Author Topic: Wish List  (Read 1692 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Wish List
« on: November 15, 2017, 06:34:26 am »
This is a wish-list for what forum members may want both from the forums and the O.S. in general. Sections in the forum, specific topics in the newsletter, additions to the library, design recommendations, literally anything you can think of to import of forum and Order. We want everyone to know how much we appreciate and are pleased by your participation and enjoyment of the forum!

"My step is great, that I may traverse the sky."
- The Pyramid Texts

pi_rameses

Re: Wish List
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:58:49 am »
Silly idea but I'll start a thread on it under here: http://orderoftheserpent.org/forum/index.php?topic=475.0
An index of abbreviations that we throw in posts, assuming everyone knows what it means. Not to be confused with more common abbreviations. Rather those that are unique to LHP and our forums. It's all in good humor so it's not to be taken too seriously as marital law. Anyone may still do as they will. Some examples:

HGA - holy guardian angel
GBM - greater black magic
X&R - Xeper and Remanifest
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:42:25 am by pi_ramesses »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

pi_rameses

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 01:35:22 pm »
I would like to propose another book for the list of books in the library: A Sourcebook in Indian Philosophy by Radhakrishnan and Moore. It has been a book that I've owned twice over and each time, I ended up giving it to someone else as they found it resourceful for themselves. I'll have to get it for a third time.

It was the first book whence I familiarized myself with the six orthodox schools of thought in Hinduism (Nyaya-Vaisesika and Vedanta included) and the heterodox thoughts like Buddhism and Jainism. I don't have a PDF but here are some links that relate to the work:

Radhakrishnan Bio
https://www.iep.utm.edu/radhakri/#SH5a

Indian Philosophy Vol. 1
https://archive.org/details/IndianPhilosophyVol.1
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:44:14 pm by pi_rameses »
"Some say Kos, others Kosm.
As you did for the vacuous Rom,
grant us eyes.
Grant us eyes."

-Micolash, Host of the Nightmare

Deidre

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 05:58:22 pm »
I’d like to request a notification feature to let us know when someone replies to a post/thread or offers a “like.” That way I know who to reply to without appearing like I’m ignoring them lol :D

It gets hard to keep track of where you posted last. TIA OS Staff!
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 06:21:53 pm »
I would love that too haha.

"My step is great, that I may traverse the sky."
- The Pyramid Texts

Onyx

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 10:33:34 am »
I apologize for the lack of alerts (and my lack of keeping up with stuff, been very busy).

You can have email notifications sent by clicking "notify" on each board (and child boards), settings for that are in the "Notifications" section of your profile.

As much as I like the dark aesthetic, this thing kinda needs a rehaul. Many people use mobile devices etc. After work I'll post more about how we might improve things, running late..

Onyx

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:50 am »
I found a couple of mods that should provide better alerts for posts/likes etc. I'll do this when I have some extra money. The other issue is the theme, I own a much better one, but don't like the aesthetic. You can see a forum based on these things here:

https://www.smfpacks.com/forum/

I would prefer that but it's almost impossible to modify it to a dark theme (i've tried). I'll ask the programmer about what's involved there though, maybe there is an easier way.

Kapalika

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:14:07 am »
It might be worth considering jumping from Simple Machines to some another forum software if it means we can customize it easier more with better options and get the features we need/want, in regards to above. I know PHPbb is really good for mobile devices and always has a ton of plugins. I don't know out of the box if it supports all our needs though. I've not really run the software side of a forum before so I got no idea how much trouble it might be to migrate the database and if likes/pms/ect would be lost or whatever.
https://kapalika.com

My religion is Satanism & Kashmir Shaivism via Vāmācāra

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Deidre

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 02:05:54 am »
I apologize for the lack of alerts (and my lack of keeping up with stuff, been very busy).

You can have email notifications sent by clicking "notify" on each board (and child boards), settings for that are in the "Notifications" section of your profile.

