Author Topic: Practical Benefits of Western Ceremonial Paradigm: Elemental Work.  (Read 402 times)

NEMO 93

Now, I don't mean evoking elementals- Well, I do but I will get to that later. I just finished a yoga session- which was everything I needed for a sort of system reset and it reminded me of the benefit of this particular paradigm: Balance.

Balance need not be a RHP or Middle Path Ying/Yang thing- although that kind of philosophy does go into yoga from my understanding and would therefore cause alchemical changes to the body when used as a Western Ceremonial Paradigm.

Whether you're LHP or RHP, you tend to cast a circle. RHP for protection from outside sources, LHP to channel your energy. In "truth", probably a bit of both in pratice- it seems to represent the aura of the magician. In both paths, this aura seems to be surrunded by the elementals. Not just in any particular way- but as a way to balance each other out.

Now, Crowley gave the most simplified versions of the magickal tools and elements to let us know which each represents.

Wand-Fire-Will

Cup-Water-Emotion

Athame-Air-Intellect

Pentacle-Earth-Physical world

I'm not going to talk about constructing a ritual with these tools, instead I'm gonna be talking about effecting the microcosm- without ritual. Within this paradigm, you NEED to keep each of these faculties completely sharp. It happens to be my opinion that doing this will help channel one's willpower to accomplish their goals (making it very useful to the LHP).

Earth- Exercise. My favorite happens to be Yoga because while it's focused on Earth- it really helps to strengthen other elements properly when performed right. Because of this, Yoga helps one to see how these elements interact with and support each other.

But you can do anything, stay in reasonable physical condition. Be mindful of your diet (not how it effects your body but perhaps your mood and ability to function- a big thanksgiving dinner may provide contenemtn in water but slugishness in earth), and take care of your enviroment.

Air- Reading is a great way but any analytical exercise. I like to play chess. Modern strategy video-games can be useful. You should make it a habit to careful think through situations before acting- mindfulness exercises are good here as well.

Fire- your will power. I'm gonna use the trope true will but not in the mystical sense. Think of it this way, you know how people get drunk and call their exes and then regret in the morning? Sure, they're doing what they want and will; but they're not doing what you REALLY want to do. Get in touch with what you REALLY want to desire- you can already see how air interacts with this element.

Then learn how to enact it. Whether it be magick, mundane means, manipulation, whatever. Learn how to do it and make changes in line with your will (this is fire affecting earth). Just make sure you feel okay and good about your methods (water).

Water- Emotional well being. You need to feel okay about yourself. It's known that depression can decrease motivation (earth and fire). Try to feel as good about yourself as you can. Not "happy", good. That you're doing okay and being in line with who you want to be. Make reasonable choices and the other actions can help with this but there's multiple other LHP and RHP ways to change how you view yourself.

How this might look put into effort:

Schedule a regular yoga and meditiation practice putting into practice awareness of body and mindfulness of thoughts (earth and air), put yourself on a healthy diet avoiding preservatives and other junk (earth and water)- you could even use this as motivation to cook for yourself which in turn helps earth in water by learning a new skill and feeling good for doing so, play chess to keep the mind fresh and thinking ahead (air), and keep a dream journal to stay in touch with your subconscious (water). With natural practice with this, you will find yourself having these elements strengthened within your microcosm- maybe you might avoid a fight with a loved next-time because your air is strengthened enough to think ahead and water is strong enough to be in tune with *why* you feel this way- leaving you knowing how to address this issue without externalizing it on someone else.

I know this is really basic stuff, but NOT all of us follow a ceremonial path so I figured I would share it for those who don't. Also, it's always tempting to get hung up on the spirit element and forget the small things we put into practice each day. I know I'm guilty as charged, so it's good to have that reminder. Speaking of spirit element, I mentioned evocations? What's spirit for? Know thyself.

In the Western Occultism paradigm, the maxim "as above, so below. as within, so without" is popular. So what does this mean? For example, if you bind demons- you bind your personal demons. Chaos magic has eschewed working with others grimoires to bind their own personal demons with stripped down methods, for example.

Crowley once said ""My adepts stand upright; their head above the heavens, their feet below the hells."

So if we define the hells as hinderence to one's willpower, then we define heavens as stuff that truly motivates one. So each Element breaks down into four elements(earth of water, fire of water, water of water, and air of water). Golden Dawn adapted the Enochian Tablets into this elemental paradigm. So one would evoke the angels in the air section of the water tablet- to learn about them and how to identify them in one's own microcosm.

I like to put it this way "Imagine you're a car, you have the check engine light on so you know somethings not right. its hard to look inside you so you'd see what feels wrong then take those parts out and place them outside- hmmm this wire looks like it's leaking- I'll have to remember how to stay mindful of that."

Now, I totally understand many people not being comfortable working with angels and angles- there's other elementals including instructions for making your own in a chaos magick paradigm. You can use these to the same ends. All the fancy garbs and props- enochian tables and tablets, goetic circles, and what not are just means of building a representation of microcosm so you can explore it as your own God. A lot of times, specific constructions of tools are blinds- (such as saying you need the skin of a lion) BUT other times, they serve to cause alchemical changes to how you percieve your micrcosom.

This all comes together in ritual time when they work together- and it's such an amazing thrill to find out how strong your microsmic elements are when pushed to be at their best. I think this is why LHP promotes getting out of your comfort zone- because you need to constantly push yourself to be stronger.

Even if you're not a ceremonial magician, hopefully it gave you something to think about- in regards to stuff like mindfulness which is important to almost everyone's paths :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:55:17 pm by pi_ramesses »

pi_rameses

Re: Practical Benefits of Western Ceremonial Paradigm: Elemental Work.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 07:17:03 pm »
But you can do anything, stay in reasonable physical condition. Be mindful of your diet (not how it effects your body but perhaps your mood and ability to function- a big thanksgiving dinner may provide contenemtn in water but slugishness in earth), and take care of your enviroment.

@King Mob What were you saying here at this part? Is it contentment?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:09:56 am by pi_ramesses »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

NEMO 93

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:42:19 am »
Er, yeah- contentment. Sorry for all the typos I make, I'm usually exhausted when I make longer posts or in a hurry for shorter ones.

pi_rameses

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 03:46:46 am »
Er, yeah- contentment. Sorry for all the typos I make, I'm usually exhausted when I make longer posts or in a hurry for shorter ones.

No worries. Just checking if I understood you correctly.
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 04:14:35 pm »
Bump

"My step is great, that I may traverse the sky."
- The Pyramid Texts