Author Topic: Creativity and Selfhood  (Read 2112 times)

Onyx

Creativity and Selfhood
« on: May 08, 2017, 03:53:10 am »
The realization of a creative goal often requires mastering new things on the intellectual level. While one can certainly pursue knowledge for its own sake, I find myself more likely to learn things if they contribute to a personal expression of some sort.

One of my varied interests is guitarmaking. Initially, I intended to just make the body and purchase a pre-made neck. In discussing this with a friend, he said "you should make the neck also". I took up the challenge, and though my guitars aren't perfect, I am more pleased with my efforts than if I took the path of least resistance.

Which creative pursuits have enabled you to accomplish more than you thought possible?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:20:02 am by Onyx »

pi_rameses

Re: Creativity and Selfhood
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:42:59 am »
This actually may not sound creative when I describe it as it was quite technical. But I work in a lab and I was part of a project that a co-worker and I undertook of our own accord. It wasn't something that was even expected of us but it piqued my curiosity and so I did. 

A former technician of 10+ years had a lab inventory of all chemicals and their corresponding locations in the lab in an Excel worksheet. The tabs were separated by location. I didn't find it difficult to use but on the other hand, both of us thought that there was a more intuitive and effective way to convey this information. And so we set out to manifest it into fruition. 

So long story short, it's been about a year and we have implemented a new lab inventory via Microsoft Access that is preferred because it is accurate and up-to-date. We are able to set numerous locations and numerous hazards for one chemical entry. And users can attach an SDS and TDS for future reference as well. Needless to say, our supervisors are in love with it and it will soon be migrated into the company via SAP.

After the experience, I have been looking to do similar work such as that. And since then, I have been considering transitioning into data science or software development as an option for me. It would also make sense to me as there are no vacancies where I work and there is a serious lack of promotion.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

merytseth

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:03:26 pm »
I'm also a musician, and I have done a lot of work in the theatre.  I have directed many plays and musicals, generally of the darker variety, and I have always considered the act of arranging all the pieces of a production - the props, scenery, actors, lights, sound - in front of an audience to be a magickal act.  

More recently, I have just completed my BS in Mathematics, and am currently pursuing my Master's in the same.  Mathematics, particularly my areas of interest which are graph theory, set theory (unrelated to the netjer), and other areas of discrete math, is often an exercise in creativity as much as in rigour.  I'm also keenly interested in the philosophy of math, and platonism in mathematics.  I've been doing some reading on the subject recently, and will likely be formulating a post on the subject here very soon.

pi_rameses

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:24:43 pm »
@merytseth Can't wait to read it. I can envision how writing proofs would require creativity as well as rigour. 
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Onyx

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 03:37:38 pm »
I'm also keenly interested in the philosophy of math, and platonism in mathematics.  I've been doing some reading on the subject recently, and will likely be formulating a post on the subject here very soon.
Read this the other day and found it interesting: http://www.math.harvard.edu/~mazur/papers/plato4.pdf
Looking forward to your thoughts!

Setamontet

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 04:09:48 pm »
As a musician and composer my music is of vital importance in my Self-expression, and the manifestation of my creative mind and will. What happens in the process of composing a piece of music, from its beginning to its completion, is a remarkable study and exercise of the Will to Magic, the Will to Create.  Some of my compositions begin first in my mind; a theme or themes occur to me and I will build upon them through continued improvisation.  Some themes occur to me while practicing either the piano/keyboard or guitar, and evolve by playing continued variations on the theme(s) and improvising.

Xepera - Xeper - Xeperu
The Self-Created Creator Creates Creations.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:39:32 pm by Setamontet »

"From the Ninth Angle is the flame of the beginning and ending of dimensions,
which blazeth in brilliance and darkness unto the glory of desire." - Michael Aquino

merytseth

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:26:13 pm »
@merytseth Can't wait to read it. I can envision how writing proofs would require creativity as well as rigour.
They certainly do.  A good proof is not only correct, it is elegant.  

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:03:15 am »
I am not very creative and tend to fail when I try. If anything I'm a weird fiction writer, though I've only written one thing that isn't garbage. Can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/2nwdpg/my_time_as_a_movie_theater_projectionist/

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-founder | OSM Founder
  • Administrator
  • uab Nekhekhu (Priest of the Old Gods)
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 02:28:27 am »
I actually do like that story, and I've had many good ideas and minor writings. Top of my bucket list is writing a weird fictional novel. 

"Do not try to make the sun rise by self-sacrifice,  but wait in confidence for the dawn, and enjoy the pleasure of the night."
- Crowley

Kapalika

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 08:41:05 am »
I do cool trippy Satanic music:

hm... do we not have HTML boxes or support for embedding soundcloud?

