Author Topic: How do you treat your altar?  (Read 759 times)

Kapalika

How do you treat your altar?
« on: December 29, 2017, 12:50:49 pm »
I know this has probably been asked more generally, but I specifically want to know how you treat your altar.

What I mean is, where do you put it and why, and what kind of attitude do you approach it with? Do you only go to it at special times? Or is it in the open? Is there any particular thought or mindset you have when you pass by it or do something with it? Is it just how you would be at any other time in your dwelling?

I guess for me the best altars I've had are either meticulously laid out and organized (in it's own way) or so kept out of my normal vision and living area that it kept a degree of novelty. Though that's been a problem for me as it's been harder to keep that sense of wonder and novelty whenever I become familiar with a setup, just to make a new one.

So how do you treat your altar?
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Re: How do you treat your altar?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:03:54 pm »
My altar is in my room where I'm staying now, it was in the living room of my apartment. Not sure where the gf and I will put it when I move in here next month. For me it's mostly just there, like one big sigil of my entire belief system. I don't pray or do much ritual, and if I do I do it wherever I am no altar needed. I prefer it to stay clean but in my room it's one of the few places to put shit so it's a disaster now. I never see it anyways though and won't til I move.

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460

Kapalika

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 02:54:20 pm »
My altar is in my room where I'm staying now, it was in the living room of my apartment. Not sure where the gf and I will put it when I move in here next month. For me it's mostly just there, like one big sigil of my entire belief system. I don't pray or do much ritual, and if I do I do it wherever I am no altar needed. I prefer it to stay clean but in my room it's one of the few places to put shit so it's a disaster now. I never see it anyways though and won't til I move.

So what do you think of how it's environment and how often you see it affect your workings with it? You say it's just there, so is it just kind of a thing you do or since you use it infrequently is it kind of a little special every time?
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmācāra

"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 03:10:11 pm »
I'd say it's special every time I look at it. Maybe not just walking by while doing something, but when I take even a second to look at it I feel very reinvigorated. It's almost like a center for my spiritual life, like a foundational point. I don't use it really ritualistically, it's more like a store of energy, one that refills itself all on its own. I can't say I'm very happy with it being used the way it is now, and I miss seeing it since I never stay in that room. My best placement would be a main room where I see it all the time, well organized, and with no foreign objects on it at all times.

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460

pi_rameses

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 03:23:30 pm »
Tbh. I have not stuck to one yet. Aside from the classic setup, two other ones come to mind.

Firstly, that the world (or rather my psyche-centric view of it) is my altar.

And secondly, to carry a portable one with me wherever I go. A secret altar. Some ideas are as follows:
https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/secret-altar
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra

NEMO 93

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 05:08:05 pm »
I have a few different altars, I have an Egyptian one in the kitchen of the house facing east(as book of the law suggests) in a Norse on facing North(as makes the most sense) with various Gods I have worked with on it. While these are more shrines, they can function as articles- I have a type of pentacle I use for rune work on my Norse one and store some magickal stuff on my Egyptian one. I feel like the Gods watch over the magickal items, in a way.

I also have a chess board of zeus/god I am using as a hypersigil-esque thing(when the pieces got knocked over and lost it was used as a altar).

I actually really don't have a main altar right now, there was one I was using the attic but it's too cold to go up there now and have come to prefer the sitting room as my normal ritual place out of tradition. I read in Heavy Metal that Grant Morrison uses a massdive encyclopedia on quantam mechanics as an altar since that represents the universe to him so I have taken to using a book with similar thickness and massiveness as well.

I also have my make-shift cheap enochian table made out of carboad I keep in the corner of the room backwards so no one sees it until needed.

NEMO 93

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 05:09:45 pm »
I really just treat them as anything else, I try to keep a separation between magickal life and mundane life. If I need to pray or do a ritual, then Ill play more attention to the one that is needed. They're sort of just reminders of my experiences and roots with energy built up in them for when I need to work with these things again.

Olive

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 05:13:01 am »
I have a blessed circle outside of my house - a disc cleared out in a bed of leaves over flat ground. Surprisingly it has kept its shape for some 2-3 months now despite having no structure beyond this. I visit it at least once a day, and speak blessings in it almost as often. This is where I most often practice my rituals in honor of the immaculate moon. Spatters of different colored wax can be seen in the center if one is observant. I do yoga here occasionally, and from time to time I like to come here and read old poetry during the day.

I have a few other spots that have this type of significance for me. I have a room that has walls covered in art and sigils created by myself and those close to me. It is decorated with objects that hold meaning or power for me, including a wicked dagger depicting a topless woman on the handle (from India); a vintage stoneware cup with a discolored concentric rainbow and a large crack (from Korea); a honeycomb; keepsakes from Spain, Italy, Russia, Alaska, Haiti and other places I've visited; my spellbook and my box of secrets; and in the middle my Zafu and Zabuton, upon which I practice daily meditation. I'm working on setting up a more formal altar here to have a place to focus the energy from all my little totems.

