Author Topic: So I am thinking of getting a tattoo in the future  (Read 735 times)

Sutekh

So I am thinking of getting a tattoo in the future
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:38:51 am »
I have been lately thinking about getting a tattoo for the future when I am perhaps in my mid or maybe early twenties, depending if I choose to join FreeMasonry.

I am still thinking this through which to me isn't any rush. However I have a few questions on getting a tattoo from an artist? From most of the videos that Iv'e seen, they say that artists tend to have a liking for a reference of similarity of their design to yours, If I am correct?

I know that it goes against an Artist ethical side of copying another's tattoo design, which I will never bring up if I ever come face to face with an artist.

My question is this, if I plan on getting a Masonic Symbol or a Bands name? Would it be best to print out an image online and show it to an artist? So that way the artist knows more of what I want put on? Hopefully if I give them a printed image they might give me some good advice before starting.

I also know that before one gets a tattoo they should research an Artist that does good quality instead of cheap.  I would like some feedback from those that have gotten tattoos :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:43:45 am by Sutekh »
"Our collective ambition is that the membership of the Order of the Serpent also serves as guardians of the Black Flame and collaborates with the Prince of Darkness in the Infernal Mandate of re-creating the Cosmos in the eternal glory of the Setian Will!"-Setamontet

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: So I am thinking of getting a tattoo in the future
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:35:00 pm »
All my tattoos are exactly what I brought in, including the errors I didn't notice so be careful! If you know what you want specifically bring in the image or have someone you know maybe design it (@onyx actually designed my last tattoo). If you just have a general idea, bring in a few examples for the artist to see.

"My step is great, that I may traverse the sky."
- The Pyramid Texts

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:38:33 pm »
As for cost my minimum has usually been $60 I think. That was just the lowest they charged for my simplest tattoo, though I've known artists who've given back some money or even thrown in very small but free tattoos. Always cash for tattoos, and go with enough for a good tip. My biggest tattoo was $100 down and after the guy decided that was enough and didn't even charge me more, so I gave him a crazy tip haha.

- The Pyramid Texts

Sutekh

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:52:39 pm »
If you just have a general idea, bring in a few examples for the artist to see.

Which I am guessing are online images as these examples.
"Our collective ambition is that the membership of the Order of the Serpent also serves as guardians of the Black Flame and collaborates with the Prince of Darkness in the Infernal Mandate of re-creating the Cosmos in the eternal glory of the Setian Will!"-Setamontet

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 11:28:40 pm »
Either that, your artwork, or someone else's.

- The Pyramid Texts

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 11:32:26 pm »
@Onyx might have my rambling notes on my Set tattoo still.

- The Pyramid Texts

Sutekh

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 03:20:08 am »
Always cash for tattoos, and go with enough for a good tip.

Ah, at first I was thinking about using a credit card as an alternative.

Onyx

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 04:27:40 am »
The guys I've gone to have an ATM machine right next to the counter, a not-so-subtle hint that they only take cash.  :mrgreen:

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 04:31:03 pm »
Yep, I haven't seen a parlor without an ATM. One with a fee of course ;).

- The Pyramid Texts

W_Adam_Smythe

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 09:46:09 am »
@Sutekh I know that this is an older post, but it did catch my eye.

One thing I should have included in my updated intro (though I guess that things come out during conversations that could be considered updates as well) is that I have been learning tattooing for the last year also. I am currently one step away from being able to be licensed in my state.

Since this is an older post, let me just ask, have you yet to get a tattoo?

If so, how did it turn out?

If not, yes, most definitely take what you want to an artist you have researched but also one who you can at least seem to connect to when you are talking about your ideas.

If you are talking about a design that is already in play for an artist to go off of, I don't see the necessity of printing it out and taking it in. If it can be found on google then during your initial consultation your artist should be able to find the image. At that point you can discuss changes that you may wish to make, what part of your body that it would fit best on (sometimes different than where you would like to put it), the size, the approximate time  that it will take and the price.

On the other hand, if you are bringing in an image that either you drew up or a friend drew up, yes, you will have to take the image in. Since most shops have copying and printing materials they should be able to blow it up or shrink it down as your body dictates. During this time, your artist may make some suggestions. Always listen and be open. Because while you think that the design is perfect, it may be on paper, but in order to properly translate to skin some changes may need to be made here and there.

