Author Topic: Altar tools, where do you store them?  (Read 102 times)

King Mob

Altar tools, where do you store them?
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:47:46 pm »
I've mainly stored tools on my shrines. However, I've ran out of room and come into some that don't fit thematicall in with my shrines.

Where do you personally store them? I've read various things. How do feel about keeping them on your altar yourself or should they only be placed their when in use? I was just reading a Wiccan article that suggested as close to your altar and if possible, under it.
"A wolf  is  a  shadow  and  should  never  be  chained.  To  me,  Vánagandr  represents the  very  essence  of  chaos.  He  is  the  antithesis  of  law  and  order.  Without  chaos in  one's  life,  you  fall  into  stagnation  with  no  room  for  growth.  That  is  what  Vánagandr  represents."

pi_ramesses

Re: Altar tools, where do you store them?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:59:34 pm »
I've thought about this too. But I think compartmentalizing them in such a way that your frequently used items are in you altar is a good idea. The others could be stored underneath or in a chest or like one of those really large pillboxes.

So in my case, the altar would have a journal (or a book) with a pen, only one Tarot deck and a candle. Everything else is stored until I need it later.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:03:45 pm by pi_ramesses »
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra
Nylfmedli14

Xepera maSet

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:20:17 am »
I leave everything on my altar at all times.
AKA: Three Scarabs, 1137

"You look up into the night sky - whether as a child or an adult - and if you open yourself honestly, then it is a gateway to mystery, to the unknown."

pi_ramesses

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:39:32 am »
Also, I tend to get rid of the stuff not on the altar once I recognize that I'm not actually using them. Less clutter that way.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:03:03 am by pi_ramesses »
Nylfmedli14

Liu

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:42:39 am »
I leave most on the altar, or before or under it, depending on what it is and where I need it next.
What I almost always leave on it are candles and ornaments.

Some of the tools I also use in other contexts (e.g. scissors, or my journal), so I just put them wherever I use them.

My altar is in my room, so there is not that much space anyway.

Onyx

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:23:22 pm »
I try to keep the most important things on my main altar, but am pretty flexible since space is limited. Working on a couple more altars for different purposes, both have shelves involved, which should help keep things in their proper places.

This brings to mind the need for some to be secretive because of friends/family. I've never had to deal with that much, but like the idea of a "magic box", or simply treating your implements as decorations and bringing things together as required.

Mindmaster

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:26:40 pm »
I've mainly stored tools on my shrines. However, I've ran out of room and come into some that don't fit thematicall in with my shrines.

Where do you personally store them? I've read various things. How do feel about keeping them on your altar yourself or should they only be placed their when in use? I was just reading a Wiccan article that suggested as close to your altar and if possible, under it.

Don't have an altar, and use only one tool - a tiny little dagger. It just goes wherever I feel like placing it at the time, usually somewhere in sight. There are various witchy herbs strewn about, poppets stuffed in drawers, skulls abound, but altars... Hmm, they're just not my thing. Why make an altar when your whole house can be the place of ritual? I'm just not into doing things for aesthetics or because other people need them. I need next to nothing usuallly... dunno, for me the whole ritual space is a mental one... doesn't really matter what's in the room, etc... :D

I'm also perfectly content to do the ritual outside of the house at my fire pit or in the wild in the forest or something... Seems so much cooler anyway... :D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:28:11 pm by Mindmaster »

pi_ramesses

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:12:44 pm »
@Mindmaster I like that mobile dagger approach.
Nylfmedli14

Kapalika

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:57:43 am »
I used to have an altar and that whole sha-bang. Hadn't really made a new place since so it's always just about. I always have a bunch of sigils and other magically things about me though. Well, what I'll call "magical trinkets" basically necklaces and my mala and sometimes a bit more. It's more or less just what I need for something on the spot haha. I ain't so big into rituals now days... for me it's been more about introspection, meditation and japa.

There's something I've told people, to explain how I reconcile the use of deities with a nontheistic model, which is basically "What you put in gets returned to you". This is essentially how all magic works.

So it happens the things I need from and of myself most these days are easier done in those ways. It used to be ritual for me and I'd just keep everything needed for the ritual on the altar or in the ritual space / room.
My Music and Blog // My Chatroom
My religion is Satanism & Trika via Vāmāchāra (LHP)
"God and the individual are one, to realize this is the essence of Shaivism.” - Lakshman Joo

Liu

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 05:07:14 am »
Well, if we count stuff that has its spiritual uses and is not part of the altar... I got quite a bunch of pictures on the walls around (some with religious associations, some of a more ornamental nature), and my CD collection is arranged also quite neatly in a shelf.
The altar itself is very simple. A small table with a fire-proof plate on top, and some stuff lying on it. I mainly use it as a symbolic center/focus point, most of the actual work is done in front of it or elsewhere.

crossfire

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 01:15:58 pm »
I don't have a permanent altar.  I build a new one if I need to do a full, complicated ritual and my mind isn't up to elaborate visualization.  I keep a pair of phurbas by my desk, and have a skull on my dresser near a statue of Naga Kanya.  I have a few amulets/totems around the house that I'll throw some intentions and memories into as needed. The rest of my stuff is in a storage chest.
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

King Mob

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 01:49:46 pm »
It's really interesting to see how everyone has cultivated their own magical styles. I think this really highlights the need to evolve and grow in one's magical style.

