Author Topic: What is honor?  (Read 382 times)

Frater Gaster

What is honor?
« on: December 25, 2017, 09:02:30 pm »
To you, what is honor? What is honorable?
"I know that I hung on a windy tree nine long nights, wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin, myself to myself, on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run."

- Odin

NEMO 93

Re: What is honor?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 09:44:56 pm »
1. Personal honor- knowing that I acted true to myself and for the benefit of myself and those I care about according to my own ideas

2. An illusion that's a commodity to be traded. If I am percieved as honorable, I am trusted. However many trustworthy many are scandalized with dishonor and some untrustworthy man have gained a lot of honor.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:52:42 pm by King Mob »
"“I ate civilization. It poisoned me; I was defiled. And then," he added in a lower tone, "I ate my own wickedness.” -Aldous Huxley

Onyx

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 01:53:54 am »
From a LHP perspective, I would say "honor" is adhering to and taking responsibility for your own ethical code, and it's "honorable" to adjust that code as one learns more over time.

A thought from the Word of Set:
Conceive of the Cosmos as a circle of twelve divisions alternating between life and death, binding all creatures save those whom I have touched. You were given powers greater than those ordering these divisions and extending throughout the ages of time, that with your vision and your voices you might exercise the Powers of Darkness, sending ever forth the Black Flame across the Earth and the expanses of time. Thus you are the Guardians of perfection and truth. Arise, then, and witness the wondrous creations born of your wisdom, even as I am near to you and the essence of my being is enshrined within you.

Moreover, I think exercising caution with (and maintaining respect for) the often dangerous forces of darkness is an honorable approach.
Arise thus in your glory, behold the genius of your creation, and be prideful of being, for I am the same – I who am the Highest of Life.

pi_rameses

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 02:01:31 am »
This might sound weird. But I think that I use honor more as a verb although it can be a noun also.

As a verb, I use it almost exclusively to mean to abide by a committed principle or something to that effect.

As a noun, more like reverence, adoration or worship but not to imply submission or bowing down in a RHP sense.

Also @Setamorphosis at some point, I would like to hear your take on your perspective on honor and justice.
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra
Nylfmedli14

Frater Gaster

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 06:35:51 am »
Thank you for the answers, and sorry for the lack of replies. I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

Alright, to me honor is adherence to a specific code of ethics, which is not (necessarily) dependent on culture. This code of ethics would be something along the lines of:

- Not killing innocents

- Not harassing the weak...unless they harass you first.

- Staying true to yourself, as King Mob said, which is more personal honor, but still.

- Striving to cause justice

So now what's justice? To me, justice does not equal to government law or even morality. To me, justice would be the act of consciously making a wrongdoer undergo consequences of his/her actions - these consequences should be more or less proportionate to the wrongdoing committed. The consequences, by the way, can never be 100% proportionate to the wrongdoing.

"I know that I hung on a windy tree nine long nights, wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin, myself to myself, on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run."

- Odin

Setamontet

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »
To you, what is honor? What is honorable?

There are some good examples posted in this thread.  Here are a few more;

*  Standing up and fighting for that which you know in your heart to be right and true.

*  Defending those who are unable to defend themselves.

*  Taking full responsibility for your own actions.

*  Leading by example.

"O learn the Law, my brothers of the night - the Great Law and the Lesser Law.
The Great Law brings the balance and doth persist without mercy.
The Lesser Law abideth as the key, and the Shining Trapezoid is the door!"  Anton LaVey

Frater Gaster

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 06:47:07 pm »

There are some good examples posted in this thread.  Here are a few more;

*  Standing up and fighting for that which you know in your heart to be right and true.

*  Defending those who are unable to defend themselves.

*  Taking full responsibility for your own actions.

*  Leading by example.

This resonates with me the most. I like this explanation a lot. Thanks!

- Odin

Khronos

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 05:59:22 am »
If it must be defined, I would put honor as holding true to my passions in the face of adversity and challenge without sacrificing the definition of my character.

However, honor holds within it an assessment based on mass market morals and ethics.  It is a loaded term, inferring lofty and high values despite being relative to the culture offering its endowement... rendering it entirely subjective.

I'm sure there are those who believed Himmler to be honorable as well.

It is a purposeless term tossed around in the arena of mental gymnastics.  There are better aspirations.

Everyone's a monster to someone.