe cause' I search in English lol. There was also an article I've read in the past I'm trying to find.

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Onyx

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 07:12:31 pm »
I only know English, but the aesthetics are terrible. White and red? Church pews? Plain inverted crosses instead of stylized ones? Fucking hell.

Seems like a business venture to me, apparently they sell "pacts with the devil" for money. Which is fine if it's reasonable, like Anton LaVey once wrote: "perhaps it is time the Devil is given his due". :mrgreen:

Kapalika

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 07:52:12 pm »
I only know English, but the aesthetics are terrible. White and red? Church pews? Plain inverted crosses instead of stylized ones? Fucking hell.

Seems like a business venture to me, apparently they sell "pacts with the devil" for money. Which is fine if it's reasonable, like Anton LaVey once wrote: "perhaps it is time the Devil is given his due". :mrgreen:

There's also some people who will sacrifice chickens and pray to Satan for blessing for people. It seems very much like a mix of Catholicism and native witchcraft beliefs (for a lack of better terms) but i have a hard time not at least addressing it as a good number of people seem to do it in Latin America.

It's been hard finding solid info on this though, but I know from my study of my demographics of my music that a lot of people are interested in "Satan", to the point that apparently my musical themes would be almost as popular in Brazil as in India (brazil more so for the satan/occult)

pi_rameses

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 03:42:15 pm »
Far out..
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra

pi_rameses

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 07:08:33 pm »
So in Flambeau Noir, Thomas LeRoy came out and explained how some philosophical principles of the Sect of the Horned God. This is much in line with some of the threads that @Kapalika has posted and seems to me as valid as membership in a Western organization like ToS:

Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra

Little Beast

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 12:33:06 am »
Here's some defunct classics for ya:

Our Lady of Endor Coven of the Ophite Gnostic Cultus Sathanas
(1948; founded by Herbert Sloane)

This is kind of debatable as to being defunct. While Sloane is the originator of both the Our Lady of Endor Coven and the Ophite Cultus Sat(h)anas he referred to his group (which formed and disbanded several times) as simply being a coven of the cult. Over the years various Gnostic groups (including one I'm part of) have adopted his Ophite Cultus Satanas concept as simply a by-word for Gnostic Satanism, and have referred to ourselves being "coven x" of such.

In the case of the groups I'm aware of this was found useful to differentiate ourselves from more well known Temple of the Black Light, which is usually what people think of if Satanism or Luciferianism is mentioned in a Gnostic context. By this I mean we're not the Ophite Cultus Satanas, but that we follow paradigms which are Ophite, Satanic, and are religious in nature and relatively small... thus a cult.

I know that's semantics but thought I'd share the info.

EDIT: I'll make a post in the Satanism subforum to clarify this point for those interested.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:48:39 am by Little Beast »

Kapalika

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 10:48:54 pm »
Glad you have, I put the video on hold when I got my current job as my time became more limited (and with me moving soon IDK When I'll do it) I'll make sure to make mention of it wheneverI finally decide to finish my research.

Mindmaster

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 08:37:40 am »
Nice list!

Been trying to think of more notable theistic groups but I keep drawing a blank. I know of influential writers but not any groups that are active that don't fit into the ONA types. Anyone know of any active theistic groups worth mentioning that are notable in some way?
Not sure how active they still are or whether they ever had more than a dozen or so official members, but the MLO/TotBL?
There's certainly a lot of people influenced by them at least.
Well, perhaps you counted them to the ONA-types, though, as they took some inspiration from them. Wouldn't equate them, though.

Besides that, yeah, mainly individuals, very small groups at most that are not open to further members or that are quite unknown at least.
If you wanna make a more general list, also including single persons and/or groups of less notability, I could try and gather some suggestions.

MLO/TotBL pretty much DOA, most of the founders split into different directions many of them being artists or musicians. Some of those people quit all of that stuff and run some closed (unnamed) group, but that's about it for what I know of them.