There's a fallen tree deeper into the woods nearby that I often visit. I walk along the horizontal trunk some 45 feet (a test of balance in places, there is no easy place to step off of the tree once you're on it) and come to a large forward limb with a split that is just wide enough to comfortably hold my cross-legged sitting body about 8 feet off the forest floor. I use this place for serene contemplation, meditation and observation away from the busy throng of the world.

Elsewhere in these woods I found a half-constructed shelter on top of a hill which had collapsed and been abandoned years ago. I righted the structure and found it to have a camouflaged tarp roof, wooden walls about 2ft high on 4 sides, and a mysterious chair left behind there which I sit in and survey the surrounding forest for a time each time I walk through here.
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

NEMO 93

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 06:20:56 am »
"I have a few other spots that have this type of significance for me. I have a room that has walls covered in art and sigils created by myself and those close to me. It is decorated with objects that hold meaning or power for me, including a wicked dagger depicting a topless woman on the handle (from India); a vintage stoneware cup with a discolored concentric rainbow and a large crack (from Korea); a honeycomb; keepsakes from Spain, Italy, Russia, Alaska, Haiti and other places I've visited; my spellbook and my box of secrets; and in the middle my Zafu and Zabuton, upon which I practice daily meditation."

While my house is currently a mess that I need to clean up to truly say I treat it like an altar, I realized I do something incredibly similar and do treat it in terms of an alter. The decorations I choose all have specific meanings, my house has become it's own sigil. Like a massive vision board, of sorts. In fact, some of my ritual tools have become worked into the decor of the house that makes sense, in a place where it can be picked up or contained by energy. For example, a darker tool will be by my gothic literature- I place where I can compartalize mortality in a safe way and accept it yet feel protected while still accepting it.

I really need to clean this place up, it's not too much of a mess; I've just feeling lathargic. I guess from keeping my temple/house space a mess, it is effecting me.

Onyx

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 06:31:25 am »
I have two altars with a third in the making, and leave them out in the open because I like the aesthetic and have some representational items that serve as reminders of past workings or accomplishments. There are two hooks for pentagrams but I typically store those away and hang other pictures up when not in use.

These are also creative outlets for me, but I don't think objects themselves have magical power other than how they affect the psyche, and I'm free to repurpose any item accordingly.

To me, any environment can be an effective ritual chamber if it is removed from everyday life. I often did workings at a hotel which had black curtains and cheesy 1980's aesthetics which I adore. Likewise, a simple hike through the woods can serve as a gateway into the "realms of darkness", or whatever you want to call it.

Setamontet

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:51:54 am »
At this time I use the top half of my digital piano as my altar.  The center piece is my Pentagram of Set, with dual Anubis candle holders with the black heads of the jackal on a human body, both heads facing the pentagram.  On the right side of the altar is seated on a black throne is Anubis; head and body painted black with long golden hair and modest gold clothing, and holding up a golden Tcham scepter with his left hand.  In front of Anubis is a small statue of the standing lioness headed goddess Sekhmet.  To the far right of the altar is my Leviathan essence burner.  Between the enthroned and the kneeling Anubis statues is my silver Infernal Graal.

On the left side of my altar is my ceremonial bell, along with my 9'' standing Ma'at statue with about an 8'' wing span.  In front of it a black winged scarab (Khepera) surmounted by two black rams of Amon. As for altars and ritual chamber you make do with what you have.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:54:53 am by Setamontet »

"O learn the Law, my brothers of the night - the Great Law and the Lesser Law.
The Great Law brings the balance and doth persist without mercy.
The Lesser Law abideth as the key, and the Shining Trapezoid is the door!" - Anton LaVey

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 03:36:06 pm »
Moving in with my SO I decided to ditch the set altar and spread it through the house. I never do actual altar work anyways.

Frater V.I.M.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:19:37 pm »
When I had the space, I kept one entire room devoted solely for ritual work, and that's where the altar was. Since having to downsize a bit ago, I now have half of a room curtained off with black curtains. That half of the room  contains the altar and accessories, and is never entered for any purposes besides rituals (or the occasional time I need to grab some item or book that was left in there from a previous ritual, or to check to make sure a cat hasn't fucked anything up if it managed to sneak into the room, etc.) I don't do external rituals near as regularly as in the past, but I still make it a point to keep the altar and its surrounding area sacred and special for when I do feel the need to utilize it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:24:13 pm by Frater V.I.M. »
"Let it be known that every man who delves into the arts of darkness must give the Devil and His children the due their years of infamy deserve. Satan’s Name will not be denied! Let no man shun or mock His Name who plays His winning game or despair, depletion, and destruction await!”
- Anton LaVey, 1970

crossfire

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 10:13:19 pm »
I create a new altar for each ritual if needed.  Oftentimes, I won't use an altar, unless it is a complicated ritual.
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 11:01:39 pm »
Moving in with my SO I decided to ditch the set altar and spread it through the house. I never do actual altar work anyways.

The bookshelf thing is the living room. Set and Horus too. Thoth is with the college degrees in the office along with Melek Taus. Incense shelf is the guest/music room. Maat is dead center of the house in the hallway. Pentagram and Lilith with the Serpent are bedroom. Extra space because SO doesn't have a lot of knickknacks yet haha.

https://imgur.com/a/868w6