Author Topic: Billy Brujo-Scrapbook of Shadows  (Read 111 times)

King Mob

Billy Brujo-Scrapbook of Shadows
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:19:30 pm »

It's a rather simple idea, I'm sure most have already thought of it. And there's a debate on if writing something by hand is better. However, I've been wanting to start a new grimoire lately as my old one is falling apart and my handwriting sucks. This video was actually pretty inspiring idea for me.

I can print out certain things from PDF grimoires and write something on lined paper and add it in as I go. I'm actually surprised I never thought of it. I think a mix of hand-drawn and noted and scrap-booked is a good combination.
"A wolf  is  a  shadow  and  should  never  be  chained.  To  me,  Vánagandr  represents the  very  essence  of  chaos.  He  is  the  antithesis  of  law  and  order.  Without  chaos in  one's  life,  you  fall  into  stagnation  with  no  room  for  growth.  That  is  what  Vánagandr  represents."

Liu

Re: Billy Brujo-Scrapbook of Shadows
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:02:52 pm »
Ah, I remember watching that vid couple days ago. Fun channel but he rarely mentions things I'd actually find useful.

I have a journal (which includes mundane notes as well as for example a dream journal), but not a grimoire.
Well, in a way my journal in and of itself is a tool of magic as I use it for goal-setting, self-reflection and motivating myself. In other words, a tool of shadow work and self-transformation, even if in a pretty unspectacular and basic way. if I write something in my to-do lists there, it makes it a ton more likely to actually happen ;)

But seriously, what do y'all put in grimoires anyway?
Most kinds of rituals I did so far didn't include much in regards to notes and were so rare that it didn't seem worthwhile to start a new journal for them. I mentioned them in my general journal. The only reason I see why I should put such in another notebook would be to make it easier to find it again later.
Also, I rarely use for example the same prayer twice, except for devotional purposes. Again, nothing I need to write down. Either I know it by heart or I tend not to use it anyway.

Well okay, I've now begun with the workings mentioned in Michael Kelly's books and I've printed out his notes on the rune meanings and postures he recommends, as well as the 5 rune poems that are preserved, as I wanna study those during the evening when my computers are turned off. And those texts look like some source material I might want to come back to once again in a while.
But that's pretty much an exception to me, it's pretty rare that I work with any fixed source materials like that that are not of my own making.

King Mob

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:52:16 pm »
I mainly agree about Billy Brujo, fun channel. Mostly stuff I know or isn't relevant to me. His recent tarot series has been fun and Im looking forward to catching up on it to start his enochian series though. Of course, Enochian requires its own study but a nice 101 video is something I would severely need to begin a study. Also, he's what got me to seriously consider hoodoo magic as part of my style.

And ah, the Dragon Runes is exactly what I thought of when I saw this video. I want to print out the Dragon Rune pages and add my own notes from personal gnosis as well as from a few Flower's book I have so I finally don't have to go look through like 3-5 books when working with runes. -_-

My already existing grimoire is esentially a prototype of a mish mash system. It's all 101 stuff I have to study regarding runes, kaballah, and beginner rituals such as LBRP or Hammer Rite as well as a few tarot and rune reading layouts. It's been with me since the beginning so it's severely out-dated. I highly recommend hand-copying 101 stuff when learning it in any system as it helps with memorization.

Some personal chaos magic stuff I created and again the 101 notes on that system(Liber Lux and Liber Nox pentagrams) and some of Carrol's formulas.

I'm at an empasse where I already have the relevant stuff memorized and the irrelevant stuff is just taking up space and the remaining relevant stuff way too simplified. Just horrible planning. I have a lot of blank pages left but I want to start over with my current interests and skill level.

I still think it's a wise idea to mainly incorporate systems rather than direct spells but I've come across a few spells in grimoires I really want to hold on to and have for a quick reference. Plus for those who work with stuff that requires seals such as spirits or demonalotry, a grimoire could be useful for that.

There's not much of a use for the specifics if you don't re-use stuff but I mean, I feel like it's a good idea to have a few reliable rituals when you're in a bind.

For me, starting a new one is mainly about condensing space. Cutting up specific things I need at this time in my life and reliable stuff to have in one handy go to book.
"A wolf  is  a  shadow  and  should  never  be  chained.  To  me,  Vánagandr  represents the  very  essence  of  chaos.  He  is  the  antithesis  of  law  and  order.  Without  chaos in  one's  life,  you  fall  into  stagnation  with  no  room  for  growth.  That  is  what  Vánagandr  represents."

Liu

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 02:40:36 am »
My already existing grimoire is esentially a prototype of a mish mash system. It's all 101 stuff I have to study regarding runes, kaballah, and beginner rituals such as LBRP or Hammer Rite as well as a few tarot and rune reading layouts. It's been with me since the beginning so it's severely out-dated. I highly recommend hand-copying 101 stuff when learning it in any system as it helps with memorization.
Again one of these moments where I think, I'd be doing this with pretty much any other kind of learning, why not with this?

