Author Topic: Maat Magick?  (Read 416 times)

Frater Sisyphus

Maat Magick?
« on: January 28, 2018, 12:42:16 am »
I've gotten mixed opinions from people who where more strictly Thelemites in the past about this before but I'm wondering what your (collectively) opinions are on this.

In Maat Magick (founded by Soror Nema, RIP recently) there is the "aeon of Maat", which contradicts the "Aeon of Set".

I haven't yet explore all of the ins and outs of Setianism yet but the Aeon of Maat is meant to take place within the Aeon of Horus.

Maat Magic is more or less an extension of Thelema (but hasn't been widely embraced as of yet), focusing more on the feminine aspect than traditional Thelema. It has it's own 'received' text "Liber Pennae Praenumbra"

I don't follow it personally (even though I am intrigued with several of the ideas in it). Nema and Kenneth Grant (the Typhonian Thelemite) were both very close friends and some of Nema's ideas are applied (and analysed) in different ways in some of his books.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:32:12 am by pi_ramesses »

NEMO 93

Re: Maat Magick?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:49:03 am »
I'm EXTREMELY happy to see this being discussed. I really like the book but I mainly love the paradigm. I don't nesecarrily believe it, but I do plan on paradigm shifting into it. While I am a thelemite, I'm much more of a chaos magician.

So Aeon of Ma'at doesn't nesecarrily contradict Aeon of Set. Aeon of Ma'at is a FUTURE aeon in which humans have evolved to the point of having some kind of interconnected conciousness. In said aeon,due to the interconnection we are able to leave each other free to do their own Will without interference.

It sounds kind of hippy dippy and it is. Typhonian Thelema isn't really popular in regular Thelema but it's worth it's salt. I'd say it's much like Grant in general, since he was the one who brought it to public attention, in that it's got some really interesting ideas but don't get lost in the woo.

Now what makes it really interesting is you can tap into this future aeon in the present. So the present could totally be the Aeon of Horus-Set but since people live in various aeons in the present anyways, like christians still living in the Osiran way- you can tap into a future current.

They use the psychic connection as a current for group astral work, and while I never went all in, I cribbed one or two things from the books. I like the book's idea of shadow work a lot, honestly.

I still want to paradigm shift to it one day and with sucess take it a stip farther, if you can tap into that future could you tap into the current in a alternate future?
"“I ate civilization. It poisoned me; I was defiled. And then," he added in a lower tone, "I ate my own wickedness.” -Aldous Huxley

Frater Sisyphus

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 02:06:10 am »
Yeah, I like Grant too but I'm not a Typhonian or a Maatian. I too am a Thelemite, more of a traditional one in many respects but I also draw from several other religions/traditions too (well, the nature of scientific illuminism and all......)

With Ma'at, just like you, I do sort of see it as a bit of a new age-y thing tbh. It is a hard thing to approach still, as I still haven't grasped all of it (much like I haven't grasped much of Setianism yet).

While I am a magician/occultist, I'm not one for superstition (and I like to keep dogma on the low side) - so a lot of the new age-y ideas I've read so far in Ma'at magick is just hard to get into. Still, I'm interested in gaining other opinions to help grow my understanding of it. 

I think Grant is more easier in general to understand then Nema. I know from the offset that Grant uses allegory and metaphor more than not, so approaching his books is more like connect the dots (literally).

But all of this (Setianism included), from my understanding explores the subconscious in depth (compared to traditional Thelema - which is grounded in it; HGA and all but far more vague about it (e.g. Liber 418)

At the very least for me (Nema/Grant), it opens some perspectives I haven't previously been aware of and gives me a very entertaining read.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:09:05 am by Frater Sisyphus »

Onyx

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:37:07 pm »
I haven't yet explore all of the ins and outs of Setianism yet but the Aeon of Maat is meant to take place within the Aeon of Horus.

Setians often consider the Aeon of Set to be the one currently in effect, however the individual is free to accept/reject this concept as they may. I have heard a theory that the Aeon of Ma'at is one which permeates all others, but I think for the most part Ma'at is treated as a symbol for what she represents.

Some define the Aeon of Set as one of destruction, and indeed mankind has proven its ability to channel intelligence and creativity into destructive devices such as thermonuclear bombs, cruise missiles, warplanes, etc. But as a single individual, I don't believe I can do much about that, so the application of truth/justice/balance as it applies to Xeper on a personal level makes more sense to me.

If I understand the concept of Ma'at Magic, it represents a subtle but deliberate attempt to raise spiritual evolution out of a sense of obligation to humanity as a whole? Is that correct?

I saw this statement quoted from Nema's book:

Once you comprehend your True Will and begin to work on it, you’ll draw people to you without conscious effort. Some will have interest in action congruent with your own, others will diverge, and still others may oppose you. In all cases, you’re obliged to help each one’s spiritual evolution, according to individual need. This does not mean that you should do other people’s work, or even imply that you could. The most you need to do is teach by example, suggest reading material, and raise as many questions as you answer.

Since personal Becoming is the pursuit of the Setian, I don't think the idea interests me unless I see some value in it to that end. I can't Xeper for anyone else, basically.

Edited to correct the blanket-statement that all Setians accept the concept of Aeons, especially in a literal sense.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:58:44 pm by Onyx »
Arise thus in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being, for I am the same – I who am the Highest of Life.

Xepera maSet

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 02:25:27 pm »
I do not actually believe in aeons, at least I don't think I do. If they exist they can run concurrently, rather than the strict progression of Crowley and others. I believe I read about the Aeon of Ma'at in Levenda's "The Dark Lord", and it wasn't of great interest to me.

I'll be following this thread though, see where it goes.
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

The stars don't tell the future, Donkey.
They tell stories.
- Shrek

Setamontet

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 04:55:14 pm »
I've gotten mixed opinions from people who where more strictly Thelemites in the past about this before but I'm wondering what your (collectively) opinions are on this.

In Maat Magick (founded by Soror Nema, RIP recently) there is the "aeon of Maat", which contradicts the "Aeon of Set".

On the concept of Aeons, the "Aeon of Ma'at" does not contradict the Aeon of Set in any way.  I do not think there will ever be an individual Aeon of Ma'at as her Principles of Truth, Balance, Justice, tend to permeate all Aeons, which chronicle the transitions in humanities psychecentric evolution.  From the Aeon of Isis - the dawn and dusk of ancient Egypt, Greece, the Mediterranean. 

The Aeon of Osiris - the period in which mankind sank within itself to gather strength, from the fall of Egypt to the dark ages of Christianity and Islam. 

The Aeon of Horus - dawn of the age of enlightenment, to the Utterance of Thelema by Crowley, through and up until the Age of Satan when LaVey Uttered the Word of Indulgence.  This was the period 1966-1975 ce, also known as the Time of Set-Horus, a bridge between two Aeons, opening the way to the Aeon of Set, which is just getting started!  8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:41:01 pm by Setamontet »

"O learn the Law, my brothers of the night - the Great Law and the Lesser Law.
The Great Law brings the balance and doth persist without mercy.
The Lesser Law abideth as the key, and the Shining Trapezoid is the door!"  Anton LaVey