Author Topic: What would happen if you wore an inverted pentagram to work?  (Read 583 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
What would happen if you wore an inverted pentagram to work?
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:34:14 pm »
I was thinking about this for my own job and I really am not sure. I feel like nothing could be done on the grounds of religious discrimination, unless you live in a right-to-work place as I do. It's funny, because when I imagine someone wearing an inverted pentagram at work I just imagine everyone flipping their shit, but I have no idea if that would really happen! So I'm curious what you think would happen if you wore a pentagram to YOUR job. I'm just talking about in the office, I would never wear a pentagram around clients just so that it didn't cause issues in the client-worker relationship.

"My step is great, that I may traverse the sky."
- The Pyramid Texts

Olive

Re: What would happen if you wore an inverted pentagram to work?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 05:18:31 pm »
That's a really interesting idea actually. I feel like it would be a good filter for the people you meet. You would learn a great deal about someone based on whether they are immediately disturbed, completely unobservant, completely uncaring, interested; if they give you a knowing look and nod, or even someone who laughs and says "Wait are you actually  wearing a pentagram?"

That being said, I work a part time job (mostly teenagers and older people) and I think most of my fellow employees would be deeply judgmental of such a thing. It wouldn't really be appropriate for the job, anyways. If you have a more mature work environment, I do feel that it could be an interesting conversation starter and tactic. Thing is though, most people don't know much about the path, or magic, or even real spirituality. So I prefer to use more subtle signs and only move into these subjects once I've vetted a person. Some people just aren't ready to talk about this stuff and others just aren't ready to hear it.
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Ave Lucifugus

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 05:37:56 pm »
Three outcomes:

1) I would be asked to explain myself

2) I would be seen as a metalhead

3) I would get fired

Knowing my country, the likelihood of the outcomes is thus, 1 being most probably 3 being least:

1) I would get fired

2) I would have to explain myself

3) I would be seen as a metalhead

Liu

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:41:41 pm »
I work from home via internet as a freelancer, so nobody would mind. Well my family (at whose place I live) would consider it a tad strange but they wouldn't have a problem with it.

Well, I'm trying to get a more stable job; the best would be if I could join some university project and write my doctorate thesis on it. I don't know how the people there would react, probably depends on the person. Maybe they'd ask me not to wear it when teaching, but otherwise they likely wouldn't take offense I guess. Really dunno. They'd likely recommend me not to wear it case I meet someone who takes offense. And probably they'd be asking a lot of questions and I don't like talking about my religious beliefs in real life.

When I worked as an assistant for a university lecturer I once talked to her about music lyrics by religious bands (she's very much into medieval mystic poetry and I saw some parallels), and in that context I out of necessity also brought up Satanism (not telling her about my own religious beliefs and mainly mentioning The Satanic Temple even though the lyrics I was thinking of were of quite different kinds), and while she had some prejudices, when I dispelled those she didn't really have an issue with it. I still was very nervous about it, though, so I didn't mention the topic again.
I don't have that job anymore, but that was for entirely unrelated reasons (namely, the university only employs assistants that don't have their M.A. degree yet as they are cheaper).

Not sure actually if I remember that right (was a while ago), but I think I have seen some student wearing a pentagram at university. It fit in quite well with her general gothic outfit, so I don't think people assumed her to have religious reasons, if she even had; didn't notice anyone saying anything about it.

Still a different situation do to that as a student as opposed to as a lecturer, though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:45:32 pm by Liu »

Sutekh

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:39:43 pm »
So I'm curious what you think would happen if you wore a pentagram to YOUR job. I'm just talking about in the office, I would never wear a pentagram around clients just so that it didn't cause issues in the client-worker relationship.

As I may have mentioned, I have never had experience in the work place before. But in my opinion I think that even though a generation becomes less religious they might be tolerant of other things maybe even parts of the occult. At the same time they are also hypocrites if they do not tolerate a Path of Darkness.

But in my honest opinion if I ever wore a Pentagram publicly at my school, then yeah I would be probably ostracized and loose my close friends. I always hate it on showing up without a Pentagram, because to me when you wear a Pentagram be it plain or a Sigil of Baphomet you are honoring the Prince of Darkness.
"Our collective ambition is that the membership of the Order of the Serpent also serves as guardians of the Black Flame and collaborates with the Prince of Darkness in the Infernal Mandate of re-creating the Cosmos in the eternal glory of the Setian Will!"-Setamontet

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 03:34:52 am »
I personally dont advertise my beliefs. Im very secretive about my practice for It is very personal for me. It also makes it easier to avoid people and their questions.

NEMO 93

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 05:19:37 am »
I don't work currently, I'll be starting an internship in the summer and they likely wouldn't care as long as I do my job.  The thing I like about my career choice is it is more relaxed- in fact you probably should wear older clothes cause it's gonna get ruined.

Now, I am a full time student and, it wouldn't raise any more questions than I do otherwise, college is for casual dress an my casual dress is gothy which has a ton of occult symbols. It may raise some eye brows but I don't think that I'm speaking too confidently when I say I can cause any overcome any problems it may raise with either my personality or intelligence.

Hell, I actually think I wore sweat pants with inventered pentagrams on them to my yoga class there a couple times.