Author Topic: A thought on my profession.  (Read 96 times)

Xepera maSet

A thought on my profession.
« on: April 04, 2018, 05:36:56 am »
I'm in the behavioral health field and it IS the left hand path. I literally sit in trainings noting how many things they say I've seen in LHP philosophy. Everyone is treated as a unique individual who needs unique things. Everyone's cultures and preferences are respected. Everyones likes and dislikes, their hopes and dreams, all is accounted for. Things like CBT, placebos without deception, self regulation, which allow for you to consciously and willfully recognize and  overcome something like the physiological symptoms of depression or ones anger , are BY DEFINITION greater black magic.

Anton LaVey, The Satanic Bible, p.60

"THE definition of magic, as used in this book, is: "The change in situations or events in accordance with one's will, which would, using normally accepted methods, be unchangable."

Dr. Michael A. Aquino, Black Magic, p.88

"Greater Black Magic (GBM) is the causing of change to occur in the Subjective Universe in accordance with the will. This change in the Subjective Universe may cause a similar and harmonious change in the Objective Universe."
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"Do we believe in Satan? The only thing that really matters is that he believes in us."
- A Nameless Ghoul

Xepera maSet

Re: A thought on my profession.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 03:24:14 pm »
Michael W. Ford, Bible of the Adversary, p.28

Magick is the art of causing change internally and externally in accordance with the Will. In the act of Magick one will use desire and intent to change something to a positive end.
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"Do we believe in Satan? The only thing that really matters is that he believes in us."
- A Nameless Ghoul

Onyx

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:30:27 am »
I've been very fortunate, in that my jobs have been focused on creation rather than destruction. Not only for my customers/clients, but my own self-creation as well. And though my band didn't succeed commercially, the years of effort poured into it helped all of the members evolve as individuals.

I'm glad I work in a medical field now - a new way to perpetuate Xeper for both myself and others. How "magical" is that?

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:46:30 am »
I'm in the behavioral health field and it IS the left hand path. I literally sit in trainings noting how many things they say I've seen in LHP philosophy. Everyone is treated as a unique individual who needs unique things. Everyone's cultures and preferences are respected. Everyones likes and dislikes, their hopes and dreams, all is accounted for. Things like CBT, placebos without deception, self regulation, which allow for you to consciously and willfully recognize and  overcome something like the physiological symptoms of depression or ones anger , are BY DEFINITION greater black magic.

Anton LaVey, The Satanic Bible, p.60

"THE definition of magic, as used in this book, is: "The change in situations or events in accordance with one's will, which would, using normally accepted methods, be unchangable."

Dr. Michael A. Aquino, Black Magic, p.88

"Greater Black Magic (GBM) is the causing of change to occur in the Subjective Universe in accordance with the will. This change in the Subjective Universe may cause a similar and harmonious change in the Objective Universe."

Those quotes are not defining the Left Hand Path though, they are defining magic. To equate all magic with the Left Hand Path would make the term meaningless since religions and philosophies that are definitely Right Hand Path also practice magic.

The Left Hand Path has a much more precise definition. We all have our own views on it but for the sake of my point I'll state that traditionally it is the nature of how the magic is done that defines if something is LHP or RHP, not the act of doing magic itself.

Also note that LaVey said "which would, using normally accepted methods, be unchangeable.". Psychology would fall within "normally acceptable methods". It would seem very much so to me that LaVey phrased it that due to the ambiguity of the subject, and defining it more as what it's not (mundane). I also think that the context of Aquino would be similar, otherwise all humans practice magic anytime they want to accomplish anything, which would make all humans LHP. This again all ties into my point that traditionally it's how the magic is done that defines it as LHP or RHP.

If we were to reduce magic to only  psychology, as you are suggesting, we might as well be atheists (not that there is anything wrong with that, I just don't think it's the whole picture).

Lastly, from the point of view of myself, having Bipolar and being on the other side of that profession, the client, I find psychology and magic to be quite different. Sure, magic builds off of psychology but magic is a lot more than psychology. I've have a lot of different therapists, psychologists ect over the years and never once has anything like CBT ect been like magic for me.

And since she was in a similar position to you, working in the field of psychology (she had a Master's Degree) and practicing magic, I think I'll give the viewpoint of my late grandmother. She never seemed to equate psychology with magic. On the contrary, it would seem to me based on the things she told me throughout the years that she believed the spiritual and psychological were on two different "levels" with somewhat fuzzy boundaries so to speak. Basically a venn diagram of magic and psychology. I have a similar view but just with the venn diagram in a different position.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:49:59 am by Kapalika »
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." -- Swami Lakshmanjoo