I have found different things working for me at different times. Outside rituals can be amazing, and I prefer them depending on location and context.

As for portable altars, a cool thing I like is since altars can be a symbolic representative of your knowledge of the universe, is to use a book that fits the universe to you. I read of someone who used a huge book on quantam mechanics as an altar and I've used some comic omnibuses before because of the symbolism inside.

I also find astral temples great for "enlightenment" magick and scrying and it's a good tool in building your visualization skills but I find it lacking in other areas.

Where do you get the skulls from, @Mindmaster? I've been wanting to start a skull collection, lately. That sentence came out more disturbing than intended but hey, gothy and into left hand path stuff. I need to play up the stereotype somehow. Plus, they seem useful in LHP magic.

@Onyx The magic box reminds me of Flowers' suggestion to keep your runic talismans out of sight. Not just for secretive reasons, but metaphysical ones as well. Keep them more secret and holy to you as well less energy from others. I disagree with this philosophy, for now, and prefer to keep tools belonging to a certain paradigm on their shrines. I have the psychological thought that the Gods will protect them which is enough for me in both regards.

@Liu  Your idea reminds me of a visualization board, just on a grand scale. I've decorated my house with the "visualization" board idea in mind before and had decent success. I am actually trying to evolve this idea now in my own works. This is why I've been re-thinking my ideas of altar spaces.

Magick really is a art of it's own and it's awesome to see how individuals develop their own magical style. I think my favorite thing about the Left Hand Path approach is because it encourages individualism, styles revolve around learning the rules and the customizing and breaking them.

"A wolf  is  a  shadow  and  should  never  be  chained.  To  me,  Vánagandr  represents the  very  essence  of  chaos.  He  is  the  antithesis  of  law  and  order.  Without  chaos in  one's  life,  you  fall  into  stagnation  with  no  room  for  growth.  That  is  what  Vánagandr  represents."

Mindmaster

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 11:05:05 pm »
@King Mob - Some of my skulls are animal, just found roadkill cleaned them and voila. I do have paper machete ones, resin ones, and all sorts of other little things including a full laboratory skeleton. Needless to say, they're all pretty easy to find. Real bones (especially human) cost more, in general... If it's just for some ambiance I don't know that it matters. :D

Also, if you are interested in "portable altars" you should look up a witches stang, it's a commonly used item for traditional witches and Satanists of that bent. It's usually a forked stick upright like a Y, but they look pretty impressive when you put a skull of some sort in the V. (I have a small deer skull I've been saving for this purpose.) Anyway, the stang is a roaming altar the end of the stick is pointier and it creates a ritual space wherever you are standing. Witchy staff, altar, and cool decorum all in the same package. :D

Here's an example, but the "horns" might be made of metal or wood. A skull may or may not be used, it's all a preference. Just wanted to share some interesting "altar" ideas. :D

crossfire

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 09:56:55 am »
@King Mob - Some of my skulls are animal, just found roadkill cleaned them and voila. I do have paper machete ones, resin ones, and all sorts of other little things including a full laboratory skeleton. Needless to say, they're all pretty easy to find. Real bones (especially human) cost more, in general... If it's just for some ambiance I don't know that it matters. :D

Also, if you are interested in "portable altars" you should look up a witches stang, it's a commonly used item for traditional witches and Satanists of that bent. It's usually a forked stick upright like a Y, but they look pretty impressive when you put a skull of some sort in the V. (I have a small deer skull I've been saving for this purpose.) Anyway, the stang is a roaming altar the end of the stick is pointier and it creates a ritual space wherever you are standing. Witchy staff, altar, and cool decorum all in the same package. :D

Here's an example, but the "horns" might be made of metal or wood. A skull may or may not be used, it's all a preference. Just wanted to share some interesting "altar" ideas. :D

A stang represents the axis mundi like a phurba?
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

Mindmaster

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 04:49:47 pm »
A stang represents the axis mundi like a phurba?

Yes, that'd be a proper understanding of its use. Though, I had no idea what a phurba was until I googled it. :D

Regardless, it's generally a traditional witches "instant ritual" item though it is a fav with "traditional" Satanists as well. It seems to be unknown to the mainstream LHP for whatever reason. Anyway, here's a quote by Sarah Ann Lawless:

"If you practice within the umbrella of Traditional Witchcraft you can use a stang or staff in your rituals to access the World Tree. For ritual, the stang is struck into the ground outdoors (at a crossroad is best). The part in the earth reaching down to the underworld like the roots of a tree, the branch representing our realm, and the tines reaching to the heavens uniting the three realms and opening a doorway to the Otherworld. After calling upon the six directions the gods or spirits may be drawn down or up through the stang to be petitioned or communicated with during the ritual. A live tree or staff can be used in a similar manner." - http://sarahannelawless.com/2010/08/04/on-circle-casting-and-the-world-tree/