Author Topic: Love  (Read 1583 times)

Onyx

Love
« on: May 08, 2017, 03:56:31 am »
I may not "love" unconditionally, that is too risky. But I do "love" seeing people push beyond their limitations, self-imposed or otherwise. That is what motivates me. I can't Xeper for anyone else, but will at least try to provide an online environment conducive to personal development, and help in the small ways I can.

What is your definition of "love"?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:05:51 am by Onyx »

pi_rameses

Re: Love
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:50:06 am »
As it is difficult to define in and of itself, I tend to think of it relationally. Oftentimes, I find myself blending good attributes or qualities together. For instance, if I feel that I love an activity or a person, I associate it or them with pleasure or happiness as well.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Setamontet

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 05:17:49 pm »
I may not "love" unconditionally, that is too risky. But I do "love" seeing people push beyond their limitations, self-imposed or otherwise. That is what motivates me. I can't Xeper for anyone else, but will at least try to provide an online environment conducive to personal development, and help in the small ways I can.

What is your definition of "love"?

Love is a complex emotion.  Neither do I love unconditionally now days.  For me, to "love" something involves very strong positive feelings and emotions towards something I would defend and fight for its preservation, disregarding harm that may come to my own being in so doing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:16:03 pm by Setamontet »
"Ia Shub-Niggurath!  May the gifted of Set rule on a thousand worlds when that night falls on Terra!  When the stars come right again!" - Patricia Hardy

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 02:25:55 am »
I agree with Setamontet.

crossfire

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:14:29 pm »
"Love" is such a broad term.  What I consider to be love does not interfere with your mindfulness or overcome your mind.  Four components:

Loving kindness--to yourself first, then to others
Skillful compassion--it provides clarity of mind when activated, which allows you to be effective when helping yourself or someone else
empathetic joy--being able to celebrate ones own or another person's accomplishment without becoming jealous or envious
equanimity--evenness and stability of mind, lack of freaking out, calmness
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

Hammerheart

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 06:58:54 pm »
I think that love is a very deep emotion, present at the core of one's psyche. This means that does not always manifest itself in one's overlying emotions and actions. With, say, a family member, one will always feel love and kinship for them, however, the love can be suppressed by temporary hate, anger, or frustration. Regardless, it's always present.

pi_rameses

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 07:17:55 pm »
@crossfire Nice of you to bring up the four abodes. It has been an idea that impressed me when I read about it.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Kheper

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:08 am »
To Love is to will the best for another and to attempt to uplift them towards realizing their True Self. This is why "Universal Love" to me is lamentable, because the lack of differentiation makes the emotion nihilistic and trivial. 

To love a person is to promote their advancement and betterment, even if that may manifest itself in ways which makes others suffer or fail to realize themselves. An example being a man wanting his son to win the championship baseball game, which necessary means the kids on the opposing team must lose. 

That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil.
—Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil 153

The amorality of Love is what makes it so beautiful, it is a fundamental impulse to connect with the beautiful and spread it, an internal impulse, not from an external force or ethical imperative. 

Xepera-maSet

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 06:57:57 am »
I am bumping some interesting topics new members may have missed and want to see.

NEMO 93

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 02:19:41 pm »
To quote the Antichrist Superstar album "love everybody is destroying the value of, all hate has got me nowhere"

Deidre

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:32 pm »
You have to love yourself before you can truly love anyone else. I've learned this. I think that we all have standards...if someone abuses us, we shouldn't remain in the relationship, for example. But, you can still love someone from afar. Forgiveness and love doesn't mean you need to stay in an abusive relationship or with a cheater, for example. If standards are conditions, oh well...lol I'm not going to become a doormat for another person, ever again. I have in the past, and never again.
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black