Author Topic: The main goal and path of magic?  (Read 131 times)

Frater Sisyphus

The main goal and path of magic?
« on: January 30, 2018, 04:01:24 am »
Excluding that there are a diverse array of traditions that practice magic in different ways, for different reasons (spiritual or otherwise) and that there is both the LHP and RHP categories......does magic as a whole have any commonly shared aim or purpose?

This was prompted by that RF thread, which has got me thinking. 
For me, it's definitely about personal transformation and (to use a non-magic term) to find the eternal tao (and) my Will.
I don't presently believe in anything particularly supernatural, so it's more of a psychological practice that is very close to my heart.  :)

93/93
Namaste

Olive

Re: The main goal and path of magic?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 05:01:52 pm »
To me, magic is the highest expression of free will.

We feel that we have a big say in all of our daily activities, but honest observation reveals we are mostly ruled by our habits, routines, paradigm, and necessities. (Those aren't all mutually exclusive.) Magic is the crafting and shaping of mentality - and as I've said before: Mentality is everything, it is the road you're on, it affects what kind of realizations you can have at any given moment. When one uses alchemical technologies to transmute these subtle energies, she can direct the path of her own evolution and cultivate the will.

To touch upon your mention of the Eternal Tao - I too make use of meditation/yoga/mindfulness to get in touch with "That," whatever you might call it. There is a wisdom energy involved with those practices that is very transformative...  I would consider this to be a different area of expertise but it is decidedly supplemental to magic. This understanding will shatter your illusions thoroughly, and make you much more free to define yourself. Plus give you a working grasp of what it feels like to turn awareness inward (to the point where I consider meditation to be pretty much necessary for someone who is getting into magic for the first time. It can be ineffective or even dangerous otherwise.)  The only downside is that at high levels you won't be able to unsee the ignorance and blind folly of the world and the average person without reconditioning yourself, so many interests will start unraveling for you.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:22:40 pm by Olive »

crossfire

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:42:26 pm »
"My will be done"
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 06:10:53 am »
Magic has a goal?

I mean, I guess I have a goal when I decide to do much of anything... perhaps more so to me, magic is like living, you just do it, sometimes as a conscious goal sometimes not.
https://kapalika.com
My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." -- Swami Lakshmanjoo

Mindmaster

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 07:36:31 am »
Magic has a goal?

I mean, I guess I have a goal when I decide to do much of anything... perhaps more so to me, magic is like living, you just do it, sometimes as a conscious goal sometimes not.

Of course it does, it is a process of reinforcing the macrocosmic/microcosmic dichotomy and abstracting the user from the real operating process which is actually themselves. :D

In some ways, magic is self-deception, I reckon.

King Mob

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 03:52:34 am »
For me I take union with the higher self/daemon etc which in terms means living your life to the fullest and expressing your self and enacting your true will.
"Be goodly therefore: dress ye all in fine apparel; eat rich foods and drink sweet wines and wines that foam! Also, take your fill and will of love as ye will, when, where and with whom ye will! But always unto me."- Nuit, Book of the Law.