I still think it's a wise idea to mainly incorporate systems rather than direct spells but I've come across a few spells in grimoires I really want to hold on to and have for a quick reference. Plus for those who work with stuff that requires seals such as spirits or demonalotry, a grimoire could be useful for that.

There's not much of a use for the specifics if you don't re-use stuff but I mean, I feel like it's a good idea to have a few reliable rituals when you're in a bind.

Now that I'm getting more serious about rituals that might actually be a good idea.

Just, those few I did that were formal enough to make writing them down helpful - I got zero results from them. Or in some cases I rather got pretty much the opposite of what I asked for.

For example, I once asked Hypnos, using an ancient prayer to him that I had stumbled upon (the ritual was a tad more complicated than that but that was the main ingredient), to help me fall asleep more easily as I was struggling with depression. Well, that night I lay awake for 3 hours or so, but not even because of my own insomnia but because my neighbours were partying even longer than normally and my dad even decided to spontaneously join them and do a concert for them with his guitar :huh:
In the following days, my sleeping pattern didn't improve a bit. Well, I now (over half a year later) got it under control, more or less (still have hypersomnia, but hell, that part I didn't ask about in the ritual anyway), but it took much longer than making it likely to relate to the ritual.

So who knows what I did wrong. Perhaps Hypnos didn't like that I depictured him similar to the pokemon of almost the same name :mrgreen: but that's the kind of associations I normally use.
Or maybe I did nothing wrong and the results I got were to make me doing the changes necessary to bring about the change myself. Who knows.

For less complicated rituals, as in, make this gesture to feel that way (For example, for that same goal of falling asleep easily I press my tongue against the part behind my upper teeth while lying in bed. That at least makes me feel tired), starting a list could lead to using such more often, not forgetting it and maybe even come up with new ideas.

Reminds me of the practice recommentations in that book by Jan Fries I recently read where he basically gives instructions on how to figure out which gestures, visualizations etc. have which influence on one's mind. Didn't get myself to try out much of that yet, but having a proper place for notes on these things might help motivate me. That would also be a neat place for UPGs regarding the runes. Okay, now I just gotta figure out how to format that in a way that allows me both to re-find things and to add new notes...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:44:59 am by Liu »

King Mob

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:08:21 pm »
@Liu  You know, medial magick usually has more better and more instant results to me than Greater Black Magick when looking for practical results. Maybe there's something to doing it astrally/visualization or imagination, whatever you prefer to call it.

That said, I find Greater Magick invaluable for trying to learn new things. Whether it be enlightenment focused goals or picking apart other people's spells. I think God work leaves a lot of variables up to something. It's rather effective IF you do the research on the God and figure out what pleases them, what offends them. I don't see this so much as subjecting yourself but if you were to approach a friend for a favor, you wouldn't offend him while doing so but you'd still be leaving it up to a lot of variables; ie their will- even if you view them as archetypes and symbols, their symbolization incorporates a lot.

Some gods will rather you change yourself than help you out as well. I'm looking at you, Norse Panthenon. I highly recommend the Olympians or Kemetic deities for causing change for you. And if you like working out of grimoires, Book of Abrasax is an amazing result of updating selections the Graeco Magical Papyri that focuses mainly on Greek and Egyptian panthenons. There's actually a curse calling upon Set-Typhon.

Actually, after pushing my physical limits due to yoga and working in the first limit, I'm starting to think I'm not achieving the gnosis nesecarry for my magic rather than funky symbolization being the problem. That said, defnitely refining symbolization is a good idea. If I was doing a ritual for sleep and I wanted to chaos magick it, I'd use Dream from Sandman rather than attribute a Pokemon card to Hypnos but that's just me. I tend to work faithfully in systems when using them.

King Mob

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 01:15:07 pm »
So my sketchbook came in today. I got the kind recommended in this video. I'd like to stencil something onto the front of it. It's 100 pages but it's pretty huge, 9 to 12 inches so between cutting up what I print out, it should be pretty easy to make last a while. It definitely is very grimoire feeling due to the hardback and black print and large size, much more so than my leather book that's rather floppy and falling apart.

Another thought on grimoires I had is to partially use it as a hypersigil. For example, putting some kind of charge via symbolism or belief into it. One of the few things I like from the whole Wicca philosophy is their view that writing down spells into a book charges it and makes it your own. Taking that to a chaos magic perspective, you can use it as microcosm to put charged intent in for bigger, long term things only.

I look forward to getting started on it.

Liu

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 01:45:24 pm »
@Liu  You know, medial magick usually has more better and more instant results to me than Greater Black Magick when looking for practical results. Maybe there's something to doing it astrally/visualization or imagination, whatever you prefer to call it.
What do you mean by medial magick? Something between higher and lower? And by which definition of those?

