Author Topic: potential cover for something of mine  (Read 329 times)

Kapalika

potential cover for something of mine
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:40:42 pm »
Just the first draft of it, pretty much what i want but I'll need to maybe redo the font due to the licensing of it  (and there are some edits I want to make to it) and blend it better anyway:

[removed]

Has the semi lowfii feel I want. No color editting I just got lucky finding a super misty / dark shot very early in the morning.

Does the barn invoke any kind of feel or implication/suggestion for you guys, or anything else in the picture?

Tryin' to get a vibe of "kinda like black metal but not quite". I guess there's more influence from earlier black metal rather than later in that respect.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:50:02 am by Kapalika »
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Liu

Re: potential cover for something of mine
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:50:17 pm »
Just the first draft of it, pretty much what i want but I'll need to maybe redo the font due to the licensing of it  (and there are some edits I want to make to it) and blend it better anyway:
Looks good, but I agree that the font might need some slight adjustments.

https://i.imgur.com/XdzQmL6.jpg

Has the semi lowfii feel I want. No color editting I just got lucky finding a super misty / dark shot very early in the morning.

Does the barn invoke any kind of feel or implication/suggestion for you guys, or anything else in the picture?

The photo looks pretty rural (duh). And, it clashes a tiny bit with the Indian-style font because it just looks so western. I mean, that photo could also have been taken in Japan and even in India, but it doesn't look like the latter, at all. But that needn't be an issue, it depends on what impression you wanna cause.
Tryin' to get a vibe of "kinda like black metal but not quite".
Only read that edited part after writing the above... with the power lines in the background it looks too close to civilization to really fit into the black metal imagery, but if "not quite" is what you're going for, then that might actually be beneficial.

Kapalika

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:14:47 pm »

The photo looks pretty rural (duh). And, it clashes a tiny bit with the Indian-style font because it just looks so western. I mean, that photo could also have been taken in Japan and even in India, but it doesn't look like the latter, at all. But that needn't be an issue, it depends on what impression you wanna cause.

Only read that edited part after writing the above... with the power lines in the background it looks too close to civilization to really fit into the black metal imagery, but if "not quite" is what you're going for, then that might actually be beneficial.

Most of India is pretty rural and they got power lines lol. Maybe the barn is styled a bit' western.

Maybe a more important question is, what do you think of when you see that photo, and what would you think if you saw that as an album cover? What kind of theme or vibe would you get? What kind of music would you assume is inside of it?

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Kapalika

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:18:27 pm »
I got permission and access t some pretty run down infrastructure near or in the woods. Stuff with like holes in the roof or totally falling apart. Also a massive rotting house elsewhere that might have good internal shots or might look in the middle of nowhere from the right angles in the overgrown backyard (a wall is coming off and there are trees and vines growing over it). Plenty of places for taking pictures of something in decay that either gives off a haunted or "someone is doing something really dark and evil in here' kind of vibe.

Granted it would be really hard to get the right shot of something that dark of morning's first light with so much mist since it's dependent on the weather. That photo wasn't altered in any way at all not even in color or saturation. The palette and lighting was just perfect.

Really that abandoned haunted/creepy feel I guess. I wanted it to kinda give an indication of the feel of my music but maybe my sense of visuals is off
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:20:19 pm by Kapalika »

Liu

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 05:42:54 pm »
Most of India is pretty rural and they got power lines lol. Maybe the barn is styled a bit' western.
Yeah of course, just taking about the impression caused by cliches.

Maybe a more important question is, what do you think of when you see that photo, and what would you think if you saw that as an album cover? What kind of theme or vibe would you get? What kind of music would you assume is inside of it?
Post rock or post black metal.

Granted it would be really hard to get the right shot of something that dark of morning's first light with so much mist since it's dependent on the weather. That photo wasn't altered in any way at all not even in color or saturation. The palette and lighting was just perfect.
I agree, this is a really good shot.

Really that abandoned haunted/creepy feel I guess. I wanted it to kinda give an indication of the feel of my music but maybe my sense of visuals is off
Dunno, it doesn't look creepy to me. A bit abandonded, sure, but rather depressive if anything.

NEMO 93

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:04:56 pm »
I'd assume it's black metal in the style of the second wave in Norway (the wave with Mayhem, Burzum, etc.)
"“I ate civilization. It poisoned me; I was defiled. And then," he added in a lower tone, "I ate my own wickedness.” -Aldous Huxley

Xepera maSet

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:39:33 pm »
Very awesome
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

The stars don't tell the future, Donkey.
They tell stories.
- Shrek

pi_rameses

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 02:32:20 am »
 :mrgreen:
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra
Nylfmedli14