Author Topic: Thought experiment  (Read 112 times)

Xepera maSet

• O.S. Co-Founder
  • Administrator
  • Eternally Grateful to Our Forum Members; HAIL YOU!
    • View Profile
    • My Book on Setianism
Thought experiment
« on: July 21, 2018, 05:08:33 pm »
There is a serial torturer and killer on the loose and police know who he is and where he is. They've found a list of who he plans to attack next, and you're on it. Instead of arresting the criminal, police come to you and tell you that you'll have to give them things and praise them publically or they'll stop protecting you and let the killer after you. So long as you give them things and praise them you are safe, but the second you stop it will be torture and death.

Is this police force a moral and ethical organization? Would you want them to be in charge of your city or state? Would you support this police force?

Now go back and re-read Genesis :)

"The Dragon became as a many-headed Serpent,
It's fiery tongues bearing forth speech
Into all the kingoms of the Earth."

My book, "Behold: the Prince of Darkness!": https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1726037460/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1726037460

Olive

Re: Thought experiment
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 06:41:50 pm »
Is this police force a moral and ethical organization? Would you want them to be in charge of your city or state? Would you support this police force?

Hell no. See my treatise on moral realism. Subjugating you by the threat of force amounts to enslavement. Verdict: GUILTY!

Just like that god of lies and vanity, yahveh.
    Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven, and gazing on the earth,
     Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth, -
And ever-changing, like a joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

-Percy Bysshe Shelley

pi_rameses

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 02:32:08 am »
Why this isn't clear to nearly enough people is beyond me. For whatever reason, orthodoxy has become authoritative in the lives of masses. Their own thoughts would terrify themselves.
Master Willem was right. Evolution without courage will be the ruin of our race.
-Lawrence

NEMO 93

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 07:06:52 am »
We have the liberty of not needing Empires today but imagine the police force as an early empire, such as the Akkadian one, and the serial killer as the forces of nature. When Judiaism formed into a monotheistic religion from their pagan origins, they transfered faith into the Empire into an abstract concept such as God since they were rebelling against the common practices of the Empire they fell under.

They, of course, ended up going the completely other direction and demonizing what who they viewed as oppressors such as Cannanites but my point is you can see how Genesis developed in that day. At that time, it wasn't too unethical- it was just how civilization worked.

Hell, you can see the same thing nearly in all religions- Titans are the primordial forces of nature that Gods protected people from in Greek and Roman Paganism.