The Left Hand Path, Luciferianism, Satanism, ect are pretty big themes in my music. It's often a dark, ancient and forgotten like feeling so lots of mystery. Very Psychedelic, with industrial and metal influences. That one in particular is a good example of those themes.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:32:05 pm by Onyx »
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Onyx

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 01:30:44 pm »
hm... do we not have HTML boxes or support for embedding soundcloud?
I installed a mod for it:
Code: [Select]
Usage:
[soundcloud]<song url>[/soundcloud]
[cloudset]<set url>[/cloudset]

Km Anu

• O.S. Member
  • Never will his wrath or might extort from me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 05:36:45 am »
I enjoyed reading through this thread and thought I would share some of my revelations from my artistic pursuits to bring it back into our scope of discussion.

Creative writing- Something encouraged by my grandmother since about 2nd grade. In 4th grade I actually wrote a fantasy novel ( a bad one) that was confiscated by a teacher (I would write in class to fuck off. Growing up with ADHD am I right?). But I created inner worlds that are still with me today. When I was in Military school and then the Army I used to dive inwards when standing around in formation. It was like intuitive meditation and I woudn't be who I am today without it. When I turned to the occult from buddhism these inner worlds became my Aether, and to this day I perform a lot of experimental magic in them. It might be fun to write about these inner worlds sometime, it just doesn't seem appropriate for the forum to me, Idk why.

Illustration- My lack of focus made me a lazy illustrator in my youth. I've always drawn to pair with my writing but the focus required for an endevour felt like a rare window of opportunity that came far too infrequently. However at the beginning of 2018 I bought a tablet on a whim and began to use adobe illustrator to produce my art. You can see the rusults scattered around our art threads

Sculpting- I took pottery in 10th, 11th and 12th grade. I just wanted an easy art credit TBH and I'm terrible at working on a wheel, however I discovered that I can replicate just about any mental image effortlessly with clay. In fact if it wasn't so fiscally demanding I would probably sculpt far more often.

Poetry- I used to write in my journal in enigmatic poems, highly subjective expressions of my emotions designed to confuse an outside observer. Furthermore I used the languages of my old inner worlds to add a strange and alien tinge to the writing. I think I started doing this around the time my teacher took my book.

Runes- I don't study established runic systems, I explore those earlier symbols from my childhood that arose seemingly on their own. I still use the system to the best of my memory and expand upon it through sigil creation, re-using the sigils to define the desires they were designed to materialize. I know it sounds like just making up symbols, but these symbols have always been with me and learning about them has taught me a lot about my self. O.A Spare recommends a similar practice. This is probably my most Occult creative pursuit to date, the others I consider religious or academic.

I'm open to answer any questions about any of these practices.

How have your creative pursuits molded your practice and being?

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 12:39:28 pm »
I enjoyed reading through this thread and thought I would share some of my revelations from my artistic pursuits to bring it back into our scope of discussion.

Interesting how even this thread, which wouldn't seem on the surface very likely to swerve in such a direction, drew me back into the perennial debate about platonism versus anti-platonism in mathematics.

Creative writing... But I created inner worlds that are still with me today. When I was in Military school and then the Army I used to dive inwards when standing around in formation. It was like intuitive meditation and I woudn't be who I am today without it. When I turned to the occult from buddhism these inner worlds became my Aether, and to this day I perform a lot of experimental magic in them. It might be fun to write about these inner worlds sometime, it just doesn't seem appropriate for the forum to me, Idk why.

Could your inner worlds be characterized as mythical realms?

Platonism versus anti-platonism in the archetypes of consciousness...

Are myths discovered or invented?

Sculpting- I took pottery in 10th, 11th and 12th grade. I just wanted an easy art credit TBH and I'm terrible at working on a wheel, however I discovered that I can replicate just about any mental image effortlessly with clay. In fact if it wasn't so fiscally demanding I would probably sculpt far more often.

Could you share photos of any of your sculptures?

Poetry- I used to write in my journal in enigmatic poems, highly subjective expressions of my emotions designed to confuse an outside observer. Furthermore I used the languages of my old inner worlds to add a strange and alien tinge to the writing. I think I started doing this around the time my teacher took my book.

A lot of what is considered good or even great modern poetry seems to me to be intentionally opaque. That frustrates me, to be honest. If I'm passionate about anything, it's clarity. But I think the opacity is supposed to be an invitation to the reader to supply the missing information.

How have your creative pursuits molded your practice and being?

My main creative outlet is writing sentences. Not stories, essays, or poems, but individual sentences. Which is a big reason why I frequent message boards like this one. Writing sentences is what we do here.

