Author Topic: Liber Isfet the first grimoire devoted to Ancient Egyptian Chaos Worship  (Read 358 times)

NEMO 93

Wow, this looks incredibly interesting. Even if many of you here are into anto chaos-gnosticism and anticosmicism as much as I am, I'm sure a lot of the Setians and Thelemites here will find the Egyptian imagery eye catching.  :) 

It's the featured text on fallofman at the moment so it has a full page, list of chapters, and interview with the writer. It definitely has my intrigued, really looking forward to the chapters on Set-Typhon and Apep. Given that the chaos worship and egyptian mythology have been close to my heart for so long now, I'm definitely excited. I really hope it doesn't disappoint.

http://www.fallofman.eu/liberisfet.html

Any thoughts?
"“I ate civilization. It poisoned me; I was defiled. And then," he added in a lower tone, "I ate my own wickedness.” -Aldous Huxley

Onyx

From the excerpt:

Set disturbs the linear order of reduplication...

Set-Typhon was the god who brought about abortion, this could be observed when Isis feared Set during her pregnancy. In ancient Egypt, pregnant women wore amulets in order to protect themselves from abortion, a phenomenon caused by Set.

"I am a Man of a million cubits, whose name is Evil Day. As for the day of giving birth or conceiving, there is no giving birth and trees bear no fruit." - Set himself in a Turin Papyrus

The connection between Death and Set will be deepened in the chapter dedicated to him, but it is noteworthy to say here that women who commit abortion were and still are sacred to the cults of Death.

I wish more sources were cited so I can better understand the origins of the author's theories. But they seem at least partially based on Plutarch's account of Isis and Osiris:

On the third day Typhon was born, but not in due season or manner, but with a blow he broke through his mother's side and leapt forth.

The Turin Papyrus was written during the decline of the Osirin era when Set was demonized because of his association with foreign attackers, and I tend to think the quote has more to do with that than abortion/stillbirth. Edit: I'm still trying to find the correct document.

I'd be interested in your assessment of the book if/when you obtain it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:19:04 pm by Onyx »
Arise thus in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being, for I am the same – I who am the Highest of Life.

NEMO 93

@Onyx  I've already ordered it and am waiting on the copy to arrive.

I have no idea about abortions but Set was linked to infertility due to his association with the desert which is represented in the myth where Set loses his testicles.

I've always theorized that Set-Typhon is a different aspect of Set as that seems very common in Egyptian mythology.

I've noticed that most Anticosmic works tend to be very inspired personal gnosis. Because of this, it's not always amazing interpetations of sources. However, most of fallofman's stuff tends to be up front with this and gives enough foundation in it's roots to make a convincing paradigm.

Ixaxaar and Scarlet Imprint are the grimoire publishers to go to for high quality.

"“I ate civilization. It poisoned me; I was defiled. And then," he added in a lower tone, "I ate my own wickedness.” -Aldous Huxley

Onyx

I understand that these books don't require historical accuracy or adherence to any theory but the author's own. Even works of fiction can be useful magically, when I was younger I used Simon's Necronomicon to that end.

But I'm always interested in how people formulate their ideas, which is why I tried to dig into this a little deeper. I corrected an assumption in my post above because the author mentions "a" Turin Papyrus but not which one.
Arise thus in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being, for I am the same – I who am the Highest of Life.

NEMO 93

I know you understand it, I was just pointing out the difference between publishers.

For example, Ixaxaar publishes Gullveigarbok which is very well led by personal gnosis but has the most incredible research and citations. It reads like an academic paper.

All the Fall of Man stuff has some decent research but really lacks a lot, it's mostly the author's philosophy. It may be due to the shorter nature of their books.

pi_rameses

I find his influences on the author to be interesting. After crediting Isfet of course, he goes into detail and namedrops certain individuals. The ones that stood out to me that I am familiar with were: Heidegger, A. O. Spare, Carl Jung, Kenneth Grant, Goethe, Freud, Charles Baudelaire, Dante Alighieri, Tolstói, Gurdjieff, and Gilles Deleuze.
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra
Nylfmedli14

mesubetesh

I understand that these books don't require historical accuracy or adherence to any theory but the author's own. Even works of fiction can be useful magically, when I was younger I used Simon's Necronomicon to that end.

