Author Topic: making a list of notable Satanist organizations/sects  (Read 941 times)

Kapalika

making a list of notable Satanist organizations/sects
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:41:38 pm »
So I was bored and watching youtube and came across this video where a rather ignorant Satanist claimed that Satan is latin and then said they were quoting the nine satanic statements but instead quoted the first of the Satanic Temple's Tenets.  :facepalm:

In recent years I've seen people in public discourse discuss Satanism a lot more but it's always getting conflated with so many other sects of Satanism and this all has gotten me very irked. I want to make a video or something breaking it down with some graphs or some shit and talking ect doing a quick rundown of wtf is what.

With that said, I'm trying to gather a list of notable sects/groups. I used to have one long ago, but lost it. haha. So if anyone wants to help me with this... this is what I got so far:

symbolic satanists (non-specific/not TST or CoS)
Church of Satan
Temple of Set (at first?)
First Church of Satan
The Satanic Temple
Henotheistic Satanists
Pantheistic Satanists
spiritual satanists (part of henotheism?)
ONA/crazy far right fuckers (nazi or racial groups ect)
sect of the horned god

I know there is a few theistic organizations i could mention but I can't ever keep up with what ones are defunct. These are just the ones off the top of my head. I'll update and clean up the the formatting as I think of more. Feel free to suggest anything you think is notable either as a broad category or a specific organization

EDit: Almost forgot, but since I was making the list I also thought I might be able to clean it up and expand it even more as some kind of index of sorts. Dunno. Made this topic on a whim.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:57:00 am by Kapalika »
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

pi_rameses

Re: making a list of notable Satanist organizations/sects
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 09:26:49 pm »
Sect of the Horned God.
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra
Nylfmedli14

fnord

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 04:10:16 am »
Sect of the Horned God.

I like them :)

I might even be on the founder's page
http://www.thesectofthehornedgod.com/?page_id=23

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:55:10 am »
Hm. I had come across their stuff last year. Looking now, based on their online activity from what I can find they would be notable.

As a personal side note, not that it bears any weight to how notable they are, but I was once shown a video of theirs with one of the founder guy saying stuff about Shiva that was inaccurate (such as the meaning/translation of some mantras).  Kinda rather irked me lol. But they did at least get the general idea mostly right that (in some currents) individual self = Shiva. Probably more so for me was he was conflating different Hindu sects... for example Shaivites don't believe Brahman is the creator, we believe that Shiva is the creator, and preserver, not just the destroyer. And we are not Advaita Vedantas although some of us are Advaita but he seemed to talk a lot from a Vedanata perspective while talking about what we believe. I did greatly appreciate him recognizing Shaivaism's strong ties to the Left Hand Path, however. SFAIK only Shakta can compare to it in that respect.

At least that's what I recall. I don't have the patience to listen to it again (I hate when people take lots of pauses),  but here's the video if anyone is curious. Again, note that not everything said is totally accurate :D

Anyways they are definitely active enough to make the list. I might have to do some research on them as I'm not as familiar with their beliefs.

edit2: only reason i brought any of that up is that is basically my only exposure to the group lol. but ya based on their online numbers... not sure how I missed them.

EDIT:

Been trying to think of more notable theistic groups but I keep drawing a blank. I know of influential writers but not any groups that are active that don't fit into the ONA types. Anyone know of any active theistic groups worth mentioning that are notable in some way?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:26:34 pm by Kapalika »

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Liu

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:01:54 pm »
Nice list!

Been trying to think of more notable theistic groups but I keep drawing a blank. I know of influential writers but not any groups that are active that don't fit into the ONA types. Anyone know of any active theistic groups worth mentioning that are notable in some way?
Not sure how active they still are or whether they ever had more than a dozen or so official members, but the MLO/TotBL?
There's certainly a lot of people influenced by them at least.
Well, perhaps you counted them to the ONA-types, though, as they took some inspiration from them. Wouldn't equate them, though.

Besides that, yeah, mainly individuals, very small groups at most that are not open to further members or that are quite unknown at least.
If you wanna make a more general list, also including single persons and/or groups of less notability, I could try and gather some suggestions.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:04:43 pm by Liu »

Setamontet

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:39:00 pm »
Aside from the ToS and its various orders, and the Order of the Serpent, over the years I've been associated with or have heard of other groups such as; The First Church of Satan, The First Satanic Church (Karla LaVey), The Church of Lucifer (this group turned out to be quite dubious).

"O learn the Law, my brothers of the night - the Great Law and the Lesser Law.
The Great Law brings the balance and doth persist without mercy.
The Lesser Law abideth as the key, and the Shining Trapezoid is the door!" - Anton LaVey

Frater Sisyphus

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 09:51:19 am »
Hm. I had come across their stuff last year. Looking now, based on their online activity from what I can find they would be notable.