It's rather effective IF you do the research on the God and figure out what pleases them, what offends them. I don't see this so much as subjecting yourself but if you were to approach a friend for a favor, you wouldn't offend him while doing so but you'd still be leaving it up to a lot of variables; ie their will- even if you view them as archetypes and symbols, their symbolization incorporates a lot.
[...]
That said, defnitely refining symbolization is a good idea. If I was doing a ritual for sleep and I wanted to chaos magick it, I'd use Dream from Sandman rather than attribute a Pokemon card to Hypnos but that's just me. I tend to work faithfully in systems when using them.
The issue might be that I'm pretty much agnostic/skeptical about the actual existence of deities. I mean, doing one's research should be worthwhile in any case, if just for getting more into it and therefore better able to focus, but who knows whether anything anyone ever wrote about them is true anyway. So I rather go by my own associations - hell, who can tell whether I was not actually given those ideas by the entities in question?

Some gods will rather you change yourself than help you out as well. I'm looking at you, Norse Panthenon. I highly recommend the Olympians or Kemetic deities for causing change for you. And if you like working out of grimoires, Book of Abrasax is an amazing result of updating selections the Graeco Magical Papyri that focuses mainly on Greek and Egyptian panthenons. There's actually a curse calling upon Set-Typhon.
Thanks for the recommendations. Haven't felt really drawn to either of the groups you listed so far, though.

King Mob

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 01:31:58 pm »
It was in some temple of set paper or Uncle Seknaht's guide to LHP, probably the latter. Medial is esentially not the lesser black magick thats psychological or the high garb ceremonial but something as simple as staring at a candle or doing something basic astrally, like Peter Carroll's chaobolt, though I can never get darn chaobolt to work in medial magick.

And you know, I was the same way with deities. I mean, actually, I was basically athiest. Morrison's lecture at Disinfocon gave a convincing psychological model for it. Since doing my research, I evolved into Jungian's  Collective Unconcious but at the same time, I can't say they're not egregors or exist or don't, any of that. Just if you do certain things, they will happen.

The reason I research so much is because well, I figure this stuff is buried into the collective unconcious on some level. If I say bugs bunny, you probably think "what's up, doc?" or him eating a carrot and 90 percent of people will do that. That doesn't mean you shouldn't chaos magic it at all, I tend to personalize it a lot but honestly, I've seen a WORLD of difference the few times I've worked directly out of grimoires with certain results that are hard to ignore. So there is something to using peer-reviewed stuff. Gotta learn it to break it, right? Plus the research part is an essential part of the lessons of Hod, think enough to make sure youre not fucking up. Hell, even if you want to be a trickster archetype an do trial by fire think enough to know you can fix whatever youre fucking up.

If you're going the collective unconcious paradigm, I'd recommend looking into your heritage and starting there. There's like hundred thousan religions or so so something should have something to help you.

Liu

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 08:00:37 am »
It was in some temple of set paper or Uncle Seknaht's guide to LHP, probably the latter. Medial is esentially not the lesser black magick thats psychological or the high garb ceremonial but something as simple as staring at a candle or doing something basic astrally, like Peter Carroll's chaobolt, though I can never get darn chaobolt to work in medial magick.
I'd count that as higher magick. To me, lesser black magick is psychological tricks to influence other people, whereas higher black magick is trying to influence yourself, be it that it works only psychologically or otherwise, and trying to change one's luck. The actual method doesn't matter.

The reason I research so much is because well, I figure this stuff is buried into the collective unconcious on some level. If I say bugs bunny, you probably think "what's up, doc?" or him eating a carrot and 90 percent of people will do that.
90% in the US maybe, but I live in Germany and haven't watched a single episode of Bugs Bunny as far as I can remember. I know how he looks like, but that's about it. So, it's only in the collective unconscious of part of the population - unless you believe in a theory of collective unconscious that connects everyone to the same collective unconscious and that at the same time also includes such completely culture-specific things.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't chaos magic it at all, I tend to personalize it a lot but honestly, I've seen a WORLD of difference the few times I've worked directly out of grimoires with certain results that are hard to ignore. So there is something to using peer-reviewed stuff.
Good argument, but doesn't entirely convince me. It could as well be placebo: You know it's out of some old grimoire and therefore you unconsciously put more trust into it.

If you're going the collective unconcious paradigm, I'd recommend looking into your heritage and starting there. There's like hundred thousan religions or so so something should have something to help you.
If I go by my heritage I have to work with the Germanic tradition. I was told my family name can be traced back about 1000 years to something Saxon. Haven't done research about my maternal ancestors, though.
Well, the Germanic one is one of the traditions I do feel drawn to more than to others, and as a language historian I also know quite a bit about it anyway, but those seem better reasons to me than speculations about my unconscious heritage.