I think ONA basically just embraces any edgy manifestation, so that's all Satanism is to them. Many of them are playing with Islam. I wouldn't say their focus was ever on satanic religion. ONA lingo is an entirely different can of worms, and a belief system on top of all others.

Groups are extraordinarily rare with theists, but when they happen they're not open. We receive shit from the public and other Satanists, so we just rather do without them. Probably the most open is actually the Demonolatry though they ascribe to some neo-pagan understandings, where I diverge with them. A ton of theists are hanging with dark aligned pagans and Wiccans/Witches. We can slide in with them on rituals because we understand The Horned God and Satan to be identical. So, there is a lot of that there is a group but it's not necessarily a satanic group thing going on. Many of the open local groups will pretend to be "traditional witches" or you will see them list some darker beings in their descriptions. It won't be out there that they're Satanic Witches.

It's also probably worth mentioning but there is nearly no difference between Theistic Luciferians and Satanists. It's probably wise to combine them in most cases. (Probably to their frustration... :))

Etu Malku

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 01:36:41 pm »
What would define a Satanic group?

Little Beast

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2018, 02:08:35 pm »
Probably just a bad attitude, that's "Satanism" in common parlance.

Liu

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2018, 02:36:02 pm »
I think ONA basically just embraces any edgy manifestation, so that's all Satanism is to them. Many of them are playing with Islam. I wouldn't say their focus was ever on satanic religion. ONA lingo is an entirely different can of worms, and a belief system on top of all others.
When I read parts of Liber Azerate or some other TotBL-material a while ago some sections seemed to be inspired by writings of the ONA (in content and terminology). I don't remember which ones, though, but therefore my assumption of some relation between the groups.

It's also probably worth mentioning but there is nearly no difference between Theistic Luciferians and Satanists. It's probably wise to combine them in most cases. (Probably to their frustration... :))
At least not more difference than between any two theistic Luciferians or Satanists.
Well, some Luciferians (and a few Satanists) stress how Satan and Lucifer are different entities, though.

Consisting of more than 2 people that call themselves Satanists.

Etu Malku

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 05:54:24 pm »
Consisting of more than 2 people that call themselves Satanists.
Then why are other non-Satanic organizations being mentioned here? e.g. Luciferians are not Satanists.

Mindmaster

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 06:13:48 pm »
Then why are other non-Satanic organizations being mentioned here? e.g. Luciferians are not Satanists.
[/quote]

I've been at this for awhile, I certainly consider Theistic Luciferians in the same vane as Theistic Satanists. Our beliefs, practices, and whatnot are similar. Generally what is different is aesthetic -- they prefer different names or different texts. I'd say they're nearly identical other than their rejection of Judeo-Christian names. Of course, my opinion of this is based solely on direct conversation with several folks directly. Once we get past the Lucifer=Satan name debacle they're doing what I do, for the most part. Your theism versus atheism is the primary difference in any of these paths, after that it's aesthetics and minor talking points. That applies to the bulk of left-hand path expressions, not just this comparison. :D

So, it's basically whether your subjective impression focuses on similarity or isolates the minutia. I admit the aesthetic differences, but see the commonality as well. :D

Mindmaster

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2018, 06:24:05 pm »
At least not more difference than between any two theistic Luciferians or Satanists.
Well, some Luciferians (and a few Satanists) stress how Satan and Lucifer are different entities, though.
[/quote]

I agree this would be the sticking point probably as to why a Luciferian would consider themselves that versus a Satanist. However, I feel Satan=Lucifer and to me it's just word games. Luciferians typically hate Judeo-Christian frames of reference, but after that they're doing the same shit. Though, if we're taking Roman references to Lucifier and ignoring Satanism there is not much there -- you can literally play pin the tail of the deity. If you get into the details they mostly just pin what I'd attribute to Satan to Lucifer. In essence, they draw the demarcation and still worship the same deity in another context, in drag, so the arguments get pretty silly. :D