Author Topic: What is justice?  (Read 856 times)

Rougue

Re: What is justice?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 12:55:44 am »
@King Mob

Thank you for sharing, I like this a lot.

Anubis helped save my mental well being when I was younger. Thank you Sirius.

The Rose of the Palace of Fire

crossfire

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 02:09:46 am »
To me? Fairness. Without bias and considering all evidence. Injustice is treading the rights of others whether it be their right to belief, practice, free movement or ability to live their lives in peace. Injustice isn't necessarily canceled out by justice though, and it's a little contextual. There's a general social contract we are all held to uphold not just for others' benefit but for ourselves as well. The, "live and let live" type of idea. I think it meshes well with individualism and freedom.

I see "justice" as related to "satisfaction."

This is, scary as it is, not too far off when it comes to criminal law.
Yes, there is a difference between just, unjust, justice, and injustice.  Just and unjust is specific to individuals, imo, whereas justice and injustice is a group dynamic, that latter of which is misuse of group authority.  Your mileage may vary.
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

Olive

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 03:41:46 am »
I think love, respect and charity are commendable, ethical even. But the problem with Justice is that it implies something more general, something natural to the cycle of life. Of course, when we look at this world we run into immediate problems with trying to form a concept of justice because anything goes here. All creatures strive to devour and consume other living things in order to extend their own time for the briefest of measures. Every animal is a hunter and is in turn hunted incessantly. Always and everywhere where life is, the cries of suffering and sacrifice are on the wind. Our species is no exception to this - in fact we add treachery and deceit and bewilderment on top of it. We use what power we do have to enslave the world to our own ends, and despite the comfort this generates we live lives of little joy. Every person from childhood on experiences pain and sorrow and disappointment and disease. Ultimately the saint and sinner, the wise and the foolish all meet the same fate.

"He who performs an act or causes an act to be performed ........he who destroys life, the thief, the housebreaker, the plunderer, the highwayman, the adulterer and the liar......... commits no sin. Even if with a razor-sharp discus a man were to reduce all the life on earth to a single heap of flesh he would commit no sin, neither would sin approach him....." -Purana Kassapa ~450 BCE

Basically, nothing is holy here. If there is any such thing as goodness and righteousness, it does not come from the patterns of this world but from somewhere else - that being within us. Therefore any such standardized system of justice will be subjective, incomplete and in some cases intellectually stultifying. I think it becomes a more manageable task to aspire to act justly, rather than to define justice. I think simply that if someone acts from a place of mindfulness and consciousness, whatsoever they do will be just. It is hard to willingly commit many evils if one is not deluded or acting unconsciously. That makes mindfulness the only real virtue, but it produces compassion and love.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:18:25 am by Olive »
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 12:58:30 am »
Bump

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460