As a personal side note, not that it bears any weight to how notable they are, but I was once shown a video of theirs with one of the founder guy saying stuff about Shiva that was inaccurate (such as the meaning/translation of some mantras).  Kinda rather irked me lol. But they did at least get the general idea mostly right that (in some currents) individual self = Shiva. Probably more so for me was he was conflating different Hindu sects... for example Shaivites don't believe Brahman is the creator, we believe that Shiva is the creator, and preserver, not just the destroyer. And we are not Advaita Vedantas although some of us are Advaita but he seemed to talk a lot from a Vedanata perspective while talking about what we believe. I did greatly appreciate him recognizing Shaivaism's strong ties to the Left Hand Path, however. SFAIK only Shakta can compare to it in that respect.

At least that's what I recall. I don't have the patience to listen to it again (I hate when people take lots of pauses),  but here's the video if anyone is curious. Again, note that not everything said is totally accurate :D

Anyways they are definitely active enough to make the list. I might have to do some research on them as I'm not as familiar with their beliefs.

As my religious leanings are towards Hinduism, Shaivism has been of great interest. I do see basic parallels between it and Luciferianism/Satanism but then it kinda predates Christianity and Satanism.
Thanks for mentioning it, I'm watching the video now  :)

Frater V.I.M.

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:56:00 am »
Here's some defunct classics for ya:

Our Lady of Endor Coven of the Ophite Gnostic Cultus Sathanas
(1948; founded by Herbert Sloane)

Brotherhood of the Ram
[this one eventually dropped its Satanic connotations and basically became the "Pan Pipes" occult store that you still see online.]
(1960s; founded by Don Blythe)

Thee Satanic Orthodox Church of Nethilum Rite
[None of that's a typo; that's how it was spelled]
(1971; founded by Terry Taylor)

Church of Satanic Brotherhood
[pre-ToS spinoff from the CoS]
(1973; founded by John DeHaven and others from the CoS)

Ordo Templi Satanas
[a spinoff from the above mentioned  "Church of Satanic Brotherhood"]
(1970s, founded by Joseph Daniels and Clifford Amos)

Thee Satanic Church
[Spinoff from the above mentioned "Thee Satanic Orthodox Church of Nethilum Rite"]
(1974; founded by Dr. Evelyn Paglini)

Order of the Black Ram
[another pre-ToS spinoff from the CoS; this one a Neo-Nazi group]
(1974; founded by John T. Amend, aka "Seth Kliphoth" and others.)

Church of Lucifer
(1980s; founded by Robert Stills; later ran online by Frederick Nagash)

Gnostic Order and Temple of Satanas
[G.O.T.O.S; mix of Thelema and LaVeyan Satanism]
(1985; not sure of the founder)

Church Lucifer
[associated closely with Allee's FCoS; not to be confused with the "Church OF Lucifer" noted above]
(1990s; founded by Nate Leved)

Horned Order's Magickal Existence
[H.O.M.E.; later changed its name to The Orthodox Temple of Satan]
(1992; founded by Robert Womack, aka, "Brother Nero" after a split with the ToS)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:02:15 am by Frater V.I.M. »
"If somebody were to say ‘well, do you worship Set?’ YES. And what is Set? It is the collective phenomena of conscious existence and self-awareness. And yes we worship that. It is a wonderful, magnificent, beautiful thing.” - Dr. Aquino

Kapalika

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:28:48 am »
I'm not certain how politically similar the MLO/TBL is to ONA; I kind of thought they were more anti-cosmic. I've considered some forms of Satanism practiced by Scandanavian black metal bands to almost be it's own catagory, as well as a/anticosmic but I'm not sure that I can really point to clear examples.

As far as the defunct groups, I've only heard of two or three of those before... were any of them influential that would be worth mentioning?

Also I might be rememberng wrong, as I thought the First Church of Satan was run by a LaVey...  but Setamoment mentioned The First Satanic Church. I'll toss it on the list to look at.

What I might end up doing is putting some example groups into broad catagories and using the groups/individuals as prominent examples or influential figures/groups in that sphere of thought. I''ll ponder on how to do that and get back to the topic on it. Once I do that, I'll start the research phase and double checking what I know then start on the video's script.

Frater V.I.M.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 10:43:51 am »
"The First Church of Satan" was founded by John Allee, aka "Lord Egan" in 1994. John had been a member of LaVey's "Church of Satan" from 1970 to 1974, and later joined the ToS, leaving in the early 90s before founding the FCoS. It gets confusing because in the 1960s, sometimes LaVey's Church was referred to as "the First Church of Satan," but that was never its official, legal name. Its legal name was "the Church of Satan."

"The First Satanic Church" is yet another group. That is a group ran by LaVey's daughter Karla, and it was founded in 1999.

As far as the other defunct groups being influential . . . that depends on who you talk to. Some individuals and smaller circles have been influenced by some of them to various degrees. The Satanic Mass performed by my old Coven on a regular weekly basis for years was heavily modeled on Herbert Sloane's Mass, as one example. But as far as highly influential in the current public online shitshow that is "Satanism?" That's hard to really gauge. I'd imagine not. But I also don't tend to really keep up with what current Satanist groups do or say anymore.
"If somebody were to say ‘well, do you worship Set?’ YES. And what is Set? It is the collective phenomena of conscious existence and self-awareness. And yes we worship that. It is a wonderful, magnificent, beautiful thing.” - Dr. Aquino

Kapalika

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 11:21:52 am »
Okay, well that clarifies it some for me. The names are all so similar it's rather confusing at times lol. Maybe that's another reason this video should be made.