Usually my signature text is my own composition, designed to say a lot in a very few words.

I also use sentences of my own composition in magic.
Slither whither thou wouldst.

Km Anu

• O.S. Member
  • Never will his wrath or might extort from me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 05:56:56 am »
Interesting how even this thread, which wouldn't seem on the surface very likely to swerve in such a direction, drew me back into the perennial debate about platonism versus anti-platonism in mathematics.

I'm unfamiliar with this concept, could you provide a summary and/or source material? If it isn't too much work of course.

Could your inner worlds be characterized as mythical realms?

Yes definitely. Alien ones. Nearly avatar style (avatar wasn't around during their conception)

Still unfamiliar with Platonism vs anti-platonism, but I understand archetypes in relation to Jung and other writers. I would say the gods of my inner worlds model some of my previously desired personality traits. And there are re-occuring characters that emulate radical aspects of my personality.

That's a good question. Discovered. That's how it feels.

Could you share photos of any of your sculptures?

Unfortunately I haven't sculpted since I joined the army 7 years ago. Now its too exspensive. I'm considering VR sculpting in the near future though. I've done it twice and its effortless.

A lot of what is considered good or even great modern poetry seems to me to be intentionally opaque. That frustrates me, to be honest. If I'm passionate about anything, it's clarity. But I think the opacity is supposed to be an invitation to the reader to supply the missing information.

Yes. creating pidgeon wholes into the reader's memory to stimulate the amygdala. Poetry presents a unique medium for stimulating empathy.

My main creative outlet is writing sentences. Not stories, essays, or poems, but individual sentences. Which is a big reason why I frequent message boards like this one. Writing sentences is what we do here.

Usually my signature text is my own composition, designed to say a lot in a very few words.

I also use sentences of my own composition in magic.

Condensing emotion, thought, expression, etc. is harder than most people think, this is an admirable form of creative expression. Please do contribute to the poetry thread with these if you'd like. I understand they are not poetry, but sound similar enough.

Hapu

• O.S. Member
  • Think for yourself shall be the whole of the Law.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 11:30:53 am »

I'm unfamiliar with this concept, could you provide a summary and/or source material? If it isn't too much work of course.

Plato posited a Realm of Ideas that was higher and truer than the Realm of Matter. He never called his Realm of Ideas "the Mind of God" but someone nowadays could legitimately call it that. There was the Idea of Man, the Idea of Horse, and such, but also the Idea of a Circle, the Idea of a Triangle, and so on through any and all of geometry's iconic shapes. Plato never delved into linguistics and how, for every word, there is an underlying generalization we call a "concept," but someone nowadays could legitimately invoke the famous adage, "As above, so below," and claim the concepts in our heads are the "below" while Plato's Ideas are the "above."

Platonic Ideas --> Concepts in Our Heads --> Perceptions of External Reality.

Mind of God --> Mind of Man --> Perceptions of Man.

Objective Reality of Mathematics --> Subjective Reality of Mathematics --> Subjective Reality of a Mathematical Universe.

There are world class mathematicians who think the above is fundamentally true. They think this primarily because, when they do mathematics, they don't perceive the experience as one of inventing, but rather, as one of discovery.

There are also world class mathematicians who think the above is bullshit, generally because they're materialists, and so, in their minds, the above has to be bullshit.

There are world class philosophers who come down on either side of the question, and the reasons they give are many and varied.

I stand in the middle. I say phenomena have defining attributes, one of them being number. Defining attributes establish the essence of all form and all function in perfectly predictable fashion. Phenomena manifesting without defining attributes is impossible. Defining attributes manifesting independently of phenomena is impossible. Is number objectively real? Independently, no. However - is objective reality numeric? Yes. Not just yes but hell yes. Bombastically yes. Non-numeric objective reality is the most impossible concept you will ever try to entertain. (Remember, one and zero are both numbers.)

Still unfamiliar with Platonism vs anti-platonism, but I understand archetypes in relation to Jung and other writers. I would say the gods of my inner worlds model some of my previously desired personality traits. And there are re-occuring characters that emulate radical aspects of my personality.

It sounds like you experience your gods as highly personal. Your previously desired personality traits. Radical aspects of your personality.

If your gods are archetypes, then they represent aspects of everyone's personality, at least potentially. Might this be true?

That's a good question. Discovered. That's how it feels.

Then your myths might conceivably have objective reality. How do you react to that sentence?

Condensing emotion, thought, expression, etc. is harder than most people think, this is an admirable form of creative expression. Please do contribute to the poetry thread with these if you'd like. I understand they are not poetry, but sound similar enough.

I'll post something there and see what you (and others) think as to whether it deserves to be called poetry.
Slither whither thou wouldst.