Author Topic: Thursatru  (Read 607 times)

NEMO 93

Thursatru
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:22:48 pm »
I can't remember if I posted a thread on Thursatru or not but I recently began working back in a Thursatru paradigm again. Thursatru worship the ice giants and reject the asaer and vanir. I respect and enjoyed my experience with the aesir and vanir but my issue is I'm not sure how far I can trust Odin at the moment, and Freyja while I adore her is detrimental to my love life right now, I feel, due to the sorrow she carries.

Thursatru is a Chaos-Gnosticism current. I've began my rune meditations again, I'm still early in the alphabet but it's unlocked a lot of their mysteries for me and helped me internalize their meanings. I began with some meditations on bind runes from Gullveigarbok recently and it unlocked a lot of thursatru mysteries which is interesting, there's a specific bindrune that you ask Gullveig to reveal it's meaning to you. It represents Loki and Gullveig.

Also, the answer to why I trust Loki more than Odin which seems unintuitive is found in a Jack Sparrow quote. You can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Also, Loki while a trickster values brutal honesty to a degree, just in a different way. He's more direct than Odin in my unverified personal gnosis.

I combine this with the Draconian current. Hel I really enjoy working with, she's a good psychopomp to unite you with your subconcious. She's also a really comforting aspect of death, I find, rather than an intimidating one in my unverified personal gnosis. Jorgumgandr I see as an equivalent to APEP although I still need to do a direct working with Jorumgandr. My work with APEP is hugely beneficial. I haven't done Fenrir yet but there's a lot about werewolves in any LHP norse test in lycanthropy that use werewolfs to represent shadow. Gullveig, I'm not quite sure on it. Seems intimidating but clearly a mentor role. My pets did not like the energy, she seemed open to working and respecting boundaries. I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. But as a Hekate, chaos mother, ice giant type deal she's very great. Brought me knowledge of the void within in a comforting way as well as other stuff. I used galdr magic to work with her and actually sung the rune songs for the first time. A lot of people relate to Hekate because of similar archetypes but I find her much less intimidating and bossy than Hekate.

My current goal is to path-work through the whole Loki family tree as well as the runes and concentrate my sorcery on Galdr for a bit. I'm definitely gonna continue with my HGA work as even the Thursatru deities are supportive of it and it helps a lot. It's nice to have a focus again and a beneficial one that promotes growth and healing.

Anyone here ever work with the Thursatru paradigm or have any thoughts on it?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:15:22 am by pi_rameses »

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: Thursatru
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:56:44 pm »
Can't wait to see where you go with this!

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460

Onyx

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:00:06 pm »

Blackwulf

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 06:30:32 am »
Gullveig is usually in most people's views Freyja.  I view though Gullveig is also Holda/Mother Holle.  Both are goddesses of the Mother/Maiden/Crone Variety.  Holda is also seen as a giantess and has a positive side, but also a negative and powerful side.  She is also closely related to the rune of Hagalaz. 

I have worked with Michael Kelly's Aegishjalmur and the Draconian current goes well with working with Frost Giants.  I do a good bit of shamanistic work as well and travel the 9 worlds.    I don't work with Loki, though I know I have had his attention.  I work with Odin, but I have made contact with Frost Giants while journeying. 

Liu

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:11:30 pm »
Gullveig is usually in most people's views Freyja.  I view though Gullveig is also Holda/Mother Holle.  Both are goddesses of the Mother/Maiden/Crone Variety.  Holda is also seen as a giantess and has a positive side, but also a negative and powerful side.  She is also closely related to the rune of Hagalaz. 
Could you elaborate on this, please? Especially, I'm not very familiar with these goddesses, but from what I know of them, I see no real reason for considering them triple-goddesses. Gullveig maybe due to her 3 incarnations, but the others? And even in Gullveig's case, the 3 incarnations seemed fairly similar to me (well, not like we knew much about them), and she begot a child in each of them.

NEMO 93

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 04:50:36 pm »
I've heard of the assocciations with Freyja but that just doesn't make sense with what we have of the myths to me. Gullveigarbok by Ekortu makes a really convincing argument equating her with Angbroda. Fleshing out the triple goddess aspect is just a matter of linking what names belonged to gullveig as descriptors like every Norse deity or giant has. The Binah aspect comes from both her role in ragnarok as well as being a mother of abominations somewhat like Lilith as well her death/rebirth cycle that Loki played a role in. Giving birth to Hel, a personification of death, also links her to this role as well. In fact, when you take all of Loki and Angbroda(Gullveig's) children into account, something more primordial to chaos makes perfect sense.

http://balkansarcanebindings.blogspot.com/2011/11/gullveigarbok-by-vexior-218.html

Freyja seems to be more likely an alternative name of Frigg when we look at the myths and their themes as she cries golden tears when her husband Odh goes off to wander the world and she misses him. We have record that Gullveig took up the name Heidr after her 3 burnings as well and that she was burned in the hall of Odin. It doesn't just add up to me. 

Blackwulf

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:29:19 am »
I understand your point about Freyja and Frigg, I see it that way too, there is too much there.   The question I have though is why the Aesir/Vane war over Gullveig if she isn't technically a Vane but is more of a giant, unless she is a Vane and the reason Loki is blood brothers with Odin is they both married Vanes.

Marija Gimbutas was a lady that did a lot work with Joseph Campbell but focused primarily on the goddesses of Europe.

NEMO 93

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 04:26:27 am »
When I'm not knocked out on my ass due to flu-like symptoms, I'll reply with the relevant part of the book that attemps to explain the aesir/vanir war over gullveig.

Storm_oak

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 08:50:42 pm »
I was drawn to Thursatru about a year and a half ago. During that time I have mostly worked with Loki and Fenrir as they are the energies I need in my life. I have found them interesting and powerful in a way I haven't found a lot of the Vanir and Aesir. Or perhaps I never fully connected with those deities because they were not for me. Fenrir, despite being strong and associated with anger, has been very helpful in understanding my own anger, controlling it and using it to help me with the difficult times I have been experiencing.

NEMO 93

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 02:58:52 am »
Hel was really good for getting intouch with my emotions, something about Thursakyngi work really bodes well for know thyself, especially anything you're repressing.

Storm_oak

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 08:20:53 pm »
I'd definitely agree with that. The last year and a half has been about learning about myself and dealing with who I am and my past. The Thurs have had some useful lessons for me and I'm interested to know what else I will learn from them. I have to admit that the Thursatru view of the aesir and creation of the nine worlds was fascinating and I've been looking at the Eddas in a whole new light.

NEMO 93

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 10:00:10 pm »
I have since shed all work with the Nordic mythology but I still keep a shrine to Hel and a offering basket ot Loki in my house for when I do decide to work with them, and I keep in mind the principles of Muspelheim and Niflheim as I find it very enlightening and i have melded these properties into my Draconian altar.

I am thankful for the Thurs, and plan on working more with them through nature in the near future, but I have kept my distance while I create for obvious reasons. My acosmicism has taken me away from the need for them now and directed me towards the Dragon force and Hekate but I will always be grateful for what they have taught me, even if Loki is a bit of a dick(but a loveable dick that will come through once you learned your lesson- much like he does in the myths.)