Author Topic: Would anyone want to work on Runes with me?  (Read 765 times)

NEMO 93

Would anyone want to work on Runes with me?
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:40:55 am »
I'm trying to commit to this system fully honestly. It'd be nice to have people to work through it to keep me motivated to keep up with you as well as discuss with. I could totally send you my PDF collection on runes for you to look at.

I'm probably half way through committing them to memory intellctually but I'm only on the 5th rune for meditations to internalize them and emotionally understand them. Trying to work galdr(rune song magic) as well now after I've been practicing reading runes in both words and meaning. I like to spell names out in runes and figure out what it says about something, it can be startingly accurate description when it comes to stuff like deities, I actually used Runes to choose my magical name as the formula for King Mob is extremely useful right now and it's proven to have effect.

So my work is mainly meditations to understand the symbols of it, and reading the books to aid in meditation, and occasional spellwork through galdr. I'll also meditate on bind runes and I'm really learning how to incorporate them in modern ritual and understand how to use them to penetrate various mysteries.

pi_rameses

Re: Would anyone want to work on Runes with me?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 08:15:48 pm »
I'm interested.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

NEMO 93

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:06:03 am »
@pi_rameses Awesome! I'm glad to hear it. I'll send you the PDFs I have tonight or tomorrow.

I'm currently meditating on each rune for 3 days as framework and find it very useful but approach it however you find best.

Interesting patterns really emerge when meditating. For example the first three lets really fit in with Nordic creation lore. Fehu- materialism, gold, cattle I see it was the first spark of earth. Uruz is manifestation, the Ox it refers to is the one that licked the ice cube to form, uh it was the first giant or mant can't recall and Thurisaz relates to the ice-giants as well as thor's hammer and can be seen as death  thus creatin the Nordic form as I-A-O for example.

NEMO 93

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 03:30:43 am »
I should also publicly list the books I'm working out of and studying.

Futhark

Alu

Runelore

At the Well of the Wyrd

Icelandic Magic

Galdrabok

Black Runa

Nine Doors of Midgard (althoug I eschew the Odian stuff)

All by Stephen Flowers/Edred Thorrson

Loki and Gullveigarbok by Ekortu.

Aifesjhalmr or hwowver it's spelled by Michael Kelly.

Blackwulf

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 05:15:54 am »
I have worked through the Nine Doors of Midgard and with most of Aegishjalmur.  You should also look at adding Taking up the Runes by Diana Paxson.  It is a decent book too, but if you use all the others you are fine, but is just another perspective. 
  Look at Northern Runes Radio podcast, it was run by Daniel Updike, Wodenson.  He is a LHP guy and has created the Damned Podcast. 

Runic meditation is what the Nine Doors wants you to do. I personally have found Mantra meditation works more for me with studying the runes too.  It improved my Galdr. 

NEMO 93

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 12:52:53 pm »
@Blackwulf

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. I ordered Taking Up The Runes and it should get here today.

I'm actually eschewing a lot of the Nine Doors of Midgard program as my current paradigm is Thursakyngi so the Odin stuff won't work for me. I did do an invocation of Hel for her assisstance last night as a subsitution for the Odian flavored stuff.

However, I still find the runic meditations incredibly valuable, but I work that runic yoga into it when the meditation needs something more. I think due to my personal assocaitions, I'm reserving the Rune songs for operative working only due to my association with music and sorcery which comes from DC Comics' Final Crisis and Multiversity funnily enough.

I've been looking for a good podcast on the Runes so I really appreciate the recommendation. Everything I've found Heathen flavored is not for me so far but if it's a LHP guy then it should resonate more.

@pi_rameses  sorry I never sent you the books, it's been a long week. Are you still interested?

pi_rameses

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 02:35:23 am »
Yea. Go ahead and send it if you can. I'll take a look.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Olive

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 06:21:03 pm »
I've been working with the elder futhark in a personal way - just giving them a chance to speak and doing what I can to listen. The ones I am using are carved in bone.

I know you're a lot more experienced with these tools, Mob - so I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind me asking.

Do you know of any connection or meaning between Ehwaz and Mannaz? I have drawn this pair multiple times when experimenting with close friends, always pulling the Mannaz. Is it accurate to read this as body and mind? Or perhaps less charitably, the mind and it's instruments?

An interesting variation on this was when two others pulled the pair, and then I pulled Kenaz. In the moment I read this as the human trinity. (Body - Ehwaz, Mind - Mannaz, Spirit - Kenaz)

One more thing - in researching some gnostic texts I came across several mentions of a runic language of 13 consonants and 3 vowels. It is said to be a sacred langauge with much spiritual significance. Do you know of any system that sounds similar to this?
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

NEMO 93

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 05:44:44 am »
@Olive It sounds like I'll have to research that language. I'm about to get into Gnosticism but language in general is a current fascination. I'll probably be able to point you in the right direction if you give me the time.

Mennaz is man. To me, it represents the potential of man and his power to accomplish stuff as well as the magical ability of man. It's not quite Yew, the higher self, but man as he is which is stronger and powerful enough to enact outer and inner transformation.

Ehwaz, I admittely need to learn more on. It's generally used for friendship(but different from Wunjo which is joy often associated to kinsmanship) but more as a forming or breaking of friendships in Galdr work and intepreted that way in divinatory work. But it's meaning of horse has lead some to associate it with astral travel So over all it would probably link to maybe emotions or more- partnership. The horse one rides is a partner, whether that be friendship or your Fetch(a part of the soul.)

I generally go for the Nordic or Kabbalistic views of the soul that make mind/body/soul categorizatin limited and inaccurate. I'd say my Kabbalistic views are a bias and not applicable her but given that Nordic views have a similar but not the same view of how the soul breaks down, I'd say trying to find runes into the 3 fold division is not helpful. While I'm far from an expert and am more of a beginner, it's also worth noting that the runes are known to have different meanings on different planes of the Yggdrasil the world tree so there is way more to these Runes then the simplified meanings you and I both know. What I'm trying to say is my knowledge is probably close to yours with slightly more reading- and I have no idea how flawed it is at the moment as it takes a lot of practice to be even an intermediate.

Olive

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:46:02 pm »
@King Mob Thanks for the input! And you're right about my trinitarian self imposition - it is certainly limited, but I think it is useful conceptually. That interpretation is just what came to me, or perhaps out of me in the moment.

It seems our ideas about Mannaz line up quite well. It is the self-reflective mind of man. The unique human predicament and ability. The limited soul. I almost want to call it intellect, but I also get a bit of that from Tiwaz. (Maybe it's just the air element connotations coming through.) Whereas Eihwaz the yew I would associate with the Will. Especially a strong will, a will made one, unlikely to be diverted or made stagnant again.

I have never heard the friendship association with Ehwaz. That's quite interesting, and actually sheds some light on the drawings I did where it appeared. I listed it as the body because it's traditional meanings seem to be mostly externalized, though I fully recognize the rich metaphorical associations self-growth, exploration, and the emotional bond.

Wunjo has not been reading strongly as camraderie for me either. It is joy, certainly - but also cultivated equanimity and even spiritual ecstasy. But certainly there is a unique type of happiness that comes from the company of good friends. I will keep that in mind, as my lifestyle has probably primed me most adequately to see internal and personal meanings.

Do you know of any rune or combination or rune that I can use to represent the Moon? I see the sun in Sowilo and Dagaz, but nothing that speaks to the moon directly. Probably the closest one in meaning would be Perthro or Laguz even, but it would be nice to get a second opinion.

I'm certain that you have quite a bit more experience than me, I've only just begun feeling my way through them and hearing what they have to say. I am intrigued, though. Drawing runes is similar to reading tarot, but then there is a second phase of synthesis - of creating words from the pieces provided. Do you think it is good practice to use the drawn runes to transcribe English or modern words? I have gotten mainly interesting results from this, but one that was rather strange and had me questioning my method. (The longest word produced in one session was the name GOEBBELS... That gave me strange vibes.)

I feel it would be more fitting to build words in the original script, but that seems fairly aleatory even with a dictionary of what words we've been able to understand.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:47:37 pm by Olive »
     Wandering companionless

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

NEMO 93

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 06:09:14 am »
@Olive  I'll reply more in depth when I have time but I'll try to reply as much as I can now.

The reason Goebbels probably gave you a strang vibe is because he was the Nazi Minister of Propaganda.

But I think it's good practice. I'll often do the reverse, write down a word or name in runes and then try to interpret it in how it applies to that name.

For moon, Laguz would definitely be similar as would Dagaz. Dagaz means day light but often in practice it means emerging into the night to be greeted by the day so think of it's shape as a serpent path between the Moon and Sun tarot cards. The other option is Menaz-Othalo-Othalo-Nathiz to see what that gives you. Or Laguz-Uruz-Nauthiz-Ansuz-Rhaido. I personally feel the latter option of lunar is more relevant than moon just on instinct alone.

Divination is great but it's only half the practice, I'd recommend working with them for sorcery too. With divintion and learning them intelectually and emotionally through practice and meditation, you can learn a lot but there's so much mystery to them. You often don't know how they'll behave until you use them a couple times. And then each rune interacts with each other differently hence all the rune formulas like ALU. For, example Ansuz-Rhaido may have each rune contain a somewhat different or radically different meaning than Ansuz-Laguz-Urochs.

So it's good to practical exercise to see the runes in action and study old icelandic grimoires. If that sounds more disruptive then preferred, well Odin did have to sacrficie himself to himself to gain the Runes.

Olive

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 11:10:59 am »

The reason Goebbels probably gave you a strang vibe is because he was the Nazi Minister of Propaganda.

Haha thank you - I did know that much. What I didn't know was why he was poking his head in my workings!

Thanks for the tips. I have never yet heard that connotation for Dagaz, but I would be glad to use it if I can confirm that. The last thing I would want to do would be unknowingly invoking the sun and Dawn in my Lunar workings. What blasphemy!  Laguz does seem to work well. You didn't comment on Perthro - I'd be interested to here your thoughts on it as a Lunar stand-in, in archetypal energy if nothing else.

Of course I have been getting a lot just from seeing the runes in action and in conjunction. Don't worry - a couple of old books and much practice is not enough to deter me... It's not my first mystery rodeo.

I'm about to board a plane, so I've gotta go for now. I'll post back here with any interesting insights I might have!
     Wandering companionless

-Percy Bysshe Shelley