Author Topic: The Tao  (Read 370 times)

pi_rameses

The Tao
« on: October 26, 2017, 11:51:53 pm »
I revisited the Tao te Ching and the Inner Teachings of Chuangzu the other day. I was reading from the Thomas Cleary translation. Lately, I am starting to prefer the format of aphorisms and appreciate how it involves the reader to unpack its meaning. This is much like the Tao, although no one can profess outright to have penetrated its mysteries entirely. What do you guys make of the Tao? I'll leave two excerpts below - one from the Tao te Ching and another from the Inner Teachings of Chuangzu:

11. Thirty Spokes

Thirty spokes join at the hub:
Their use for the cart
Is where they are not.
When the potter's wheel makes a pot,
The use of the pot
Is precisely where there is nothing.
When you open doors and windows for a room,
It is where there is nothing
That they are useful to the room.
Therefore being is for benefit,
Nonbeing is for usefulness.

2. On Equalizing Things

... Once Chuang Chou dreamed he was a butterfly. He was happy as a butterfly, enjoying himself and going where he wanted. He did not know he was Chou. Suddenly, he awoke, whereupon he was startled to find he was Chou. He didn't know whether Chou had dreamed he was a butterfly, or if a butterfly were dreaming it was Chou. But as Chou and the butterfly, there must be a distinction. This is called the transformation of beings.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:56:18 am by pi_ramesses »
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra

crossfire

Re: The Tao
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 01:25:34 pm »
This is one of my favorite excerpts from Changzi's Making All Things Equal
The torch of chaos and doubt - this is what the sage steers by. So he does not use things but relegates all to the constant. This is what it means to use clarity.  {the constant being change}

Now I am going to make a statement here. I don't know whether it fits into the category of other people's statements or not. But whether it fits into their category or whether it doesn't, it obviously fits into some category. So in that respect it is no different from their statements. However, let me try making my statement.

There is a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is being. There is nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. Suddenly there is nonbeing. But I do not know, when it comes to nonbeing, which is really being and which is nonbeing. Now I have just said something. But I don't know whether what I have said has really said something or whether it hasn't said something.

It goes well with your Tao Te Ching excerpt of non-being is for usefulness.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:27:57 pm by crossfire »
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung

pi_rameses

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 05:40:38 pm »
  :)
Pro omnis dominos viae sinistra, sic itur ad astra

crossfire

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 05:59:28 am »
  :)
I really like Chuangzi's sense of humor. ;)
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
~Carl Jung