As much as I like the dark aesthetic, this thing kinda needs a rehaul. Many people use mobile devices etc. After work I'll post more about how we might improve things, running late..
I love the dark ''skin'' of this site.
"Don't look for riches, look for rich experiences." - Lucian Black

Olive

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 04:14:55 am »
I like the look of the place too, no doubt!

I have one major request for the site and one minor.

#1 - Could we please add a spoiler function like most other forums have? There have been times when I have wanted to quote excerpts in posts but didn't want to stretch them out. Especially with big opening posts that need to hold a lot of information, being able to spoiler off certain sections makes everything much more readable and approachable. That way other users won't have to scroll through walls of text to try and pick out what they have time to read, or to spend extra time scrolling to the replies.

#2 (minor, unnecessary) - I think the look of the "Post Reply" screen would feel significantly better if the entry textbox was about 50% longer on the screen. It is fine on mobile but on PC it feels like I am looking through a little slat in the door towards the huge page of text I'm writing. I can't usually see more than about 1.2 paragraphs at a time. This isn't a resolution issue - that doesn't change enough to make meaningfully more text visible.
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

Onyx

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 10:24:53 am »
You can enlarge the post reply box with the little handle in the corner, but I'll make it taller, that's easy to fix.

I found a couple of spoiler mods but they are older and I'll have to test them. Changing forum software could result in some losses, like attachments, how videos are embedded, etc.

Reading threads doesn't look bad on my phone (I guess Chrome enlarges the text in the posts), but the index page is really hard to read/navigate. Since I have a lot of time/money invested in this already, I think I'll just keep working on this theme since people seem to like the aesthetic, and try to find the right balance for desktop/mobile users.

Kapalika

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 05:31:37 am »
Lately the size and formatting has been weird, well lately as in a few months starting sometime this year for me.

The most common thing is that sometimes the textbox when writing a post wants to make some of the text super small. It seems most common when backspacing and destroying a line or when working with copied and pasted text.

Also the forums seems to automatically double space text if I leave a blank line but then it doesn't
if
i
go
this.

But then I can edit and backspace the extra space so it's like this in relation to the line above.

So I don't know what's been up with the formatting if it's like a simple bug or my settings or what as I don't recall any of this being an issue in the past.

I know some people want different features ect and I was wondering if you ever got a quote for a graphics artist to make a similar or modern version of this theme as then it might be viable to go with better software with those features and keep our aesthetic. Just a crazy idea but if the community put in the donations to pay such an artist. Hell we might be able to afford getting better software for the forum if we got enough but I think free stuff like phpbb might work too if there is affordable or freeplugins for the features we want. But honestly I'm not sure how realistic that is with our forum size. If all goes well with my new job though I'd be willing to donate a reasonable amount of money to such a thing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:33:42 am by Kapalika »

"We have none but evidence for the prosecution [against Satan] and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French." ... "We may not pay him reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." - Mark Twain
"God and the individual are one. To realize this is the essence of Shaivism." - Swami Lakshmanjoo

Kapalika

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 06:26:33 am »
Also I keep forgetting... I know I talked with Onyx about this before but while I'm at it lol... https. I don't know how people feel about cloudflare, it's a reverse proxy basically. If we had the cache features turned off it would just be an easy free way to secure our connections to the server. I'm not a fan of caching for forums since there is always the situation where someone might visit and it cache your typos before you fix them  :o

My site uses cloudflare for security and privacy and I have no complaints about it so far. It's pretty easy to setup. They also have some paid options but I hadn't really needed them.

Onyx

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 10:56:20 am »
Thanks @Kapalika, I'll look into these things but am pretty busy during the week, and my free time is split between morning/evening at the moment.

Would you please tell me what browser/version you are using?

Kapalika

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 05:14:10 pm »
Thanks @Kapalika, I'll look into these things but am pretty busy during the week, and my free time is split between morning/evening at the moment.

Would you please tell me what browser/version you are using?

Chrome Version 65.0.3325.181  which I just realized isn't up to date lol