As far as online Satanism? I more so meant in general. My primary metric is how much literature is generated by them or about them and if they've ever been on the news or if there is any IRL profile. In some cases where they lack those but have made a very real mark in influence on Satanism by numbers or fame/infamy or something else I also include them.

I got a rough idea of how to break it down... if all goes well I'll start the research phase tonight or tomorrow.

Setamontet

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 02:20:14 pm »
I was a member of the First Church of Satan for a short time back in 1999-2000, I wasn't learning anything new or of any value to me from it so I left.  I was a member of the Church of Lucifer for about 6 months back in 2000-2001.  They claimed to be in actuality a Yezidi sect, which I found to be interesting at the time.  However, the CoL leaders began to argue and debate me about the magical significance of Darkness, and even suggesting that I was "misled" by the ToS.  I soon realized that they were not interested in diverse and independent thought, but rather were attempting to convert me to their dubious and quite frankly uninspiring beliefs, so I left.  There have been other "occultists" in the past who have attempted, in vain, to manipulate me and/or convert me to their bullshit.  :rolleyes:

For a short time I was interested in the First Satanic Church and joined the 600 Club, but soon I was banned for mainly discussing and debating my belief in the literal existence of the Prince of Darkness and certain aspects of Magic.  I found nothing inspiring or intriguing about them either, just nonsensical conflict for the most part. 

Also, for me it was the Temple of Set, my Initiation therein (1990-1993/2007-2009), the Setians I worked with, that really inspired and influenced me on a magical and spiritual level, and helped me to uncover the Truth of my own Being and become That which I Am.  Furthermore, the Order of the Serpent has also become a new home for me, and I have found a kinship and bond with certain of its members.

For ever in the Black Flame of Set!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:22:43 pm by Setamontet »

The Lesser Law abideth as the key, and the Shining Trapezoid is the door!" - Anton LaVey

Frater V.I.M.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 10:06:40 pm »
I was a member of the Church of Lucifer for about 6 months back in 2000-2001.  They claimed to be in actuality a Yezidi sect, which I found to be interesting at the time.  However, the CoL leaders began to argue and debate me about the magical significance of Darkness, and even suggesting that I was "misled" by the ToS.

Yeah, that Yezidi line they briefly tried to tow was bullshit. I never understood why they even attempted to say such a thing, as from all the material I ever read from them, there was never any heavy influence from Yezidism on their stuff.

You wouldn't have happened to have been fond of the phrase "heart of Darkness" around that time, would you? I ask cuz your account of your time there makes me wonder if an old article of theirs was about you. I recall some writing where they specifically complained about a ToS member who didn't work out, and I think they quoted whoever it was as using the phrase "heart of Darkness," and said that they bumped heads with him over the light vs darkness thing. It said something about the guy used the blackness of the night sky as some sort of analogy of what the LHP was about or something along those lines, and they said that their answer to him was to notice how many stars there are in that sky, and that the stars are more of what symbolizes their mindset.

In any case, the Church of Lucifer was, in my view, merely an attempt at taking the principles from the Satanic Bible and re-branding it with the name "Luciferianism" rather than "Satanism," with a few TINY twists here and there. I mainly only bring them up nowadays as an example of how "Luciferianism" is just as loose a term for a variety of Satanism as anything else, despite the dubious amounts of "success" that people like Michael Ford later had with trying to codify the term to mean something specific.

I personally prefer the wacky writings of Nate Leved's "Church Lucifer" WAY more than anything that Nagash's "Church of Lucifer" put out.

Setamontet

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 02:01:49 pm »
You wouldn't have happened to have been fond of the phrase "heart of Darkness" around that time, would you? I ask cuz your account of your time there makes me wonder if an old article of theirs was about you. I recall some writing where they specifically complained about a ToS member who didn't work out, and I think they quoted whoever it was as using the phrase "heart of Darkness," and said that they bumped heads with him over the light vs darkness thing. It said something about the guy used the blackness of the night sky as some sort of analogy of what the LHP was about or something along those lines, and they said that their answer to him was to notice how many stars there are in that sky, and that the stars are more of what symbolizes their mindset.

Yeah, that sounds like they were talking about me, lol.  Soon after I left, they wrote an article and posted it on the CoL website titled "The Truth About Darkness".  Aside from the "Satanic Bible", Nagash also considered "The Necronomicon" as a reliable source of knowledge and magic.

Regarding the analogies about the night sky and the stars, my answer back to them would be my own simple summary of the path and the way, "the Path of Darkness leads to Enlightenment." - Setamontet
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:21:04 pm by Setamontet »

crossfire

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 11:03:10 pm »

edit2: only reason i brought any of that up is that is basically my only exposure to the group lol. but ya based on their online numbers... not sure how I missed them.

The are LaVeyan Satanists with a strong liking for Nietzsche, Carl Jung, and Joseph Campbell.  There are a few of them in my Order, so if you have any further questions, just ask.

The founder, Thomas LeRoy, will be speaking at a LHP conference this month in Portland.
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung