Author Topic: The Best Occult Comic Books.  (Read 1202 times)

NEMO 93

The Best Occult Comic Books.
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:14:12 pm »
While Hellblazer and Sandman are probably what comes to mind when people here this, I decided to make a list of comic books that are absolutely inseperable from their roots in real occultism.

First off, an honorable mention. Gideon Falls just started and while it's new and hard to say, it does feature it's source of horror as red barn in the astral you access when dreaming.

Nameless- Grant Morrison.

This comic is a true Lovecraftian terror that really captures the existential horror of Lovecraft's works in a way no one else has. It has a ton of references to real mythology and depicts Yahweh as an escaped prisoner from Universe B that's here to cause far.

The Invisibles- Grant Morrison.

This is actually where my username and magickal name come from. In the comic, King Mob is title that's passed down as a magickal name from generation to generation. Grant Morrison invented the Hypersigil with this by charging a sigil while bungee jumping. As a result, the book effected him and his reader's life causing an incredible ammount of synchronicities. It esentially functions as an initiation. The actual plot is about a group of punk rock chaos magicians leading a rebellion against the organization behind every single conspiracy theory. It's incredibly awesome and features so much references to real conspiracy theory and occultism in unique ways.

Promethea- Alan Moore.

An incredible comic who's art was so innovative that had to create a new printing system to truly capture the colors. Written by famous occultist and comic book writer Alan Moore, it esentially functions as a primer to all occultist concepts and it explains it in beautiful and simple ways. I highly recommend googling the art for it. He was inspired by a fairy named Promethea who seperate people would write about when they were unlikely to have prior knowledge of her. A new Promethea is crowned and instructed in the ways of magic.

Seven Soldiers of Victory-Final Crisis-Multiversity by Grant Morrison. Three seperate DC events that completely demolish the fourth wall. Final Crisis was the start of a unplanned event called the hyper-crisis that never came into fruition yet found like on internet forums thanks to 4chan speculating on the reality of fiction, a theme in DC works around this time. Morrison had been breaking the 4th wall ever since Animal Man tripped on peyote and saw the reader and realized he was in a comic book. However, he soon began to play with the "so below" and turned DC comics into this microcosm even using this trilogy has a hypersigil to make the DC Universe come to life with 7 Soldiers being the charge, Final Crisis the death, and Multiversity the manifestation and safe-guard. Multiversity has amazing themes of being careful what you let into your head similar to Nameless. Funnily enough, Final Crisis inadverntly led to a complete reboot and DC's universe is currently having a few year event/line called Rebirth.

Batman: Metal - Scott Snyder.  Batman is manipulated by the demon Barbatos to stare into the abyss. This unleashes qlipothic versions of Batman from Universe B, entitled the Dark Multiverse, that feature twisted versions of Batman he feared he would become if something happened.

Aleister & Adolf. About the alleged meetings between Hitler and Crowley.

Howard Lovecraft and the Undersea Kingdom. It's a comic based on the kids movie about Lovecraft but the art is beautiful. It's basically what I imagine dreaming about R'yleh looks like.

Aronofsky's Noah. His movie was based on this comic he wrote and published.

Jack Kirby's New Gods. Originally meant to be a sequel to Marvel's Ragnarok, Kirby left Marvel for DC Comics and founded their cosmic mythology. Jack Kirby was a Jewish man and mentioned so it is not surprising to see reference to Kabbalistic concepts. It's an incredibly trippy and well written and illustrated comic.

The Dark Tower. I'd suggest reading the books instead but Marvel is known for publishing good Dark Tower comics. The book series gets incredibly meta with the Dark Tower being the center of the multiverse and characters coming to our world to hypnotise Stephen King into finishing the story while he was in a coma in real life. This is way of explaining why everything he wrote since seemed to inadvertently tie into The Dark Tower. In addition this, it details the cosmic lore in King's multiverse and goes into concept of Ka, or destiny, in a way only Stephen King can. Also, one of the villians is an avatar of Nyarlhotep.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman starts off with an arc that's a parody of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn types but quickly turns into an anthology about imagination and it's relation to Dream. There's some cool occult concepts here and there but lacks reverence for mythology that his book American Gods has.

Fight Club 2- Suprisingly, yeah. Chuck Palahniuk wanted to kill off Tyler Durden for good. It's revealed that Tyler Durden is an archetype with a life of his own that passed down in men from generation to generation, from father to son, as old as the serpent in the bible. 

The Dark Crystal Creation Myths. Also, the sequel I can't recall the name of. Remember the classic Jim Henson movie? Well, his collaborator Brian Froud helped write and illustrate the comic series in which the rest of the world is fleshed out. Incredibly deep reverence to the hero's journey and campbell is in the original movie and it's love for esoteric concepts go deeper. In fact, you can find the kabbalah in parts of the comic as well as the official site.

Gris Grimly's Frankenstein. Technically an illustrated book. However, the illustrations are so prominent it's become a hybrid between comic and novel with some portions told in comic form. Any version of the Prometheus myth is relevant to occultism particularly the Frankenstein version.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. Another Grant Morrison. Get the anniversary edition with the script and foot notes on the back that explains it. Incredibly deep into Jungian psychology with occult references.

Lock & Keye. I've only listend to the audio book and while it's more of a fantasy horror, it captures the tone of a romanticized exploration of occult ideas similar to Neil Gaiman. Written by Joe Hill, Stephen King's son.

Wytches by Scott Snyder. Okay, this is a straight up horror comic and the themes aren't very occult. But the introduction by Scott Snyder in the first issues tells a story about adventures as a kid in the woods rumored to be haunted and not being able to tell the difference between hyperactive imagination and what actually lurks in the woods.

The Marvel Tarot. I haven't read this but I just found it.

Theories on the Marvels of Myth and Magic from the files of Ian McNee! Sorcerer and outsider Ian McNee has been plagued by disturbing dreams and unsettling omens. Something is not right with the world and he needs to know what it is. To gain insights into his growing unease he turns to his most prized mystical possession, The First Tarot! Created in the distant past, The First Tarot is mystically attuned to reflect and track the archetypes of the Marvel Universe. Can this 'Tarot of Marvels' show Ian what is wrong? Or is something wrong with it as well? Peek inside the fascinating and disorganized files of a Magician on a Mission as he examines the current concepts behind Marvel's Myth and Magic and adds a few of his own. How do the Elder Gods connect to the Four Elements? Who are The Get of Set? And a who's who of Marvel characters presented in the context of the Tarot's Major Arcana. Is Dr. Doom The Emperor? Is Daimon Hellstorm The Devil? All will be revealed...in the cards!

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Really, get anything written by Alan Moore or Grant Morrison and it will have chaos magick and occultism all over it.

One of the main writers on Adventure Time has a web comic all about the creation of religion and occultism:

http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=11

The Books of Magick-Neil Gaiman

Walter Simonson's Thor.

The Maxx. There is more about psychology than occultism. A social worker dealing with PTSD has a fictional world she goes too and Maxx protects her inside her microcosm.

There's really a wide variety of occult flavored comics out there that can go really in depth to it. It's due to comic books as a nature of medium, sure it's fiction but the lack of motion and audio engages our imagination to fill in the blanks. Some extremely meta fourth wall stuff goes into that and it's the only medium I've seen to accurately depict the concept of 4th dimensional beings. There was a huge influence of Gaiman, Moore, and Morrison in the late 80's and early 90's which were comic books punk years as well as when they finally became capable of legitimate stories to rival novels. This led to these themes remaining to the point where you may pick up DC Comic and be suprised to see blatant esoteric concepts in-depth. In fact, Grant Morrison cemented the Justice League as a parallel for Olympus. He even wrote All-Star Superman as a solar aduration.

I highly recommend checking some of these out, even if it's an issue or two. They can be incredibly quick reads. A of them are incredibly long to the point of their Omnibus weighing a few pounds.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: The Best Occult Comic Books.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 04:26:10 pm »
I have a sick Lovecraft anthology that has comic versions of some of his cosmic horror stories, really cool.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

pi_rameses

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:19:30 pm »
There are at least two Spiderman comics that feature Anansi in the mix. I'll modify this post when I find the numbers again.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

NEMO 93

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:12:32 pm »
@Xepera maSet I'd love to see those. Alan Moore rights a few pretty good Lovecraft mythos tales that's all in the same universe. I included Nameless over them because Nameless is a Lovecraftian take on normal occult and concepts. It begins with the path of the kaballah of the tower falling down and yesod merging with malkuth.

Frater Sisyphus

• Buddhislamic/Hinduislamic Occultist and anarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 05:43:00 am »
Ironically I've never read either of their comic books yet (laugh emoticon here) but both Grant Morrison and Alan Moore are both really fascinating people.
I want to read Morrison's The Invisibles and Moores Promethea at some point  :thumbsup:
"It is a lie, this folly against self."

NEMO 93

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 05:52:14 pm »
@Frater Sisyphus  Grant Morrison is my favorite comic writer like many others. Also, Alan Moore is objectively a GOAT even recognized by Time magazine.

Still waiting on Moore's grimoire that looks awesome he's taking forever to release.

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • 𓆣𓏏𓏛𓀺𓏇𓃩 𓐣𓂛𓁵𓆖
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 06:24:56 pm »
Watchmen.

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

pi_rameses

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 07:15:08 pm »
Dr. Strange?
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Frater Sisyphus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 10:04:23 am »
@Frater Sisyphus  Grant Morrison is my favorite comic writer like many others. Also, Alan Moore is objectively a GOAT even recognized by Time magazine.

Still waiting on Moore's grimoire that looks awesome he's taking forever to release.

I like that they're both huge Spare fans that have been feuding forever.
Something about Morrison's personality really appeals to me more than Moore.
Definitely gonna order some of their comics in the next few weeks  8) 8)

NEMO 93

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 02:25:09 am »
@Frater Sisyphus Moore's a grumpy old man (and he has many reasons to be) but it can be grating to focus on it. Also, a lot of his humor is very dry which isn't for everyone but I do like his sense of humor. Grant Morrison just has this amazing passion for comics, chaos magick, and life that's so contagious. They're both pretentious but Moore is a condescending pretentious whereas Morrison is like "this shit is awesome, look at this shit it's awesome becase [deep analysis of something simple like superman]"

I definitely recommend both of their comics. Tom King isn't as esoteric but he's been doing great shit on their level and Gerard Way is doing Young Animal which is inspired by their early Vertigo work but pushing it forward in a fresh way.

Frater Sisyphus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 08:30:09 am »
Yep, I think this is an accurate description of them. Morrison is really fun and inspiring to hear talk, it's the passion I think. He's great at public speaking (even though he mocks his own accent)

I find his comments on The Invisibles being a giant hypersigil to be quite provoking, the art side of Spare in particular (to emphasize how revolutionary he was) definitely points towards this being a kind of thing one could achieve (creating art using combined with syncronicities as a magical tool towards changing ones own entire being and lifestyle - aka, using it to initiate ones life beyond where the magician started off the 'operation')

I appreciate Moore for writing Watchmen. It sounds stupid to say (in this thread) but I haven't read the comic but I've seen the film (yes I know they differ, especially the ending).

Not sure i have much to add to this thread till I've brought and read their comics though........I will be back regarding that, hopefully in a few months  :P

NEMO 93

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 02:54:00 am »
Have fun with The Invisibles, it's a hypersigil that effects the reader's life too.