As Xepera maSet said, be careful when bringing in any image that you know if there are any errors in it. Because while a good and reputable artist will also check for such things and (in most cases gently) point out a misspelling or flaw others take your money but not the time to check. What these types just don't get is that a) they are permanently damaging your skin b) tainting your whole perception of the tattoo experience, tattoos, and artists in general c) not giving you their best or your money's worth d) whether they fully appreciate it or not have sent a living billboard of how bad that they suck out on the streets to advertise them. Those last ones are also the ones that don't get how that they got a bad reputation.

I rented space once from a woman who owned a tattoo shop. Sadly, rather than artistic ability she relied on the fact that she looked like a model and guys would come in and pay her to touch them and be close to them. She never apprenticed under anyone, which she openly bragged about and her sterilization methods left a lot to be desired.

One day, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. When she had done her daily updates of pics for her facebook page, I was looking through it and saw a mistake plain as day. I kept my mouth shut to her, but tried to let this guy know what happened. He blamed himself because that was the spelling that he brought in for her to do. He also became angry with me because he thought I was making fun of him, even though I offered to be a witness if he took her to court. No good deed goes unpunished as they saying goes.

In the following picture, the tattoo that you can see on the chest (unshaven area) is a design he already had done by a more competent artist. So her only challenge was to do some lettering (which for my taste left much to be desired) and to spell the words properly. By now, you know that the error is in the spelling. I will also tell you that the words are too close together for it to be fixed. Sadly this guy was happy with the hundred bucks he spent for it.

Can you spot the error?

Onyx

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 10:55:06 am »
Another thing is you have to be diligent in taking care of it while it heals, I made that mistake, they fixed it up but a few spots still didn't take. The guy said next time I would have to pay for the repair lol.

pi_rameses

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 11:11:54 am »
Lol @W_Adam_Smythe that's just as bad as the "No ragrets" tattoo.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Sutekh

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 07:16:19 pm »
Since this is an older post, let me just ask, have you yet to get a tattoo?

I have that on my list of future plans, I haven't gotten a tattoo just yet. After all I don't have the money yet to afford it. I just graduated from high school, and I am planning on going to a trade school. If I make enough money later on, then that's when I plan on getting some of my body tatted.

Can you spot the error?

Yes I can.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:22:18 pm by Sutekh »

Mindmaster

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 09:30:06 am »
I have that on my list of future plans, I haven't gotten a tattoo just yet. After all I don't have the money yet to afford it. I just graduated from high school, and I am planning on going to a trade school. If I make enough money later on, then that's when I plan on getting some of my body tatted.

My wife has done them for a long time and has seen just about it all. :D

Anyway, save your money up and get some good crap rather than a bunch of mis-matched postage stamps. It also helps if you have a theme planned out well in advance and your tats go together. :D

If you're low on funds fix that first because if you get a bunch of little crap you do look like a cheap skate. :D It can cost a great deal of money just because of the time involved, if the artist is too cheap that is your biggest warning. If it's not working out to about $100/hr something is wrong with their work or their sterilization, inks, and needles. Unfortunately, there is no way to figure that out without seeing lots of their work, so do that.

Find out crap like - who trained them and for how long, ask for samples of their work that aren't photo-shopped, etc. Ask to see healed up tattoos, because a lot of the scratchers can make a tat look good before the healing process but the damage is done below the skin surface and the healed tat looks like absolute shit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 11:09:30 am by Mindmaster »

W_Adam_Smythe

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 10:02:54 am »
@Sutekh Good decision. The main thing is that you do it when you are comfortable doing it on all levels. Tattooing has been around for a long time and isn't going anywhere. Any kind of a rush to judgment (not only in tattoos) usually ends up with a bad result. I know some people just want to run right out and get one so they can say they have jumped in for lack of better term. So they can be seen as one of the tribe would be more appropriate I think. To that end, I am reminded of an old saying, "The difference between tattooed people and non tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care if you have tattoos." Plus, anyone who truly respects the art would rather see you get a tattoo that you are proud to show off than something you feel you have to hide or be embarrassed by.

BTW, good eye. Aside from the spelling error, notice also how it is off centered and the skin is so red? That is what you don't want to end up with.

@Mindmaster very good advice also.