But I'm always interested in how people formulate their ideas, which is why I tried to dig into this a little deeper. I corrected an assumption in my post above because the author mentions "a" Turin Papyrus but not which one.

For sure, grimoires are far from the academical norms (purposely, as is the case)

I have this Papyrus mentioned by the author somewhere , I will check if I still have it so I can upload it to you.

Anyway, I have the book and it is really rooted on historical basis, no "personal" gnosis or magickal fiction.

mesubetesh

This one is really a Aeon Breaker, mark my word guys.

I've finished the reading some weeks ago and it has marked my life and magical practice profoundly!

The research on the primitive  Ogdoad does not matter only to magick but to history/science/sociology/ontology as well.

Since the day I finished the book I've been researching all other anti-cosmic traditions (I've only read about the "cainite" tradition before) and it is mind-blowing to see the connections with the chief cornerstone (Egypt), (even in some eschatological parts of the bible! as mentioned by the author on his interview).

NEMO 93

I just got this back from my friend as I was taking a break from occultism when I recieved. I'm leaning more towards systems than philosophy now but I do want to read this- I'll probably do it incredibly soon.

I've looked at the seals and sigils in the back and do like the workable system. I've yet to use it but I assume it's incredibly useful if it's anything like Thursakyngi or other acosmic traditions.

Xepera maSet

I just ordered this and GAP - A LHP approach to Odism. The second was a PDF so I've checked it out, and I have to say it's pretty ridiculous and useless. Just kind of rambling. I'm highly disappointed and really hope Liber Isfet is worth the cost.
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"Do we believe in Satan? The only thing that really matters is that he believes in us."
- A Nameless Ghoul

mesubetesh

I just ordered this and GAP - A LHP approach to Odism. The second was a PDF so I've checked it out, and I have to say it's pretty ridiculous and useless. Just kind of rambling. I'm highly disappointed and really hope Liber Isfet is worth the cost.

Man, I've got this one too, pretty disappointing. The other titles I have from Fall of Man are flawless, except for this one, useless as you have said.

Xepera maSet

Man, I've got this one too, pretty disappointing. The other titles I have from Fall of Man are flawless, except for this one, useless as you have said.

I liked the sample of Liber Isfet, if what you say it true I'll try to get a few more. Would rather have hardcopy though.

"Do we believe in Satan? The only thing that really matters is that he believes in us."
- A Nameless Ghoul

NEMO 93

I wasn't a big fan of GAP, I think their other LHP Norse stuff was more decent but it's still eh compared to the Ixaxaar stuff dealing with Thursatru.

Liber Isfet is much better quality as is Chtonic Revelations and The Great Perfection Doctrine. I actually love all of those as some of my favorite texts. I've been waiting for some down-time to try Cthonic Revelations and Great Perfection Doctrine heavily influenced the philosophy of one of my paradigms(and my latest article). I haven't finished with Liber Isfet yet but I'm pleasantly surprised with the structure of it.

Xepera maSet

I wasn't a big fan of GAP, I think their other LHP Norse stuff was more decent but it's still eh compared to the Ixaxaar stuff dealing with Thursatru.

Liber Isfet is much better quality as is Chtonic Revelations and The Great Perfection Doctrine. I actually love all of those as some of my favorite texts. I've been waiting for some down-time to try Cthonic Revelations and Great Perfection Doctrine heavily influenced the philosophy of one of my paradigms(and my latest article). I haven't finished with Liber Isfet yet but I'm pleasantly surprised with the structure of it.

How long is it?

- A Nameless Ghoul

mesubetesh

I need to buy "Chtonic Revelations" it looks really interesting (and aesthetically pleasing if you ask me).

Did you check "Gulveigarbook" from Vexior 218 ? My favorite one when it comes to Rokkatru or Thursatru.